The mysterious "V"

dauber

I've noticed, at least on the Red Line as well as the 2200 and 2300 cars on the Blue Line, that cars have a light near the end (that is, the end where the operator works) labeled, simply, "V," (and sometimes not labeled at all) but I've never seen it lit.

What is this "V" light???

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I got another clue...last night the Red Line went express from Lake to Fullerton. I got on at Harrison, and ONE of the express lights was blinking -- and at the same time, the "V" light was a solid red. The other express light only blinked during the express run, but the one that was blinking when I got on stayed on my whole trip, along with the solid red "V" light.

So...I'm guessing the light has something to do with express trips...ergo, the "V" must stand for "vroom."

So...I'm guessing the light has something to do with express trips...ergo, the "V" must stand for "vroom."

I don't know what the "V" light means, I'm just adding a little "colorful humor" to this topic, so to speak... :lol:

I'm guessing that if the "V" light is for "Vroom", then there must be a "B" light("B" for "BOOM incase the train develops a mechanical problem while going "Vroom")

This is how it'll work....

"Attention passengers, this (color) line train is running express to (last stop here). Next stop will be (next station train will stop at). <_<

http://www.coppoletta.net/ctastuff/sounds/...s%20Closing.wav

Train starts off good, gaining speed... All of a sudden.... Vroom... vroom... BOOM!!! :o

This will be followed shortly by one of these two annoucements...

http://www.coppoletta.net/ctastuff/sounds/...mentProblem.wav :blink:

http://www.coppoletta.net/ctastuff/sounds/...OperatorOff.wav :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I was on a Blue Line recently that ran express From Logan Square to Clark/Lake. It did not light up or blink. I do have a guess. Does the V stand for Voltage? Like a power issue.

when the light flashes does the train start to make a powering down sound like when a pink or brown line train does at the non third rail street level crossings?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this is not likely, but does the V stand for video surveillance? If it does, I'm not sure how effective it would be for security. Plus there are no signs noting that video surveillance is taking place like on the buses.

I know this is not likely, but does the V stand for video surveillance? If it does, I'm not sure how effective it would be for security. Plus there are no signs noting that video surveillance is taking place like on the buses.
Considering that they recently said that cameras would be only on the ones coming in the next order (i.e. 5000s).

Unless they were swerving us.

Does anyone have a picture of this "V", I was in Chicago for that past 4 days and rode the L quite a bit and didin't notice anything.

Here's a picture I took on the Red Line on my way home today...it was on my cell phone and moving, so it's a bit blurry, but this should be enough to give you an idea...and this one has the "V" above it! BTW -- this was on the front part of the car, near the operator's controls.

CTA-V.jpg

Okay, I have at a vague answer...

I recently filled out a "mystery shopper" survey, and at the end asked about the "V" light out of curiosity, and someone from CTA left me a voice mail. She said that the light on the operator cab is a status indicator for various systems in the car. (Didn't get more specific than that.) She said that when it's lit, there's another one on the exterior of the car that also lights so that any supervisor on the platform also knows about the "status." And apparently the operator has to get permission to turn this light on.

She added that there's nothing in her documentation that indicates what the "V" stands for or why it appears in some cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Pink Line this morning between 54/Cermak and Clinton and there seemed to be nothing wrong with my train. However, when we left Pulaski, the mysterious red light came on. The train proceeded at normal speed even though the train was getting that cab signal that usually comes on when a train is in a slow zone that beeps repeatedly every 3 to 5 seconds. The light stayed on from Pulaski to Western. We passed two trains going westbound which seemed to be in the same situation because all of their front red exterior lights were on in addition to the normal red and white marker ID lights. It seemed like some kind of signal test taking place.