Carole Brown

Busjack

The Sun-Times has an update on her. Apparently, she no longer works at Lehmann Brothers (I wonder if anyone does). Also, apparently she wants to follow her friend and former CTA Chairman Valerie Jarrett to Washington.

I guess I'll leave out the expected comments about political incest and who will take over her "award winning" blog. Or what incompetent to expect next.

The Sun-Times has an update on her. Apparently, she no longer works at Lehmann Brothers (I wonder if anyone does). Also, apparently she wants to follow her friend and former CTA Chairman Valerie Jarrett to Washington.

I guess I'll leave out the expected comments about political incest and who will take over her "award winning" blog. Or what incompetent to expect next.

This ought to be interesting! Shes going to follow her like a hungry puppy.

Good riddance, if it comes to be. Maybe Barack can bury her so deep she

will never be heard from again. Can she take Huberman with her too ????

Well I can say I won't necessarily miss Brown, but Huberman hasn't really been that bad despite not being a transit pro like everyone would have preferred. He's an improvement over Kruesi to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...
I mentioned off board to jajuan that I wonder how Ron's PowerPoints are going to explain this.
Maybe he gets to skate. According to the Tribune, there is speculation that da Mare may put him in Arne Duncan's old job. Some other functionary can explain this and other turkeys, and Ron can complain more about his pension.

Well I can say I won't necessarily miss Brown, but Huberman hasn't really been that bad despite not being a transit pro like everyone would have preferred. He's an improvement over Kruesi to say the least.

I think Brown wanted to jump on the obama express. Just like Duncan, leaving the school system and feeding everyone that garbage that his job is finished in Chicago. Duncan is a sellout, Brown, Jarrett, all sellouts. They could care less in what state they leave Chicago.

• 1 month later...

Two more Sun-Times articles on the "fine management" at CTA:

CTA's bad gas bet. Apparently they hedged at the top of the market, and while diesel fuel would be about $2 a gallon if they had paid 2009 prices (CTA doesn't pay taxes, and the prices in that article --$5 then, $2.29 now--reflect posted prices at gas stations, which include taxes), and Carole justifies that.

So much for Sheila Nix saying "if fuel prices go down." CTA is still paying close to double market.

226 accordian buses remain idled. We knew that.

And, we are supposed to be shaking in our boots about Doomsday 2009?

And, we are supposed to be shaking in our boots about Doomsday 2009?

You know, when I heard about this yesterday, I could only shake my head. It is

kind of funny that they broke the cardinal rule of futures trading...you know...buy

low and sell high. Yes, if the cost stayed high, they'd look like geniuses. However,

they didn't and they don't. What is so annoying about the situation, though, is that

they feel justified now and sluff it off. We won't even discuss the pre-NABI bus shuffle

that continues today. Probably enough there to make a payment to the quarterly

pension fund (probably not, but you get my drift).

O well, ho hum :blink:

CTA's bad gas bet. Apparently they hedged at the top of the market, and while diesel fuel would be about $2 a gallon if they had paid 2009 prices (CTA doesn't pay taxes, and the prices in that article --$5 then, $2.29 now--reflect posted prices at gas stations, which include taxes), and Carole justifies that.

Busjack, I almost always agree with (and sometimes learn from) your posts. However, this time I have to point out a few discrepancies.

The prices quoted are for ULSD (ultra-low-sulpher diesel) fuel prices, not what we put in our cars. And, no, taxes were not included in any of those prices.

The ULSD fuel prices surged over $4.90 a gallon and were projected to go higher. CTA took a gamble (in hindsight a bad move) to lock in at $3.80, then prices dropped to $2.30. It's really unfair to categorize the CTA's price point as "the top of the market." The facts just don't support that. It more accurately the middle of the market.

This same move saved them millions last year, unfortunately this year's gamble is appearing to be a bad move.

As far as fine management, well, with Huberman gone, I think you can look for more realistic assessments and judgments about operations. He didn't care much about the financial end, and didn't understand much of it. He only cared about touting his achievements.

The prices quoted are for ULSD (ultra-low-sulpher diesel) fuel prices, not what we put in our cars. And, no, taxes were not included in any of those prices.
Gas stations have not been allowed to sell regular diesel fuel since 2007, or at least 2007 vehicles can only use ULSD (one source). The gas station prices I quoted were for ULSD.

Hence, the only question with regard to the gas station prices is the amount of tax embedded in it.

Gas stations have not been allowed to sell regular diesel fuel since 2007, or at least 2007 vehicles can only use ULSD (one source). The gas station prices I quoted were for ULSD.

Hence, the only question with regard to the gas station prices is the amount of tax embedded in it.

They locked in at this price when fuel prices were hovering close to $5 a gallon, so my reaction to the article was ok we have someone from the media stirring up controversy for the sake of controversy's sake. The article glosses over that many experts say that move was understandable given the high fuel prices at the time. What the quoted experts said is that it probably wasn't so smart to hedge the price for longer than three months. A sign that the media doesn't always do it's homework, the artic pictured is a hybrid 4000 when the caption refers to the NABIs.