Interlining

trainman8119

I am wondering how many Pace riders out there go batty with their interlining of routes.

For example, the 234 operates between Wheeling and Des Plaines Metra. The 209 now operates between Des Plaines Metra and the Harlem CTA station. Looking at the 2 schedules (and probably at the bus when it gets to Des Plaines), in many cases, it'll ultimately be the same bus going thru, just changing destination signs on the time out at the station.

This process drives me nuts, and they do it all the time. It did when I worked for the company and it does today. If 90 percent of the buses are going to go through, how about designating a route, say 234 or 209 from Wheeling to Harlem CTA. I mean, that is the route, isn't it ????

In this case, and the 270/272, it's probably because:

• Not all buses go through, i.e. 209 runs every 30 minutes, but 234 runs once an hour.
  • Some are mixed runs, i.e. some 272s are 270s from Northwest, and others are from North (Waukegan).
  • It's probably to keep revenue numbers separate (i.e. gives them ammunition to kill 234, which they have tried on several occasions, because of low ridership).

Actually, as mentioned in my previous post on the 384/386, just about all Pace routes are interlined to some extent, because the schedules are not integral multiples of an hour. More often, though, this is at the terminal, such as Midway, where most of the Southwest lines interline, but this is more of an instance of "going back in a different direction," rather than thrulining, as in the two instances noted.

In a Yahoo group, Adam Kerman takes credit for suggesting the connection of the 234 to the 209.

Adam was a guy who called and wrote our customer service center at least once a week. The interlining is a money thing and nothing more. It gives them the opportunity to use 1 driver and 1 bus on two routes. In the smaller districts such as Fox Valley and Elgin, for example, it is done to reduce some of the boredom for the drivers because the routes are very short.

My point on the matter is that when you look at a Pace schedule, using the 234/209 combination for example, just about every trip interlines at Des Plaines. I would bet if you could get a look at a trip sheet, the trips that don't interline end up being trips back to the garage. The 234/209 is a straight shot with many or most actually going right through...2 routes in one...just make it one. Many of the other interlines are just single trips here and there to make an 8 hour (or whatever) day for the driver....thus you would have a 384/386 combo or a 552/554 (Elgin) combo or a 526/530 (Aurora) mix.

I had the opportunity to work with some of the planners at Pace when I was there. Although there were a few who did go out and investigate possible service improvements, there were those who just looked at the schedule bins with their hands on hips and would say out loud, "what can we change this week". This is the truth, no bull. Many times valid calls for suggestions would be overlooked for this creative manner of "planning".

Check out West Division...ALOT of through routing 315/320 (madison/austin), 307/318/319 (a 302 was thrown in there on limited occasions @ odgen).

Northwest Division used to have 209/228 combinations before the realignment, and Keeshin/Colonial had switches between 600 and 606 (sometimes to/from 326's) during the weekdays.

The best way to discover an interlining (at a terminal) is to find a schedule where the bus leaves 10 minutes before it arrives. I first noticed this when riding the 212 into Evanston, which met the next one at about McCormick. But when I got out, my bus was "208 Des Plaines."

The most complicated ones are on Saturday. One strange one of that type was at Hammond, where 364 made a round trip to Hegwisch on 355, then went back out on 350, and the eastbound 350 became a 364. That ended when the 159th Street corridor was restructured.

Maybe we can have a contest here for the most complicated.

Also, trainman8119, please recheck the 209 schedule and compare it to 234. Except a couple of times during the p.m. weekday rush, only half of the 209s go on to 234. I don't see how Pace is doing anything untoward here, in that the buses that go through are indicated with H legends on the schedule. If nothing else, they could be sneaky, not use the legend, and demand that the riders pay 25 cents for a transfer at that point. I don't see how interlining becomes a "money thing" in that the same number of buses would have to be used in any event, except, instead of the 234 immediately turning back, it does a 209 run and starts another 234 trip an hour later than otherwise.

On the other hand, there is the revenue allocation matter, as previously said. Similarly, an explanation for keeping 272 separate is that it is funded by CMAQ.

Agreed...alternate trips on the 209 do the 234. However, all but 2 of the 234's during the week go into 209's and all but the last trip on Saturday and Sunday. So, I would say the route should be 234 with short trips to Des Plaines.

As for the transfer thing...hmmmm sounds like an idea to boost revenues (ha ha, just kidding). Actually, Pace does recognize those going through on an interline as transferring, so they get some cash on the deal from Uncle Sam. When the ride counts go on to the government bean counters that dish out the revenue based on rides, they are seeing those people as transfers. The bus operators are instructed to count the number of people going through and register them in the farebox as transfers.

I still say it would be a heck of a lot less confusing if something like this situation were just made into one route. If you have something going from north to south or straight east to west, make it one route. If you are just doing a route swap to fill in time keep it the way it is. If it is regular enough to note on the schedule, it would be less confusing to the average user if it were just one single route.

Picture this...wouldn't the timetable be much easier to read if it were 209 or 234 (pick a number). Then if bus went as far as Des Plaines that would be the end of it. If it went on to Wheeling, show the times. Not only would it be easier for the rider to read the timetable and/or find the bus on the street, it would also probably save some $$ in print costs. As for the argument that it would be easier to cut a route by showing low ridership, you can do the same by cutting part of the route if you wanted too. Numbers have a way of always being manipulated.

My point on this whole matter is that if Pace (and CTA and Metra for that matter) would address some of the more simple things and make some of the basic things easier and more user friendly, they would probably not have to invest huge sums of money on some of the things that only a few have (like up to the minute schedules on the computer). The bread and butter riders are those who just want a bus or train and not all the bells and whistles. One bus that goes from point A to point C should be one route, even if some of the trips stop at point B....pure and simple. In the old days, the CTA used to put a red slash through the route number when a bus didn't go to the furthest terminal. Real simple...no funny voices, few signs that were dark..you knew what you had and where you were going.

• 1 year later...

A couple of things that might interest trainman regarding interlining in Waukegan.

• Sunday schedules indicate that they are interlined.
  • The 568 schedule indicates that some trips serve WalMart via Route 564, and a transfer is required.

Also interesting that they renamed the bus from Lakehurst via McAllister to Belvidere (Road), where it actually runs. While this recognizes that Lakehurst isn't there anymore, I wonder if they adjusted the destination signs.

Also interesting that they renamed the bus from Lakehurst via McAllister to Belvidere (Road), where it actually runs. While this recognizes that Lakehurst isn't there anymore, I wonder if they adjusted the destination signs.

My guess is that the signs would be updated. That is generally one thing Pace does do well is keep that programming up to date (although not always clearly). I still contend, that if every bus interlines from one route to the other, as these 2 do, then it should just be considered one route. You would only need to print one schedule, have the same checkpoints, one set of bus stops and would be able to claim single seat service (one of the buzzwords in the 208 and 250 route changes). However, if you do that you can't claim 2 riders as is being done now (and that is probably the real reason it is 2 and not one).