Ravinia Buses

jesi2282

Where are the Pace Ravina buses (8900 and 2100) based?, are they still running?

They are based in Highland Park and are used exclusively for the Ravinia service. I believe they are stored at a public works garage. I remember seeing buses parked there behind a golf course once a while ago (which course escapes me now). I believe Ravinia is done for the season.

The public works garage is on Half Day Road just east of 41. The Highland Park County Club is on West Park Ave, and the two abut at the Skokie River.

I previously asked why all the 8900s were still at South Holland, and was told then it was for Ravinia. Maybe they winter down there.

Do you think they will be used next year?
What do you mean "they?" There will be a Ravinia service as long as Highland Park pays for it. Whether there will be a newer set of buses that are withdrawn from fixed route service, but not technically retired (according to pace2322's official definition), who knows, especially with the uncertainty about fixed route service levels next year.

• 4 weeks later...

Street view is just a street map. To see anything real, you need satellite or hybrid. Are you talking Google Maps or something else (such as Google Earth)? Please post the url (using the Link to This Page link).

In any event, they aren't necessarily up to date. See, for instance, this map of the site of the former 69th St. CTA barn, which shows as vacant lot instead of a Food4Less. Closer by, the map for Lake Cook Plaza still has the Chili's instead of the separate National City Bank (with drive ups).

Also, the buses appear to be 2 cars long, and since a car is usually about 200 inches (16 feet), that would indicate 35 foot buses, not 40.

Street view is just a street map. To see anything real, you need satellite or hybrid. Are you talking Google Maps or something else (such as Google Earth)? Please post the url (using the Link to This Page link).

Street View uses imagery taken from a set of cameras mounted on top a vehicle. Most of this imagery in the Chicagoland area is about three months old. I beleive this is the image jesi2282 was referring to.

Thanks. I guess I didn't know that you have to click on the figurine, and then pan around.

The zoom levels make it hard to make out the fleet number. I thought I saw 89. However, the lack of black masking around the windows puts me in the direction of a 2120.