DuPage restructuring

Busjack

Also, the Wheaton area contract proposal (which incorporated both Wheaton and Lombard) said that ElDorados were supposed to be assigned there. However, the Pace Awarded Contracts page says it hasn't been awarded yet, and based on my trip to Wheaton a couple of weeks ago, that still looks correct, as I saw some school buses on it. Also, I don't know if Pace still intends to continue with its plan to kill the Glen Ellyn and a couple of the Wheaton feeders, or if that whole mess needs to be rebid. ...

Well, the Pace Press Release now indicates that they are going ahead with the type of restructuring mentioned in the contract proposal. There are some extensions to 711, 715, and 747, but the Wheaton feeders previously mentioned will get killed, as well as Saturday service on 711. One Glen Ellyn feeder gets killed, but 2 get restructured. 709 is unaffected by either plan.

Well, I know that Saturday service on #711 would be eliminated because the extension of #715 service would cover much of this territory. #715 will continue to operate on Saturdays for the foreseeable future.

As for #747 (which is operated by Pace West Division), that route currently does not operate west of Finley Road in Lombard during off-peak periods. It operates into Wheaton only during weekday rush periods.

Well, I know that Saturday service on #711 would be eliminated because the extension of #715 service would cover much of this territory. #715 will continue to operate on Saturdays for the foreseeable future.

As for #747 (which is operated by Pace West Division), that route currently does not operate west of Finley Road in Lombard during off-peak periods. It operates into Wheaton only during weekday rush periods.

At this point, it is hard to figure out what is happening from the Pace site, since, among other things, the links were improperly coded. The best hints seem to be on the Passenger Notices page or the Passenger Notice link on the individual route description.

It seems pretty clear from what is indicated in the Press Release and Passenger Notices that Glendale Heights will be served by the 715 extension, and restructured 657. Nothing very informative about the changes to the Wheaton feeders.

The 747 extension to West Chicago has been mentioned in various DuPage County plans; there was even a plan to extend it to Charlestowne.

I guess one would hope that the Pace site will be updated before the hearings.

At this point, it is hard to figure out what is happening from the Pace site, since, among other things, the links were improperly coded. The best hints seem to be on the Passenger Notices page or the Passenger Notice link on the individual route description.

It seems pretty clear from what is indicated in the Press Release and Passenger Notices that Glendale Heights will be served by the 715 extension, and restructured 657. Nothing very informative about the changes to the Wheaton feeders.

The 747 extension to West Chicago has been mentioned in various DuPage County plans; there was even a plan to extend it to Charlestowne.

I guess one would hope that the Pace site will be updated before the hearings.

The 747 was plan to extend to Geneva/ St Charles at Charlestowne Mall?

Guest metralink

The 747 was plan to extend to Geneva/ St Charles at Charlestowne Mall?

the 747 is to operate to St. Charles mall. This route is funded through CMAQ.

the 747 is to operate to St. Charles mall. This route is funded through CMAQ.

Why ???????? Who do they think is going to ride that bus from Forest Park (or Oakbrook or Wheaton or West Chicago) to St Charles. Remember Pace's minimum ride standard (too much put into that...will you get 12 people a trip ??? I doubt it). I would think CMAQ money could be put to better use than this extension. For that matter, the same goes for Route 208 (now) going from Evanston to Elgin. Who is going to want to go from Evanston, Skokie, Des Plaines, and so on to Elgin??? Again, very questionable discussions here. Who comes up with some of these crazy ideas ?????

Metralink, you just sent trainman over the edge for no reason.

I said there were prior plans to extend the bus to Charlestowne. The Press Release said West Chicago.

As far as whether there is demand to West Chicago, that remains to be seen. However, there are all sorts of plans mentioned for transit in DuPage (the plan mentioning the Yorktown extension of the Blue Line contained the latest version of many of them; many of the others contemplate service to NWTC), but it seems like the present implementation is limited to what is stated on the Pace site. If others of you have another source of information, please disclose it (again I anticipate that all hell will rain down on me again for suggesting that).

Also, with regard to trainman's comment, there may be internal ridership within DuPage. I don't have the customer research, though.

Guest metralink

Metralink, you just sent trainman over the edge for no reason.

The ST. Charles extension on #747 came from the public comment process for the CMAQ award. As for West Chicago markets, West Chicago has a very large lower income population. The data can be found oh let's see from DuPage County census data, the DuPage Area Transit Plan, CMAP data, it's out there.

BY the way, the St. Charles area has a large employment base esp aroound St. Charles Mall (WalMart, Target, motels, service industry as well as manufacturing). Low and behold those folks in West Chicago can now access jobs in both St. Charles as well as DuPage county along Roosevelt, Oak Brook area, and vast connections in Wheaton, 313, and in Oak Brook.

A corridor service such as 747 is made up of various markets along the route. The long haul corridors are defined in Pace Vision 2020 as providing Regional connectivity connecting to other regional corridors and long community services.

If we want to get into this arguement, let's look at Metra boardings at the far end point stations such as Aurora, Elburn, Elgin Kenosha. The direct market to DT Chicago is small compared to all the boardings along the route. Same logic hear. This is the same logic the republicans are using to try to kill the long distance passenger network. For example Chi - LA is the smallest market. Yet you add up all the market pairs along the route and the entire route is strong (lots of markets not served by point-point air services).

The ST. Charles extension on #747 came from the public comment process for the CMAQ award.

BY the way, the St. Charles area has a large employment base esp aroound St. Charles Mall (WalMart, Target, motels, service industry as well as manufacturing). Low and behold those folks in West Chicago can now access jobs in both St. Charles as well as DuPage county along Roosevelt, Oak Brook area, and vast connections in Wheaton, 313, and in Oak Brook....

However, Metralink, you are just arguing a strawman unless there is evidence that the extension to St. Charles will really happen. You haven't provided that yet. As I noted above, the Pace announcement was only to West Chicago.

Route 747 DuPage Connection, currently operating to Wheaton, would be extended to West Chicago. Service between Wheaton and Forest Park would operate more frequently.

Based on that, "folks in West Chicago can" not "now" or in the conceivable future "access jobs in ... St. Charles" by bus.

So, please don't dump on me, but again I ask that you provide a source of information that contradicts the Pace press release. Let's not assume the unproved, and then argue over it.

Guest metralink

The ST. Charles extension on #747 came from the public comment process for the CMAQ award.

BY the way, the St. Charles area has a large employment base esp aroound St. Charles Mall (WalMart, Target, motels, service industry as well as manufacturing). Low and behold those folks in West Chicago can now access jobs in both St. Charles as well as DuPage county along Roosevelt, Oak Brook area, and vast connections in Wheaton, 313, and in Oak Brook....

However, Metralink, you are just arguing a strawman unless there is evidence that the extension to St. Charles will really happen. You haven't provided that yet. As I noted above, the Pace announcement was only to West Chicago.

Based on that, "folks in West Chicago can" not "now" or in the conceivable future "access jobs in ... St. Charles" by bus.

So, please don't dump on me, but again I ask that you provide a source of information that contradicts the Pace press release. Let's not assume the unproved, and then argue over it.

Guest metralink

Here's my logic. All CMAQ projects are evaluated for clean air benefits. If a sponsor changes the project or scope they must go before CMAP and request a re-evaluation as the new scope may or may not provide the same air benefits or another lower ranking project is higher.

Look at the CMAP CMAQ site, there are lots of projects approved with scope or $$ increases and the committee must approve these. I did not find a request to change the #747 so based on this, I'm factoring it was not changed and it is going to St. Charles based on the CMAQ request information.

Here's my logic. All CMAQ projects are evaluated for clean air benefits. If a sponsor changes the project or scope they must go before CMAP and request a re-evaluation as the new scope may or may not provide the same air benefits or another lower ranking project is higher.

Look at the CMAP CMAQ site, there are lots of projects approved with scope or $$ increases and the committee must approve these. I did not find a request to change the #747 so based on this, I'm factoring it was not changed and it is going to St. Charles based on the CMAQ request information.

Well, we'll have to see. But then why would Pace send out a contradictory press release? Are you going to the hearings to see the poster boards and ask them about the discrepancy?

... But then why would Pace send out a contradictory press release?
Well, maybe that is what happened. The latest Press Release does mention St. Charles. Chalk up another one for the propaganda dept., this time at Pace.

Again, we'll just have to wait and see. But maybe your logic paid off.

• 5 weeks later...

While Pace has posted Passenger Notices on what services are being discontinued or trips that are being cut back, it hasn't yet posted the extensions. The only inkling I have found of their scope is in this Daily Herald article. Yes, Charlestowne is included, my apologies to metralink. The article seems somewhat sketchy on the 715 extension through Glendale Heights to Lake and Rohlwing (Rt. 53). Anyone have any more details on the 711, 715, and 747 extensions than stated here, or will we have to wait for (I guess) June 5 for Pace to post the new maps?