Yellow Line and Weekend Service...

MetroShadow

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well somebody beat me to it. I just saw the press release and this can't be a better time to place weekend service on the Yellow Line. But I really hope many people in the North Suburbs will take advantage with the Weekend Service.

As for the #65 Grand Avenue route, it has came a long way. Especially the growth of work ethics at Navy Pier and every seasonal the bus runs longer when Navy Pier has special events. So this will be a giant test for this route to overcome a late evening service but I have strong hopes that this route will improve.

I'm very shocked about 43rd Street. And I mean 20 minute intervals from 7pm to Midnight. This is one of the lowest productive bus routes. Drivers will love picking this route even more because there will hardly any riders on the buses and why have 20 minute intervals on the weekends when Saturday Service runs every 25 mins. & Sunday is every half an hour? I won't be shocked by the fall pick, they will yank that 5 hour extended service really quick.

Somehow, it was bound to happen, but its about time they looked into expanding service this spring.

link here

Instead of calling it "adding weekend service" to the "Swift" I dont like calling them by their color! :) They should call it "Restoring Service!" Also, the Oakton stop, does anyone know if it is under construction yet? Sad that it no longer uses overhead catenary. I think they should assign 2200s to the Swift. It would look a bit nostalgic because the line is historical.

Instead of calling it "adding weekend service" to the "Swift" I dont like calling them by their color! :) They should call it "Restoring Service!" ... I think they should assign 2200s to the Swift. It would look a bit nostalgic because the line is historical.

The first is true. However, the 2200s have no historical significance as far as the Swift is concerned. You would have to bring back either the North Shore Electroliners (a couple still at IRM), the single units, or the original 5000s. However, I don't think anyone wants to ride them.

Also, since the Swift uses two car trains, 2200s wouldn't meet ADA standards.

As far as the general thread of the topic...amazing how grants can be found for services that three weeks ago were on the chopping block. So much for Doomsday.

Instead of calling it "adding weekend service" to the "Swift" I dont like calling them by their color! :) They should call it "Restoring Service!"

Actually, only Saturday service (having operated from 1964 to 1992) is considered to be "restored" in this new Yellow Line service revision. The Skokie Swift, in its present-day nonstop form, never had regularly scheduled Sunday/holiday service (although during the Christmas shopping season in 2002, some Sunday service did operate on the line). And the last time regular Sunday service operated over the Yellow Line's trackage was way back in 1948, when that line was the Niles Center line with numerous intermediate stops between Dempster and Howard.

The first is true. However, the 2200s have no historical significance as far as the Swift is concerned. You would have to bring back either the North Shore Electroliners (a couple still at IRM), the single units, or the original 5000s. However, I don't think anyone wants to ride them.

Actually, only two Electroliner sets have ever operated over the North Shore Line during their heyday. After the North Shore Line ceased operations in 1963, both of its Electroliners were sold to SEPTA and redubbed "Liberty Liners," which ran over suburban Philadelphia trackage until the late 1970s. Both sets are now preserved in museums -- one at IRM, the other at a museum in Pennsylvania.

As for the single units, the only one which officially ran in Skokie Swift service which survives to this day is #30, which is at IRM (although several single units which ran in West-Northwest, Ravenswood and Evanston service are preserved at various transportation museums in North America, including IRM (which has #22 and #41, in addition to #30)). And the only original 5000 that's still in an operable condition is #5001 (#51), which now resides at the Fox River Trolley Museum located somewhere between Elgin and St. Charles, IL (though two other original 5000s, #5002/52 and #5003/53, are preserved as static displays at IRM and Monticello, respectively).

Also, since the Swift uses two car trains, 2200s wouldn't meet ADA standards.

As far as the general thread of the topic...amazing how grants can be found for services that three weeks ago were on the chopping block. So much for Doomsday.

I was actually referring to cars that are in service today. I use the 2200s as the example because ethey are the oldest cars in the CTA fleet. But also, yes it would be awesome to see the N.S. Electroliner run the rails of the Swift just one more time...

And the 2200s actually do have historical significance, dont forget they are the last blinker door style rapid transit cars in Chicago! Come 2010 the 2200s will be no more!

I was actually referring to cars that are in service today. I use the 2200s as the example because ethey are the oldest cars in the CTA fleet. But also, yes it would be awesome to see the N.S. Electroliner run the rails of the Swift just one more time...

And the 2200s actually do have historical significance, dont forget they are the last blinker door style rapid transit cars in Chicago! Come 2010 the 2200s will be no more!

What's really annoying is how unit 2007-2008 (renumbered 1892-1992) is just sitting at Skokie. It doesn't work, but I wish CTA would at least do something with them. They could fix them to run and give them to IRM; IRM could also probably get them running without the CTA's help. Or, CTA should use them like they did after retirement in the early 90's; fan trips.

And the 2200s actually do have historical significance
But not on the Swift
What's really annoying is how unit 2007-2008 (renumbered 1892-1992) is just sitting at Skokie.... They could fix them to run and give them to IRM; IRM could also probably get them running without the CTA's help.

They probably are now "static art." Also, IRM has another set of 2000s, which I believe were vandalized there.

What's really annoying is how unit 2007-2008 (renumbered 1892-1992) is just sitting at Skokie. It doesn't work, but I wish CTA would at least do something with them. They could fix them to run and give them to IRM; IRM could also probably get them running without the CTA's help. Or, CTA should use them like they did after retirement in the early 90's; fan trips.

CTA dosent care about preserving history all they care about is Covering Their Ass! They just dont care! The people running CTA arent transit professionals. They arent into the history of transit in Chicago.

CTA dosent care about preserving history all they care about is Covering Their Ass! They just dont care! The people running CTA arent transit professionals. They arent into the history of transit in Chicago.

:angry: And it's not like any of the MANs or Flyers were preserved!!! Seriously, the Americanas were a really important part of the fleet. I mean, you'd expect CTA to do something. But no, they don't care.

It isn't the job of transit professionals to run a museum, but a functioning transit system. If people think things are breaking down now, think how it would be if, for nostalgia sake, CTA was still running big green propane buses. It might have had, at one time, room to store a historic fleet at abandoned trolley barns or Kedzie garage, but the barn at Lincoln and Wellington has been demolished and it apparently is more important to store articulated buses at Kedzie than a historic fleet that does nothing to serve riders.

I'm sure your route 616 would run on a dependable basis if Pace decided to put a blue and white United Motor Coach bus on it, for historical reasons.

Same thing with putting 2200s on the Skokie Swift--despite not being authentic, you also run the risk that if a two car train breaks down, there is no coupled unit to push it aside.

Again, it is surprising about the priorities of some posters here.

:angry: And it's not like any of the MANs or Flyers were preserved!!! Seriously, the Americanas were a really important part of the fleet. I mean, you'd expect CTA to do something. But no, they don't care.
Join and donate to a bus museum. See the prior post.

Join and donate to a bus museum. See the prior post.

I'm a member of IRM, and I give generous donations two or three times a year. And your thing about priorities: I know that! :angry: I'm not saying that CTA should run old buses, I'm saying I wished they were preserved. Not necessarily by the CTA; IRM certainly has room for more buses. I've argued AGAINST running old buses just because certain people like them. AND THERE WAS NOTHING POSTED ABOUT PRIORITIES!!! I WOULD RATHER HAVE A FUNCTIONING TRANSIT SYSTEM THAN PRESERVE OLD BUSES. PLEASE DON'T JUST BLINDLY MAKE ACCUSATIONS; IT'S KIND OF ANNOYING.

It isn't the job of transit professionals to run a museum, but a functioning transit system. If people think things are breaking down now, think how it would be if, for nostalgia sake, CTA was still running big green propane buses. It might have had, at one time, room to store a historic fleet at abandoned trolley barns or Kedzie garage, but the barn at Lincoln and Wellington has been demolished and it apparently is more important to store articulated buses at Kedzie than a historic fleet that does nothing to serve riders.

I'm sure your route 616 would run on a dependable basis if Pace decided to put a blue and white United Motor Coach bus on it, for historical reasons.

Same thing with putting 2200s on the Skokie Swift--despite not being authentic, you also run the risk that if a two car train breaks down, there is no coupled unit to push it aside.

Again, it is surprising about the priorities of some posters here.

Hey Busjack chill out! If you dont enjoy my posts then dont respond to them. Ill bet if saw anything of what Im talking about here, you would be the first to throw it on here for everyone to read and your attitude would be totally different. But if you dont enjoy what is said here then move on. Your negative responses have no place here. This forum is for people who enjoy transit, not for making personal attacks.

I think I'll back Busjack on this to a point. I will agree about the purpose of the forum, but sometimes the reality gets lost in the fiction. I think 'jack' was simply trying to restate (or refocus) the reality and separate it from the fiction.

Oh, please, come on, people.

We all know the realities of the CTA, it's not rocket science. And a bit of talk about preserving a few buses for historical purposes certainly isn't going to sway people too far from that reality. At least, for those who are capable of thinking critically.

I'm just glad that someone other than me notices Busjack's unnecessarily aggressive attitude towards people he disagrees with.

Let me put this simply. I have sent an IM to the person responsible, and will not deal with personal matters on a forum. I have asked him to make corrections to the post that started this, and if he does so, I will take down mine. And I expect the rest of you who are posting personal matters not related to the topic to do the same when he does.

Also, the Oakton stop, does anyone know if it is under construction yet?

I haven't noticed any construction near Oakton yet.

I live near Old Orchard and use the Swift frequently. I can't wait til the day that I no longer have to use the 97 or 215 on weekends to get home. :D I wonder how that will affect service on these routes.?

Im excited that the "Swift" is coming back to saturday operation. I used to joyride it when I was in hig school. Ill certainly be taking advantage of it again. Im looking forward to it. Let me know if anyone wants to join me for a saturday joyride, when the weather gets better of course! We could do some filming of run bys.

I bet there will be slightly less 97 weekend service, but nothing major.

I highly doubt if there will be some less 97 weekend service. Especially Sunday Service runs half-hourly headways. I could see in the near future if ridership levels improve on the Swift Weekend service, there could be a 97 Shuttle service between the Orchard and the Dempster station. It won't be a doubt that 97 from Dempster to the Howard Stations & the 215 will have some ridership declines because of the return of the Weekend Swift.

Im excited that the "Swift" is coming back to saturday operation. I used to joyride it when I was in hig school. Ill certainly be taking advantage of it again. Im looking forward to it. Let me know if anyone wants to join me for a saturday joyride, when the weather gets better of course! We could do some filming of run bys.

Actually that's not a bad idea to joyride the "Swift". This will be a true test since many baseball games and other special events will occur this spring and summer.

I'd take you up on that bet, but it really wouldn't be very fair.

That statement could be taken either way (more, less or the same). My bet is that bus service would be about the same...at least until (and if) the route would be extended to Old Orchard. I mean, why change it because of one stop...the route still serves those on Oakton, Mc Cormick and Howard Streets. But then logic means nothing in the transit business.

Guest joemvcnj

Weekend service is being added/restored (whatever your viewpoint or memory) with CMAQ money.

When does the CMAQ money run out ?

It will some day. The Amtrak Maine Downeaster service loses it in 2010.

I would expect some rationalization of the 97 and some PACE routes with this, or tuned into feeders from outlying areas to Dempster.

I would expect some rationalization of the 97 and some PACE routes with this, or tuned into feeders from outlying areas to Dempster.

Not really. The only Pace that connects with Yellow Line/Dempster on the weekend is 250, which is a trunk route. The only CTA there at the time is 97, but it is doubtful that CTA would run just an Old Orchard-Dempster shuttle. Buses like 54A and 626 don't run on the weekend. What rationalizations are you proposing?