Refurbing Old Equipment

trainman8119

At what point does it become impractical to rebuild the old stuff and buy new...at least in rail car purchases. Of course, it seems that buses have a bit more wear and tear as it seems that there is more mechanical components. As for rail cars, there are some electrical components, but other than that they are nothing more than shells. If the bodies are good, I would think that a rail car could last forever, if maintained properly.

This came to mind on a recent trip downtown riding in a 7200 rebuilt on the UP Northwest. The interior was obviously gutted and refurnished, was clean, quiet and like new. Metra has done quite a bit of rebuilding of some of these cars. I realize that the old CNW Pullman and BN Budd cars had pretty much seen their day, even with the some of the Pullmans being refurbed. I also realize that there are ADA issues with doors, restrooms and making available space in a car for wheelchairs. But I will say that the refurb Budds are a heck of a lot more comfortable and provide more available seats (something that seems to be lost in today's society) than the newer coaches.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am not really sure which BNSF cars you are talking about being refurbed. Most of the older cars there are being replaced. They had some 7100 series cars that have been there for a long time. They might also be putting some rehabbed 7200 series coaches there, like they did on the UP. They have been replacing cab cars, putting some 8400 series cars at first and as some of the new cab cars have been coming in, they have been assigned there. Those car numbers would be in the 8590-8600 series. You might have confused those as 6000 series coaches. They are the same cars, just cab cars instead of trailers.