Pace Route 616 Run.....

Today will be my last run (Run 31) on the Pace #616 before it is eliminated after its final run tomorrow. Its final departure from Rosemont will be at 6:12p friday to Arlington Hts Rd/Devon ave. I will take photographs and maybe some video this afternoon if time permits.

The Tribune report had an anecdote from one of the riders of that route.

The question is whether it has been indicated whether, in the case of a resolution (which I do not see immediately happening), the word is whether the route would be reinstated, or, as indicated by Pace, permanently gone.

The Tribune report had an anecdote from one of the riders of that route.

The question is whether it has been indicated whether, in the case of a resolution (which I do not see immediately happening), the word is whether the route would be reinstated, or, as indicated by Pace, permanently gone.

If I were a betting man.....RIP.

If I were a betting man.....RIP.

Today while I was making my last trip to Rosemont on the #616 traveling on the 90 inbound I spotted a brand new New Flyer D40LF Low Floor passing alongside me. The bus was all white, it was completely unmarked, no bus company name or fleet number but it did have a route sign marked #1. The operator of the New Flyer and I exchanged greetings as he passed me up. It certainly was not headed to CTA because it had a different taillight design.

I rode the #616 last month just for fun. I caught the 4:10 PM trip out of Rosemont, being ran with 2308. When I got on only 3 people (including myself) were on the the bus. Once we got to the Northwest Point Park N' Ride the only 2 riders got off, the bus ran empty all the way to Spring Lake. After talking to the operater during the 30 minute layover the bus once again ran empty until the Itasca Metra Station, A Metra train just pulled out and I saw a lot of people coming toward the bus, but only 1 person got on. It was not until we got back to Northwest Point Park N' Ride that 10 people got on the bus. Besides myself only 12 people for that trip, very poor ridership.

post-3-1193978436_thumb.jpg

Getting back to my original question, which is directed to CTA5750: Any word from your employer what will happen to 616, either if (1) the Gov's money comes through, or (2) there is some resolution to the legislative mess? Also, were some drivers let go, or did Colonial have other work for them?

I feel so sorry for you, CTA5750, that your favorite PACE route had to be cut. I think it's a shame the state of Illinois had to resort to this. Anyway, this is to CTA5750: do you about any further cuts being made over at Academy? I wouldn't want anyone else to lose their job over all of this. I hope that no more cuts are made over there and everybody who works at one of transit companies, well, take care.

Getting back to my original question, which is directed to CTA5750: Any word from your employer what will happen to 616, either if (1) the Gov's money comes through, or (2) there is some resolution to the legislative mess? Also, were some drivers let go, or did Colonial have other work for them?

So far there was no talk about bringing back #616. As for my operator position at Colonial, I will not be affected. My postion will remain and I do not have to work the Colonial charters. When I was hired back in April I let Colonial know right away that Im only interested in working the Pace contract, with my fire dept. position I cant afford to work charters because they work considerably longer hours and I feel it will affect my family life and my firefighter postion. So I will remain part time status. As for any rumors about layoffs, Ive spoken to my immediate supervisors and they assure me that no operators who work the Pace runs will be cut. So thats a good sign!, Im really enjoying the work Im doing. I hope to remain with Academy/Colonial for a good while.

I feel so sorry for you, CTA5750, that your favorite PACE route had to be cut. I think it's a shame the state of Illinois had to resort to this. Anyway, this is to CTA5750: do you about any further cuts being made over at Academy? I wouldn't want anyone else to lose their job over all of this. I hope that no more cuts are made over there and everybody who works at one of transit companies, well, take care.

Thank you Buslover, No there are no plans to cut any other service run by Academy. We will continue to operate the remaining 5 routes 326, 600, 606, 696, 699. I dont know if Academy will reduce the fleet now that 616 will cease operations today. Actually I wished we picked up more Pace routes. If anything Colonial is still soliciting for operator positions.

Great news!!! Thanks to the $27 million dollars coming, $6 million will be going to Pace. Pace now says it will hold off on all service cuts through the end of the year. Route 616 will not cease operations, I got word yesterday from Academy.

Yesterday I worked Run 31 on Route 616, I couldnt believe it that Run 32, a run I haved worked many times using an Orion. This run yesterday was operated by a NABI #6604. Run 32 is that last departure from Spring Lake in Itasca to Rosemont, I was the bus in front of Run 32. When I arrived at the Itasca Metra I met #6604. Very unusual!!