CTA's 60th Anniversary

jajuan

When writing my post about my so-called state senator, I realized something. Last year was the CTA's 60th anniversary. Instead of doing a celebration similar to that of 1997, which included the downtown display of classic CTA retired buses, the whole year was spent working on getting the state to help solve a funding problem that could have been worked out in 2006 when the crisis was really starting to be brought into the public eye. It would have been good to see those buses again along with possibly the Old Flyers, Americanas, MAN Arctics (7100s and 7300s), 4900s and 4915s. Instead everyone's nerves had to get frayed to their limit with the constant proposing and delaying of different Doomsday scenarios throughout the year. It's sad the whole foolishness of it deprived everyone of that treat. What a way to mark the 60th year of such a vital resource.

When writing my post about my so-called state senator, I realized something. Last year was the CTA's 60th anniversary. Instead of doing a celebration similar to that of 1997, which included the downtown display of classic CTA retired buses, the whole year was spent working on getting the state to help solve a funding problem that could have been worked out in 2006 when the crisis was really starting to be brought into the public eye. It would have been good to see those buses again along with possibly the Old Flyers, Americanas, MAN Arctics (7100s and 7300s), 4900s and 4915s.

A couple things:

1. I don't understand the 4900s and 4915s part. What was 4915? Do you mean the 4400s and 4900s? If you're talking about the 4900s, I think pretty much all of them are still around. One's at the CFD, some are work buses, and a few are warming buses. I've posted pictures of WB-10.

2. No CTA Americana has been saved.

3. No 7100s or 7300s have been saved. If they had been, I wouldn't understand putting a 7300 on display, considering that the 7300s only served the CTA for 2 years. Now, a 7000, I could understand.

4. There are a bunch of Flyer D901As sitting at 77th, ready to be scrapped. I've posted pictures of them. Besides those, the only CTA Flyer that's been saved is at the CHBM; that one, however, can't run.

A couple things:

1. I don't understand the 4900s and 4915s part. What was 4915? Do you mean the 4400s and 4900s? If you're talking about the 4900s, I think pretty much all of them are still around. One's at the CFD, some are work buses, and a few are warming buses. I've posted pictures of WB-10.

2. No CTA Americana has been saved.

3. No 7100s or 7300s have been saved. If they had been, I wouldn't understand putting a 7300 on display, considering that the 7300s only served the CTA for 2 years. Now, a 7000, I could understand.

4. There are a bunch of Flyer D901As sitting at 77th, ready to be scrapped. I've posted pictures of them. Besides those, the only CTA Flyer that's been saved is at the CHBM; that one, however, can't run.

By 4915, I mean the former Pace Orions that were in service at 103rd before the 500s delivery started. Their numbers started at 4915 oddly enough. I only include those and the 7300s as a way of showing as complete a history of CTA buses as possible. Each of these models may have served for only a short time, but so what. They are still a part of CTA history.

I know that the CTA scrapped all of most of its most recently retired buses. I gave the scenario basically as a busfan's ideal dream of what a 60th anniversary celebratory bus display like that in 1997 would be like if at least one of each of those models had been saved where possible. Too bad a lot of the buses from those models were so beat up by the end of their run. A busfan can dream. It would have been nice to see the CTA gather its old buses in such a public display again.

I forgot about the 7000s. As a matter of fact, I don't remember seeing those in the 1997 commemoration. Perhaps because they were so similar to the 7100s which were still in service at the time.

I know that the CTA scrapped all of most of its most recently retired buses. I gave the scenario basically as a busfan's ideal dream of what a 60th anniversary celebratory bus display like that in 1997 would be like if at least one of each of those models had been saved where possible. Too bad a lot of the buses from those models were so beat up by the end of their run. A busfan can dream. It would have been nice to see the CTA gather its old buses in such a public display again.

I forgot about the 7000s. As a matter of fact, I don't remember seeing those in the 1997 commemoration. Perhaps because they were so similar to the 7100s which were still in service at the time.

I wish more than anything that CTA would have saved Americana #4272. I drove this one a few times in 1991-1992, plus it was the first bus that my son sat in. The driver, a kind man named John, allowed him to sit in the driver's seat during the layover at Wilson/Ravenswood every Saturday morning for a year and a half. This Americana was my favorite. It was also one of the last ones to be repainted.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, at least a few are at 77th. Also, if CTA wanted to continue a historic fleet, there are a few Flyers at 77th, too.

I distinctively remember a GMC fishbowl #9400 was still in existence. For a while it was kept at Kedzie, it whereabouts now are unknown unless it is stored at 77. Im sure 77 has a some retired buses stored there out of sight. If anyone has unlimited access to the 77th st garage try to get some info.

• 1 month later...

If i recall right their is a school bus co. out by Chicago Ridge that for some reason has or had CTA buses in the back lot that were nothing likr the ones that we have now,i mean like the "FISHBOWL" type and the one that when i was little we called "THE GREEN LIMOS" i can not recall the name of the bus Co. but i think that it is some whare by South Harlem Ave & 99th Street. It is eather Chicago Ridge or Oak Lawn i can`t recall when i saw them i thought MAYBE THAY ARE CHARTER OR SOMTHING OR OUT HERE FOR REPAIR?

But that made no sence .

The one`s that i saw were like the old GM types. :unsure:

If i recall right their is a school bus co. out by Chicago Ridge that for some reason has or had CTA buses in the back lot that were nothing likr the ones that we have now,i mean like the "FISHBOWL" type and the one that when i was little we called "THE GREEN LIMOS" i can not recall the name of the bus Co. but i think that it is some whare by South Harlem Ave & 99th Street. It is eather Chicago Ridge or Oak Lawn i can`t recall when i saw them i thought MAYBE THAY ARE CHARTER OR SOMTHING OR OUT HERE FOR REPAIR?

But that made no sence .

The one`s that i saw were like the old GM types. :unsure:

The site at Harlem/99 was the home of the Chicagoland Historical Bus Museum. The buses are no longer kept there. In April, 2007, myself and several other members on a sunny, saturday morning, moved the bus collection to a temporary home south of Aurora, look up the "CHBM" thread here for pics I have posted. We drove in a convoy and got lots of attention. I had the honor of being behind the wheel of CTA GMC #9799, it was awesome stepping on the accelerator and listening to that familiar 8V71 Detroit Diesel still able to do its thing!, roaring like a monster and the light smoke billowing out of the exhaust, the bus that really stood out. Some of the non running equipment were moved out by flatbed truck such as CTA Flyer #1606. We had a great time that day moving the equipment, it took a lot of effort but it was accomplished. You can see videos of the bus move on YouTube, just type in "chicagoland historical bus museum", you will find several videos of the collection during the move. The museums lease had run out at the school bus lot and we had to find another home. The future of the museum collection is in question right now. Hopefully some financial support will find its way to us to help keep these historical pieces alive.

I distinctively remember a GMC fishbowl #9400 was still in existence. For a while it was kept at Kedzie, it whereabouts now are unknown unless it is stored at 77. Im sure 77 has a some retired buses stored there out of sight. If anyone has unlimited access to the 77th st garage try to get some info.

The Fishbowl is 9476. Also there is a 7100 on the premesis. Though I don't know the number it sits behind maintenence building 6 with a few other retired work buses

The Fishbowl is 9476. Also there is a 7100 on the premesis. Though I don't know the number it sits behind maintenence building 6 with a few other retired work buses

The one I remember was #9400, it still had the number board on the rear but the numbers on the front and sides were removed. Some of the seating was removed as well. It sat at Kedzie for a while and IMO it looked like it was still in good shape. It wouldnt have taken much to refurbish it.