#127 Madison-Roosevelt Service Canceled

m-nov

Just handed a flyer this AM. Friday 6/12 is the last day for this service. I always caught it to get from the ~Halsted straight to the Medical District so I'm kinda bummed. Other than that unless I missed something... 1 day notice? Really? Signs were already down and everything. Not really too swift with the communication on this one....

Lady also told me #38 service is being extended. Does anyonehave any info on the service changes going into effect after tomorrow?

Actually, the route shuts down on Friday, the 13th. Because today is the 12th. I rode Roosevelt last night and it seems that they have already took most of the 127 bus stops are removed on Roosevelt & Ogden Avenues.

Also, the 38 will terminate at Ogden & California and not further west to Pulaski and 38 will be running midday service. I still haven't seen any new bus stops on Ogden, yet. It would still be interested as to where the 38 will turn around at around the vicinity of Ogden & Cali.

What will happen to those who need service on Odgen from Calforina to Pulaski?

Unfortunately, they'll have to use the 12, 18 (during rush periods), the Pink Line and north-south cross routes 94, 52, 82 and 53 as alternates to their destinations.

Unfortunately, they'll have to use the 12, 18 (during rush periods), the Pink Line and north-south cross routes 94, 52, 82 and 53 as alternates to their destinations.

Yeah, jajuan is right as rain. Before the Douglas branch reconstruction, I rode the old 37 Sedgwick-Ogden, and I was the only one on the bus before the bus reached the intersection of Ogden & California. That was around 2004. Now since the Douglas Branch is all done, I guess many more passengers have been taking it more than the Odgen bus. In a way, the 38 parallel's the Pink Line, crossing 3 of those stations (Pulaski, Central Park & Polk).

I wished that they could change the name of the route to 38 "Taylor-Canal" or "Taylor" by itself, since the route will only operate a few blocks on Ogden Avenue and it operates mostly on Taylor and the Canal/Clinton corridors.

As of today, I still didn't see any new 38 bus stops.

What will happen to those who need service on Odgen from Calforina to Pulaski?
Apparently there weren't that many, or CTA wouldn't have terminated that segment while the experiment was still in progress. As the announcements indicated, the last traffic generator to be served was Mt. Sinai Hospital.

Others have noted numerous alternative routes, especially the Pink Line. As an aside, my father lived in that area in the late 30s, early 40s. He mentions taking the Douglas Park L to Jones Commercial HS and all the GM buses in the neighborhood, but never mentioned the Ogden (then streetcar). So, despite Lipinski, Ogden was probably never a heavy route.

For those curious about where the 38 will turn around at California, the CTA website has a new map up in the Bus Schedules section. The 38 will turn south on California, then east on 16th, then north on Washtenaw back to Ogden.

Route 38 Map

Wow. That's exactly how I guessed it. See my post a few posts back. I based that guess on how the 18 is routed in that area.

Wow. That's exactly how I guessed it. See my post a few posts back. I based that guess on how the 18 is routed in that area.

If we could go back to March when I made my first assumption from this post, I kind of beated you to it. The only thing I'm wrong about is that based on the new map graph, is that the layover is at Washtenaw & Ogden and not Ogden & Cali.

Also, it seems many new bus schedules are updated before the new bus assignments going in effect on Sunday. It's nice to see this for the first time in God knows when.

If we could go back to March when I made my first assumption from this post, I kind of beated you to it. The only thing I'm wrong about is that based on the new map graph, is that the layover is at Washtenaw & Ogden and not Ogden & Cali.

Also, it seems many new bus schedules are updated before the new bus assignments going in effect on Sunday. It's nice to see this for the first time in God knows when.

Yes we were both of the same mind and probably repeated the same more than once since the original press release came out in March.

I know that technically the 127 officially cease existence until Monday morning, but we all know that with no weekend service existing on the 127 it no longer exists as of that last PM rush trip yesterday afternoon. So I find it interesting that the 127 schedule is still posted on the website.

Also 7 Harrison service is extended starting Monday. The last trip EB leaves Central at 9pm and the last full WB trip leaves Congress Plaza at 10:10pm. To answer the question from 3 months ago of how far back the 126 Medical District trips will be cut back weeknights, service to the County Hospital starts weeknights on the 126 EB with the trip that leaves Austin at 9:25pm and WB with the trip that leaves Congress Plaza at 10:25pm.

Just a couple of observations on the new 38 This afternoon.

The 38 is not laying over at the corner of Odgen & Washtenaw, but they are laying over at 15th & Washtenaw. Also some drivers are crossing from the shoulder lane to the median lane on Ogden at Fairfield before they turn left at Cali. It was another bus that had it's destination sign as the "48 S. Damen" route. I guess not all buses were programmed to get the 38 to California sign. That same bus crossed over at Talman instead of Fairfield. Also when the buses go back east on Ogden, they turn to the median lane instead of the shoulder lane. I guess the drivers know that it's hardly anyone getting picked up at the Rockwell & Campbell bus stops.

All in all, the new 38 is doing what it's designed for, at least for the new west end at Mt. Sinai. I only seen a couple of passengers getting on going eastbound, and I've seen one westbound bus that had one passenger on, and another one that had four passengers going towards California. I wished they can finally post those new bus stops soon. And place them around the perimeter of Mt. Sinai Hospital.

It seems the new service enhancements to the 12 Roosevelt seem to be doing well on this first weekday that they went into affect. Before today, I usually would wait 25-30 minutes whenever I had to ride it during the PM rush and it was always crowded. Today I didn't have to wait that long and there were a few seats left. Now I know some would say with school being out, that may also be a contributing factor. However, there wouldn't be many high school students boarding until Sacramento with the students from Manley and Collins High Schools. The buses would still be crowded without the high school kids. That wasn't the case today.

It seems the new service enhancements to the 12 Roosevelt seem to be doing well on this first weekday that they went into affect. Before today, I usually would wait 25-30 minutes whenever I had to ride it during the PM rush and it was always crowded. Today I didn't have to wait that long and there were a few seats left. Now I know some would say with school being out, that may also be a contributing factor. However, there wouldn't be many high school students boarding until Sacramento with the students from Manley and Collins High Schools. The buses would still be crowded without the high school kids. That wasn't the case today.

All I have to say is wait until after Labor Day, it would be a whole different scenario. Overall as you described, the enhancements seemed to work well on Roosevelt. At least I hope it continues to do well, but you this is the first day, so this doesn't really mean anything. We just have to see how it goes in the coming days.

All I have to say is wait until after Labor Day, it would be a whole different scenario. Overall as you described, the enhancements seemed to work well on Roosevelt. At least I hope it continues to do well, but you this is the first day, so this doesn't really mean anything. We just have to see how it goes in the coming days.

Notice I said on this first day. As far as the school crowd goes. I only run into that eastbound in the morning rush on school days. Like I said, the buses empty of most of them at Sacramento. Westbound the crowds came from people transferring from the Orange, Green and Red Lines. Most of them were working people not students so the westbound crowds were still a major issue in the summer as well. So I still say its an improvement so far. The test isn't after Labor Day for the portion of the route that I use everyday since students aren't a big issue as much as other working people such as myself. It starts the end of this month with the Taste of Chicago and the start of different music fests that occur at Grant Park various weekends during the summer.

I see they finally place the new 38 bus stops on Ogden Avenue. The new 38 & 18 16th/18th bus stops where they use to have the 18/38 double route bus stops, feature the new CTA logos on them.

They place the new 38 bus stops adjacent to the median lane, instead of adjacent to the shoulder lane. This reminds me of the old 37 Segdwick-Ogden bus stops west of Albany, those shoulder lanes on Odgen were so narrow, the buses uses the median lane going all the way to Cermak & Pulaski. I guess this would alleviate the buses to switch from the shoulder lane to the median lane on Ogden before moving to the left lane before turning left to California. They did the same thing for the stops going east towards downtown too but it's only one bus stop on Rockwell. They also place a new bus on the SE corner of Washtenaw before buses turn right on Ogden going back east. But I wish they could add a tow-zone lane before buses get to the stop becuase there were several cars parked on that side on Washtenaw. I guess they'll deal with that on a later date. There isn't a new 38 bus stop on the SW side of California (In front of the Mt. Sinai Hospital). I guess they'll place a 38/94 bus stop on at a later date. But they have place a notice flyer underneath the 94 stop stating for folks who are going downtown, board the 38 buses here.

Just a couple of observations on the new 38 This afternoon.

The 38 is not laying over at the corner of Odgen & Washtenaw, but they are laying over at 15th & Washtenaw. Also some drivers are crossing from the shoulder lane to the median lane on Ogden at Fairfield before they turn left at Cali. It was another bus that had it's destination sign as the "48 S. Damen" route. I guess not all buses were programmed to get the 38 to California sign. That same bus crossed over at Talman instead of Fairfield. Also when the buses go back east on Ogden, they turn to the median lane instead of the shoulder lane. I guess the drivers know that it's hardly anyone getting picked up at the Rockwell & Campbell bus stops.

All in all, the new 38 is doing what it's designed for, at least for the new west end at Mt. Sinai. I only seen a couple of passengers getting on going eastbound, and I've seen one westbound bus that had one passenger on, and another one that had four passengers going towards California. I wished they can finally post those new bus stops soon. And place them around the perimeter of Mt. Sinai Hospital.

I wondered when they're going to get all the destination signs programmed properly for those buses heading to California. I spotted 1193 yesterday on this route heading west sporting a 48 S Damen sign to Orange Line. That's going to throw a lot of passengers off because this bus didn't have a paper sign acknowledging the incorrect sign. It kind of reminds me of 2 years ago when the X9 Ashland Express first started service and a lot of the southbound buses for that route displayed '20 MADISON/20 to ILL CENTER' on their destination signs.

I wondered when they're going to get all the destination signs programmed properly for those sues heading to California. I spotted 1193 yesterday on this route heading west sporting a 48 S Damen sign to Orange Line. That's going to throw a lot of passengers off because this bus didn't have a paper sign acknowledging the incorrect sign. It kind of reminds me of 2 years ago when the X9 Ashland Express first started service and a lot of the southbound buses for that route displayed '20 MADISON/20 to ILL CENTER' on their destination signs.

I did see a bus that said "38 to California". I guess with the mass delivery of the new NF buses at Kedzie, I don't think many of them payed close attention with the new 38 westbound signs. I hope things will get corrected soon.