Yellow Line and Weekend Service...

MetroShadow

Thanks. For my observations:
  • The parking lots don't bother me, because they are clearly Pace or Metra park and rides, and theoretically they keep cars off the expressway. (edited other points out)

Just to be clear on my objection, I don't inherently mind the idea of supporting Metra parking with CMAQ grants, but I believe something is out of whack when CMAQ grants for parking double CMAQ grants for all CTA purposes.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May be a combination of either land acquisition costs, or CTA not being aggressive in the right areas (I agree with the X routes and and Yellow Line, but disagree with the two Skokie bus extensions).

There seem to be several other good CTA and CDOT requests, such as the the Morgan-Green Line station, undo some of the 1997 cuts, Clybourn and maybe split 111/115. However, CTA is clearly not as aggressive with its projects as Pace. For instance, I still would have sought funding for some sort of community transit in the Midway and far NW side feeder areas. It doesn't seem like CTA uses CMAQ to justify any new equipment, but maybe that is hidden in the requests for particular routes.

Also, looking at the $ per VMT column, apparently only pedestrian, bike, and transit have any payoff. That would tend to reinforce your view about parking lots.

BTW, did you add CDOT in your calculations, since the rapid transit stations clearly benefit CTA?