Garages

trainman8119

Has there been any talk about new garages on the horizon. I remember hearing something awhile back, about the time North Avenue closed about a garage around Diversey and Elston that would replace the then Limits garage. Since then, 74th replaced 69th and Chicago replaced North, but nothing ever happend with Limits going by the wayside.

I also heard something about Forest Glen being replaced in a revamped street set up around the forest preserve at Central and Caldwell which had something to do with some new Metra parking around there. Any truth to that. That would make some sense to me since everything is outside and it created a situation a couple years ago that had the major switch of 5300 series equipment for 6000 equipment (before the arrival of the Nova's there).

Also, why does Chicago have a garage code of "5" and not "C". I see some C's and some 5's on the buses.

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing in the capital plan budget details was possible replacement of 77. Krambles' book said in 1992 that Archer was due for replacement, but they took care of it by posting a sign "serving the neighborhood for 9 decades."

I believe that the 5 garage code goes back to when the run numbers were on the 4 roller signs and suspect that there wasn't a C one. Back in 1972, I would have made North/Cicero C so that North Park would have been N, and you wouldn't now have the problem.

Trainman8119,you've heard of a Garage at Diversey/Elston. That would be Awsome,maybe that might being back the #41 Elston. Who Knows,

Time will Tell.

No, neither will happen. Limits runs were transferred to Kedzie or North Park, and there is no need for the additional garage.

• 2 months later...