450 New Hires

I have been looking for a segue to throw this out, and with the prospect of 450 new operators being out on the street, I think this is a good opportunity. I would really like to hear some feedback from out operators out there, primarily CTA5750, Pace 2322, cta44449FG, any old time drivers, and of course rmadisonwi and Kevin.

There are those who think that operating a bus is an easy thing. In many ways it is. In my days of driving, I developed a theory, or philosophy if you may, on how to be successful. For a newbie, especially on an extra board, it can be really tough. It seems like you are getting hammered from all different means and you are in a tunnel vision. My means is a 3 step process and is pretty much, in my opinion the difference between being a good operator and a bad one. Note, none of this has anything to do with politeness, customer service or any of the people related things related to the job. As far as I am concerned, you either have that or don't.

Step 1...learn how to drive the bus. Step 2...learn how to operate. Step 3...learn how to run.

Step 1 - Drive...any idiot could drive. You get in press the pedal and turn the wheel. What you do here is learn about the bus, how it handles, the size, how to make turns, pivot points, how to be defensive, anticipate (never assume) and so on. All basic training. This is probably the easiest part of the process.

Step 2 - Operate...This would be your intermediate and would be accomplished usually when training with the Line Instructor. Here you would learn how to make stops, handle fares, learn the routes (ie. where they go), and all the little ins and out there are. Not as difficult as it once was, since there are no more transfers to punch, and for real old timers, no change to make.

Step 3 - Run...This is the most difficult, and for a newbie, really next to impossible, unless you really take the job seriously. Here you know the route. By that I mean, this is where you understand how to keep time, whether you might have to make a light or not, are there school kids on the trip, might there be a wheelchair to be picked up, might this be the trip where you have added traffic, is there an event out there where you have push a little harder, could this be the trip where you can ease up and enjoy the ride. To me, this takes months to learn, especially if you don't do a particular route. This is something that when you finally get to pick a regular gig (as opposed to being an extra or fill in) makes you good or not so good. Once you can run a route, you have made it as an operator.

This concept not only helped me as an operator with Pace, but also during the short time I was an engineer with Metra. I am curious to hear from CTA operators to see if this could be applied successfully and would work, with the system being quite a bit larger and more complex. It was a heck of a lot easier in Aurora learning 12-15 runs day in and day out, compared with the 24 hour operation the CTA has, but I would think it would. For those who are considering jumping in the fray...keep this in mind and good luck. If I didn't have the seniority I have and would have to, essentially, start over again, I'd consider throwing my hat in the ring....my CDL is still active. I am not all that trustworthy of CTA management (or any of the service boards for that matter), but for anyone in need of a job, the pay is decent, although the hours suck. I wouldn't discourage anyone from giving it a try. I am looking forward to reading any comments, pro and con.

Not directly replying, but the others may want to add in the passenger service and "housekeeping" components. For instance, the Pace Job Description doesn't even say that you have to drive the bus, just "transport passengers." At least the CTA one says "Operates a bus over an established route adhering to predetermined schedule in a safe, efficient and courteous manner to allow passengers to board, travel and alight at scheduled stops." However, the primary duties and responsibilities list 11 other things.

I have been looking for a segue to throw this out, and with the prospect of 450 new operators being out on the street, I think this is a good opportunity. I would really like to hear some feedback from out operators out there, primarily CTA5750, Pace 2322, cta44449FG, any old time drivers, and of course rmadisonwi and Kevin.

There are those who think that operating a bus is an easy thing. In many ways it is. In my days of driving, I developed a theory, or philosophy if you may, on how to be successful. For a newbie, especially on an extra board, it can be really tough. It seems like you are getting hammered from all different means and you are in a tunnel vision. My means is a 3 step process and is pretty much, in my opinion the difference between being a good operator and a bad one. Note, none of this has anything to do with politeness, customer service or any of the people related things related to the job. As far as I am concerned, you either have that or don't.

Step 1...learn how to drive the bus. Step 2...learn how to operate. Step 3...learn how to run.

Step 1 - Drive...any idiot could drive. You get in press the pedal and turn the wheel. What you do here is learn about the bus, how it handles, the size, how to make turns, pivot points, how to be defensive, anticipate (never assume) and so on. All basic training. This is probably the easiest part of the process.

Step 2 - Operate...This would be your intermediate and would be accomplished usually when training with the Line Instructor. Here you would learn how to make stops, handle fares, learn the routes (ie. where they go), and all the little ins and out there are. Not as difficult as it once was, since there are no more transfers to punch, and for real old timers, no change to make.

Step 3 - Run...This is the most difficult, and for a newbie, really next to impossible, unless you really take the job seriously. Here you know the route. By that I mean, this is where you understand how to keep time, whether you might have to make a light or not, are there school kids on the trip, might there be a wheelchair to be picked up, might this be the trip where you have added traffic, is there an event out there where you have push a little harder, could this be the trip where you can ease up and enjoy the ride. To me, this takes months to learn, especially if you don't do a particular route. This is something that when you finally get to pick a regular gig (as opposed to being an extra or fill in) makes you good or not so good. Once you can run a route, you have made it as an operator.

This concept not only helped me as an operator with Pace, but also during the short time I was an engineer with Metra. I am curious to hear from CTA operators to see if this could be applied successfully and would work, with the system being quite a bit larger and more complex. It was a heck of a lot easier in Aurora learning 12-15 runs day in and day out, compared with the 24 hour operation the CTA has, but I would think it would. For those who are considering jumping in the fray...keep this in mind and good luck. If I didn't have the seniority I have and would have to, essentially, start over again, I'd consider throwing my hat in the ring....my CDL is still active. I am not all that trustworthy of CTA management (or any of the service boards for that matter), but for anyone in need of a job, the pay is decent, although the hours suck. I wouldn't discourage anyone from giving it a try. I am looking forward to reading any comments, pro and con.

My brother was actually a FG operator for a very short time. The biggest problem for him was the hours.... having to be up at 2:30a in order to be at FG by 4a was hard on him and he said he was operating the bus while half-asleep, which is a major no-no.... If the CTA were to have like a 7a or 8a start it'd probably be a little bit better. I like the pay scale, don't have a license or CDL, but I know the hours would be difficult for me. I know I have the Customer Service skills being a Jewel employee for almost 9 yrs. now.

My brother was actually a FG operator for a very short time. The biggest problem for him was the hours.... having to be up at 2:30a in order to be at FG by 4a was hard on him and he said he was operating the bus while half-asleep, which is a major no-no.... If the CTA were to have like a 7a or 8a start it'd probably be a little bit better. I like the pay scale, don't have a license or CDL, but I know the hours would be difficult for me. I know I have the Customer Service skills being a Jewel employee for almost 9 yrs. now.

Is 4:00am the only time when the drivers start? I'd like to know since I do plan on being a driver for CTA in the next five to seven years.

As for the steps Trainman gave out, I think the job might be a little hard, but noneoftheless I could at least try. And if I don't get the job i'm hoping for at CTA, i'll try to get a job as a police dispatcher (which I like alot). But that's something i'll worry about in my years ahead.

Trainman you couldnt have nailed it any better. This is exactly what it takes to make it as a CTA bus operator. I loved the job so much but I also had my other passion which I chose to do. But godwilling if I could throw my hat back into the ring I would love to get back into it, if CTA allowed me. I really enjoyed the job, It did have its ups n downs but for the most part it was a job I loved, a job I was good at and I was proud of it. I decided to go to Academy and work the Pace routes instead. I still pass on occasion by FG and say hi to my colleagues, to me theyre still my fellow bus operators. There are still operators at FG who didnt know still that I left CTA to become a Chicago firefighter. The bus operator is still in my blood thanks to my dad, he was a great guy and I miss him dearly, with his 27+ years with CTA he taught me how to be a good CTA operator. I encourage anyone who wants to be a CTA bus operator to go for it. Yes "you take lots of crap!" But Ill say this, its a job to be proud of and dont let anyone tell you different. High 5 Trainman!

Is 4:00am the only time when the drivers start? I'd like to know since I do plan on being a driver for CTA in the next five to seven years.

I thought you knew. :rolleyes:

Seriously, a run could start at any time, and a new driver is either on the extra board (and thus fills in for absentees or additional service) or gets the last pick. Someone has to be on the street when passenger demand exists. That's not to say that some driver with seniority wouldn't want the early run, to get home by noon, but the new hire has little choice.

For instance, on the Diversey line near you, the first pullout is at about 4:00 a.m. (and actually a bit earlier, since one has to report to Chicago/Pulaski in time to get and check out a bus, and make the time at either Diversey/Pulaski or Diversey/Harlem), and there are some very early trips between Harlem and Logan Square. Some passengers have to get to work by 5:30. Conversely, the last few runs end after midnight. Bus driving is not a 9 to 5 job. (Of course, police dispatching certainly isn't.)

Another issue is split runs, since the demand is obviously greatest during the two rush hours. Another question to the bus drivers: Did the new contract cut down the time between the split runs, or does hiring only PTOs (at first) remove that consideration for the new hires?

Seriously, a run could start at any time, and a new driver is either on the extra board (and thus fills in for absentees or additional service) or gets the last pick. Someone has to be on the street when passenger demand exists. That's not to say that some driver with seniority wouldn't want the early run, to get home by noon, but the new hire has little choice.

Another issue is split runs, since the demand is obviously greatest during the two rush hours. Another question to the bus drivers: Did the new contract cut down the time between the split runs, or does hiring only PTOs (at first) remove that consideration for the new hires?

Well stated. Another thing to consider with part-time work. Part time means, usually, a limit of 30 hours per week. One of the big corporate reasons to go with part-timers on such a grand scale is that it limits the amount of benefits that the carrier is required to make available. Also, the limit means 30 hours per week. You can work 6 hours a day for 5 days, or 10 hours a day for 3. You will never know when you will work, especially working an extra board. The CTA may be a little more kind in terms of how they dispense the work than Pace was. My 3 month part-time experience with Pace (and I was lucky it was that short) had me in the garage 5 days, working 2 hours here, 3 hours there and as soon as I hit 29 1/2 hours, I was done. Often that meant less working earlier in the week so that I was available the 10 hours on Saturday (the garage was closed on Sunday) to cover. Busjack's question regarding the contract is an interesting one, seeing as this all falls into that situation. How are the part-timers "treated" in terms of how their work is dispensed out. Part-time is part time, but, usually, it is part time in a full time enviornment.