If You Think Your Feedback Really Counts

trainman8119

For those who think your mail campaining to save mass transit really works, take a look at this

which I received via e-mail this afternoon...

I want to thank you for doing your part to help save mass transit. You and thousands of others sent emails, postcards and video messages to lawmakers this week urging them to pass a bill that provides a long-term solution for mass transit and end the constant threat of doomsday fare hikes, service cuts and lay offs at the CTA.

Congratulations – you were successful. On Thursday, the House and Senate passed a transit bill sponsored by State Representative Julie Hamos that would provide funding to the CTA, Metra and Pace. It’s not the bill that I supported, it relies in part on a .25% increase in the sales tax in Chicago and the surrounding counties. But I said yesterday that I will improve it to protect seniors from the impact of that sales tax increase passed by lawmakers. My changes will make sure seniors across the state will be able to use public transportation for free on fixed routes and main lines. A senior who uses public transportation twice a week could save $176 a year on CTA fares, $156 a year on Pace fares and $405 a year on Metra fares.

But our work is not done.

Lawmakers will now have to vote next week to approve these important changes. That means they have to quickly return to Springfield and cast their vote to ensure an end to transit doomsday and to protect seniors from their sales tax increase.

Join me in this fight – Send a message to your legislators telling them to accept these improvements by visiting www.illinois.gov and filling out the online form.

Thank you for your hard work.

Sincerely,

Rod R. Blagojevich

Governor

The catch...I sent an e-mail urging defeat of the bill with reasons why. Obviously, this stuff is not looked at or considered for content, but I am a hero. What a joke !!! You can bet I won't be sending any messages to any legislater, at least until they come looking for a vote. I'll tell them I support Snoopy. I'll get the same attention.

For those who think your mail campaining to save mass transit really works, take a look at this

which I received via e-mail this afternoon...

The catch...I sent an e-mail urging defeat of the bill with reasons why. Obviously, this stuff is not looked at or considered for content, but I am a hero. What a joke !!! You can bet I won't be sending any messages to any legislater, at least until they come looking for a vote. I'll tell them I support Snoopy. I'll get the same attention.

The question is to whom you sent the e-mail? If it was to a legislator, why would the legislator turn it over to the governor's mailing list? Or did you e-mail the governor to veto it? Or was this through one of the click sites I have disparaged?

When I made my pitch to my State Representative and Senator last March, it was in print and by snail mail. However, I fully realize that politicians will use any marketing tool they can, even though, if they had read my letter, they would have realized that the bill did not fulfill my reform objectives (except it did get Carole Brown off the RTA board, if the prior versions of the bill were carried forward).

It is apparently as effective as an e-mail I just received saying that I won the English lottery, if I only send some information, and probably just as harmful to give a politician your e-mail address.

The question is to whom you sent the e-mail? If it was to a legislator, why would the legislator turn it over to the governor's mailing list? Or did you e-mail the governor to veto it? Or was this through one of the click sites I have disparaged?

When I made my pitch to my State Representative and Senator last March, it was in print and by snail mail. However, I fully realize that politicians will use any marketing tool they can, even though, if they had read my letter, they would have realized that the bill did not fulfill my reform objectives (except it did get Carole Brown off the RTA board, if the prior versions of the bill were carried forward).

It is apparently as effective as an e-mail I just received saying that I won the English lottery, if I only send some information, and probably just as harmful to give a politician your e-mail address.

Busjack, I've been reading about some type of reform you were seeking of the RTA board and I was wondering if you could help me understand your position a little better on this. What exactly are the reforms you hoped to see. I'm not challenging you or anything on this, and I apologize if I'm asking you to repeat something you may have already posted. I've been busy with my job recently and I'd just like to understand a little better where you coming from and to just be better informed is all.

Busjack, I've been reading about some type of reform you were seeking of the RTA board and I was wondering if you could help me understand your position a little better on this. What exactly are the reforms you hoped to see. I'm not challenging you or anything on this, and I apologize if I'm asking you to repeat something you may have already posted. I've been busy with my job recently and I'd just like to understand a little better where you coming from and to just be better informed is all.

Thank you for asking. (I thought you were answering for trainman, but you weren't.) Mostly what I have suggested can be inferred from my statements in this forum relating to political cronyism and CTA and Pace competition. However, to succinctly state what I wrote about:

1. On the topic of service overlap, current section 12a of the RTA Act says that the RTA may mediate a service dispute, and then if the service boards are not happy, they can ask the RTA to intervene, which takes a majority vote to implement something. The original version of HB1841 had a separate section that the RTA "may arbitrate," and retained a conflicting section 12a, but a May draft, which would have been o.k., repealed section 12a and said in a new section 12b that the Executive Director must intervene to arbitrate, and the Executive Director's decision can be overturned only by a majority vote. However, by the time it got into SB572, it took a majority vote of the RTA just to get the Executive Director to intervene, making it almost a sure bet that it would never happen.
  2. Somewhat related to that, I said that the bill should mandate that the RTA determine which board should be the service provider in Skokie, Evanston, and the near west suburban area. Of course, while the Auditor General said that the competing areas should be given to the low cost provider, the prior comment on the treatment of section 12a shows that that did not happen.
  3. Based on the 2005 scenario mentioned earlier that Kruesi wanted the suburbs to bail the CTA out, and the first proposed cuts were the elimination of local service in Evanston, I supported a Lipinski committee proposal that the CTA Board had to be reformed, to place at least two additional suburban members on it, thereby divesting the Mayor of actual control. Nothing happened about that, although the legislature did get involved in a political dispute over the composition of the Metra board fomented by southwest Cook County politicians.
  4. Since Carole Brown said on Ask Carole that her job on the RTA Board was to be an advocate for the CTA, and she exhibited on Ask Carole total ignorance about the other service boards, I said that if she retains her position, Pace and Metra should also be represented. The bills I saw remove the CTA Chairman from the RTA Board, so that is o.k.
  5. I questioned giving the RTA more powers, since it has not effectively exercised the powers it has, including to insist that the 2007 budget be balanced.
  6. I said that capital projects had to be prioritized where potential ridership was demonstrated, and existing problems on the Red and Blue Lines had to be fixed before considering New Starts with questionable return comparing ridership with cost. (While not legislated, some of this subsequently happened by default by Huberman finding the money for the Blue Line and the state not passing a capital bill. However, the SB572 provision on coordinating studies is ineffective, as it requires a supermajority vote of the RTA.)
I did receive a call from Julie Hamos a few days after news about the the Auditor General's report came out. The focus of the call was about the correspondence between my points and what the Auditor General said. However, when it comes down to what the later bills said, the legislative response was illusory, as far as I am concerned.

I may also note that as I became more frustrated, I advocated more radical reforms on other blogs, including dissolving all of the service boards. Of course, I knew that wasn't going to happen.

Update: See post 8403 in the Legislative Update topic for my analysis of the legislation sent to the governor in this regard.

What a joke !!! You can bet I won't be sending any messages to any legislater, at least until they come looking for a vote. I'll tell them I support Snoopy. I'll get the same attention.

Trainman, I sympathize with your frustration at that letter, but you're directing your anger at a ridiculous target.

You sent your letter via the Governor's website. They may or may not have passed it on to legislators, and then the Governor sent you a stupid reply.

And in turn, you say you're going to get your revenge on ... legislators!

It's like getting sick from a bad hamburger at McDonald's and deciding you'll never eat a taco at a family-owned Mexican restaurant again.

If the Governor sent you an idiotic response, take it out on the Governor!

Trainman, I sympathize with your frustration at that letter, but you're directing your anger at a ridiculous target.

You sent your letter via the Governor's website. They may or may not have passed it on to legislators, and then the Governor sent you a stupid reply.

And in turn, you say you're going to get your revenge on ... legislators!

It's like getting sick from a bad hamburger at McDonald's and deciding you'll never eat a taco at a family-owned Mexican restaurant again.

If the Governor sent you an idiotic response, take it out on the Governor!

I have to agree. The anger should be directed at the source. However, this is the way I look at it. I do not really agree with the fact that seniors should be able to ride completely FREE. It's hard enough getting folks to pay $1.00 or $2.00 now. Additionally, what will be the RTAs plan in insure that the proper individuals are riding for free? My guess is that those whom already have the RTA Reduced Fare SmartCards will have them reprogrammed with free riding priviledges, and those that are still using the magnetic stripped cards will receive them as well.

If this is not so, then those of age 65+ will definitely need to be carrying their cards on them at all times. I have a feeling for some trying to cheat and use a card that isn't theirs to evade a fare. However, at this point...I think the transit agencies are on their knees now to do whatever it takes to secure the funding to keep the system running.

I'm happy to be keeping my job as well.... ;)

You and FG are assuming something something that trainman did not directly say. I would prefer that he answer the question for post 2 directly before further speculating on it.

Yes we all did our part to save mass transit with letters, postcards, emails. On Thursday numerous calls went into the one rep who voted aginst the funding. It passes and Seniors will ride for free. People are complaining. complaining on why are we being taxed .50 % and other .25% Okay let us employees complain. We will be going without a raise for 2 years and doubling of pension contribution to 6% a pay period. We are in a recession and we have not had a raise for how long now and will have to wait another 2 Years for more money. We aren't sitting complaining about seniors or even people with disabilities riding for free. Lets get those people complaining to sit in our jobs for a week and see if the stress we endure every day will make them still want to complain about what is being done. Get out there and deal with the public daily and see what it is like. Things are being taken out on us employees when it is the politicans that is causing all this ordeal. We sit there are listen to the harrassment and take it. People who are apposed to all of the funding requirements need to see what we are sacraficing. The cost of living goes higher and we get no cost of living raises yearly and won't get a raise for 2 years. If we don't get funding I want to see people trying to get to work on time with jammed expressways. Watch businesses in chicago and suburbs suffer being no one will be purchasing from them or thier employees can't make it into work. When this starts affecting businesses through Illinois maybe then will the complaining stop. People were fired and laid off on Friday at CTA. People want no fare increase well i hate having to pay $3.19 for a gallon of gas. I have to do it to get around. Lets see raising the fares compared to car payment, insurance, maintenance, and gas. What is the cheaper of the two? In 1947 fares wer .10 cents for the fare. it is 2008 and it is $1.75 to $2.00. Over 40 years and this is not alot of money nor would it be if fares are raised. people fail to realize if CTA falls apart not only does the city but so does Illinois.

Yes we all did our part to save mass transit with letters, postcards, emails. On Thursday numerous calls went into the one rep who voted aginst the funding. It passes and Seniors will ride for free. People are complaining. complaining on why are we being taxed .50 % and other .25% Okay let us employees complain. We will be going without a raise for 2 years and doubling of pension contribution to 6% a pay period. We are in a recession and we have not had a raise for how long now and will have to wait another 2 Years for more money. We aren't sitting complaining about seniors or even people with disabilities riding for free. Lets get those people complaining to sit in our jobs for a week and see if the stress we endure every day will make them still want to complain about what is being done. Get out there and deal with the public daily and see what it is like. Things are being taken out on us employees when it is the politicans that is causing all this ordeal. We sit there are listen to the harrassment and take it. People who are apposed to all of the funding requirements need to see what we are sacraficing. The cost of living goes higher and we get no cost of living raises yearly and won't get a raise for 2 years. If we don't get funding I want to see people trying to get to work on time with jammed expressways. Watch businesses in chicago and suburbs suffer being no one will be purchasing from them or thier employees can't make it into work. When this starts affecting businesses through Illinois maybe then will the complaining stop. People were fired and laid off on Friday at CTA. People want no fare increase well i hate having to pay $3.19 for a gallon of gas. I have to do it to get around. Lets see raising the fares compared to car payment, insurance, maintenance, and gas. What is the cheaper of the two? In 1947 fares wer .10 cents for the fare. it is 2008 and it is $1.75 to $2.00. Over 40 years and this is not alot of money nor would it be if fares are raised. people fail to realize if CTA falls apart not only does the city but so does Illinois.

I agree, especially with that last part. If folks had started realizing this we maybe could have gotten this solved long before now. However, at this point I think getting the bill passed in the legislature last week had nothing to do with realizing this point and more to do with Chicago area politicians not wanting the transit funding crisis on the table come Feb. 5 when it's time to vote in the primaries.

Okay let us employees complain. We will be going without a raise for 2 years and doubling of pension contribution to 6% a pay period. We are in a recession and we have not had a raise for how long now and will have to wait another 2 Years for more money. We aren't sitting complaining about seniors or even people with disabilities riding for free. Lets get those people complaining to sit in our jobs for a week and see if the stress we endure every day will make them still want to complain about what is being done. Get out there and deal with the public daily and see what it is like.
Be glad you don't work for United Airlines (and many of the other airlines for that matter). The bankruptcy court coerced the unions into contracts with large pay decreases, and allowed the company to terminate the pension plans and turn them over to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. Their Employee Stock Ownership Plan was wiped out. United now understaffs and treats the customers like dirt, but apparently has enough cash to declare a special dividend while refusing to reopen the labor contracts. Unlike the transit authorities, not everyone has the government to bail them out.

...Lets get those people complaining to sit in our jobs for a week and see if the stress we endure every day will make them still want to complain about what is being done. Get out there and deal with the public daily and see what it is like. Things are being taken out on us employees when it is the politicans that is causing all this ordeal. We sit there are listen to the harrassment and take it. People who are apposed to all of the funding requirements need to see what we are sacraficing....

Kudos to you on this. I agree and support you about 85% with what you say, namely get out there on a daily basis and see what we have to go through. That said, I will still object to the comment that this is the politicians fault. Look at the fare hike Metra proposes. They claim they are $8 million short on capital funding, so they are raising fares. All along, the purpose of the fight with the state was if the service boards got funding, there would be no fare increase and or service cuts. If the money came after "doomsday" then all would be rescinded. All along I have stated that don't give them the money...1. they'll mismanage it, and 2. whether they get the money or not, watch for fares to rise and/or service to be cut. Whallah! The measure was still on the floor, and Metra raises fares (our notices about the fare increase was January 10). I am sorry, I was shortsided, I thought the CTA would do that...but I also figured they'd let things cool off a few months then cry poverty again. Service Boards were warned from the start about tapping into capital funds for operations. As far as I am concerned, if things were that bad, fares should have been raised a year ago and then they would not have had to worry about a shortage of capital funds. Also, as far as I am concerned, if they are $8 million short, then there should be one less platform rebuilt or parking lot paved and the problem would be minimized. This has all been about mismanagement from the start and had this been managed right, I don't think the shortages would have been so severe. For all of those who think this fare increase is okay (including my wife) I think you are wrong...Metra has in effect picked your pocket twice..1st with a tax increase and now with a fare increase. And all in all uncle Phil will now get is 3% bonus that he claims he never gets.

As for the letter to the Gov, it was sent through the State of Illinois Website and was not a form letter, but composed from scratch. The bottom line on that is that they were thanking me for something I did not support and in fact was dead against. And regardless of exactly where that letter was sent, my representatives whether it be on the Representative, Congressional or Gubernatorial level did not represent my views on the subject and as far as I am concerned let me as a voter and taxpayer down. I as an employee of Metra (for now) do not (technically) get free rides anyplace, and yet I have to see seniors get freebies. Nothing against them, but in a cash crunch time, is this really the right thing to do..I am not so sure.

As for the letter to the Gov, it was sent through the State of Illinois Website and was not a form letter, but composed from scratch. The bottom line on that is that they were thanking me for something I did not support and in fact was dead against.
Unfortunately, the way illinois.gov has looked for the past few years, it is pretty much just the Governor's website. Maybe that explains why just about every constitutional officer has one's own website (i.e. Pat Quinn: standingupforillinois.org, Lisa Madigan: illinoisattorneygeneral.gov, Jesse White: cyberdriveillinois.com, etc., many of which don't even sound like government URLs) although there are links on the State Agencies page. The General Assembly is at ilga.gov. Thus, I understand how you were unwittingly used by the Governor's propoganda appratus and how it got your email address. The Governor sure doesn't care what you think unless you are a donor or easily manipulated by his faux populism.

For that matter, my telephone answering machine has received messages from both my state senator and representative informing me about a town hall meeting next Saturday (caller ID said the calls were from a Toll Free Number, which one can Google to determine that it is from a political telemarketer). I wonder where they got my number :lol:. However, other than telling them that I am disgusted with all units of Illinois government, I don't see how attending is worth my time; they also probably want to use me more than serve.