Rail Destination Signs

Guest ctafan630

I take the run to Halsted every morning (get off at Clark though)! I get on at Logan Square and the train is usually pack at 7:48. I wait 2-4 minutes later and a Jeff Park-UIC/Halsted train comes and is virtually empty. So they still operate these short-turned runs.

Oh ok. I didn't realize they still do. I hadn't been seeing the later runs for a long time and they hadn't been showing up on the schedules any more, so I thought they stopped running.

• 2 months later...
Guest ctafan630

Drove past the Kimball yard today and noticed a train car that had a black or brown O'hare destination sign. Has any one else seen this? I believe it was the third or fourth train west from the platform.

Why on earth would the Ohare sign be on the same roller curtain as the brown line and why would it be black/brown?

Drove past the Kimball yard today and noticed a train car that had a black or brown O'hare destination sign. Has any one else seen this? I believe it was the third or fourth train west from the platform.

Why on earth would the Ohare sign be on the same roller curtain as the brown line and why would it be black/brown?

Maybe someone is in favor of the imaginary Lawrence subway (similar to the documented Ford City Orange Line signs). Or maybe just a wrong roller. Considering that the same roll has Red/Brown/Purple/Orange, probably the latter.

I was walking under the tracks at Berteau last night and got another look at the brown Midway sign on a southbound Ravenswood. Is this for the loop closures when the Ravenswood turns into an Orange line train or is it for a future realignment? We shall see!

If I'm not mistaken, around the time the CTA made public its proposal for the Circle Line project, part of the proposal had Brown Line trains moving through downtown continuing on to Midway. Orange Line trains would do the opposite, continue on to Kimball after making stops downtown. I do remember seeing graphics showing them both doing this. So it sounds like the Midway destination on the Brown Line part of the roll was added for if the CTA got funding and approval of the Circle similar to the Orange line having Ford City on the roll for if the Ford City extension of the Orange Line were ever approved.

I was walking under the tracks at Berteau last night and got another look at the brown Midway sign on a southbound Ravenswood. Is this for the loop closures when the Ravenswood turns into an Orange line train or is it for a future realignment? We shall see!

It does makes sense to make the brown and orange lines merge. It could free up a few railcars, which I believe put us in the issue of seatless trains in the first place. But if you ran it down Lake and Wabash, what do you do with Wells and Van Buren's traffic. I suppose you could run the pink line in the opposite direction as it runs now. It could serve as a loop shuttle as well as a 54/Cermak train. If the lines merge at all I would expect it toward the end of 2009 when the Brown line construction is scheduled to be complete.

• 5 years later...

Yes I have a video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIQE4ScQ9IE