New South Shore Cars

It has been reported in the past week that all the new equipment for the South Shore

has been received and is in the testing phase. The first cars were received by the Shore

in November and the final cars received in February. However, testing has found problems

in the auxiliary power and will keep these cars from service until March. These cars look

very similar to the Metra Electric Nippon Sharyo cars, except that their cars have end

doors, where newer Metra cars do not.

If anyone is interested in seeing some pics and further info on these, check out:

http://www.nictd.com/TempPDF/Status_of_New_Cars.pdf

It has been reported in the past week that all the new equipment for the South Shore

has been received and is in the testing phase. The first cars were received by the Shore

in November and the final cars received in February. However, testing has found problems

in the auxiliary power and will keep these cars from service until March. These cars look

very similar to the Metra Electric Nippon Sharyo cars, except that their cars have end

If anyone is interested in seeing some pics and further info on these, check out:

The new cars look nice but eventually this will eliminate the look of the interurban. This railroad is unique in itself, not only because its the last interurban railroad in existence but because of the type of cars used and its operations. Its a fun and exciting railroad to ride but to see these new cars possibly replacing all the single level cars, this system will ultimately look like just another Metra line.

Shouldn't be any confusion between ME and SS trains.

Will SS have automated announcements?

The new cars look nice but eventually this will eliminate the look of the interurban. This railroad is unique in itself, not only because its the last interurban railroad in existence but because of the type of cars used and its operations. Its a fun and exciting railroad to ride but to see these new cars possibly replacing all the single level cars, this system will ultimately look like just another Metra line.
The maroon stripe and interior seats make them more South Shore (and hence linked to interurbans) than the Metra ones, although there should have also been some orange stripes.

As far as the single level cars hearkening back to the interurban, the current ones were said to more reflect the Japanese bullet trains (since the manufacturer was the same), rather than the orange and maroon ones (which I often rode). At least the 1920s vintage cars had padded seats, and on the rebuilds, picture windows, compared to the green cars with the rattan seats on the IC.

I'm also surprised that they got away without the orange striping on the ends (which I thought was required after the IC wreck).

I'm also surprised that they got away without the orange striping on the ends (which I thought was required after the IC wreck).

I don't know if it was mandated, more like suggested in the wake of the IC crash from the NTSB. What is necessary are rear markers, whether it is a dim headlight, red marker lights or a flashing rear end device (FRED). During daytime hours a red flag is acceptable at the rear, which the stripes at the rear end of the commuter cars simulate. In other words, if you were to forget your markers during daylight hours and had striping on the rear, technically, you would not be in violation.

I don't think the current South Shore cars have stripes either.

• 1 month later...

The NICTD site said that operations were supposed to start March 30, and someone from railroad.net found this YouTube of the cars operating in Chicago.

They actually have been running in town since the 29th. They did some testing on that Sunday, one of which was to tie on to some of Metra's new cars to see if they could work together (which they can). No suprise there, since they are actually the same car, with some South Shore additions.

I don't know how they are operating in the morning, but there has been one string that is in the station when I get downtown at 2:00. That train leaves Randolph Street at 2:35. That has been running since the 30th.

Sorry about being slow to post all of this. I haven't been on the site much over the past 10 days !!!

I don't know how they are operating in the morning, but there has been one string that is in the station when I get downtown at 2:00. That train leaves Randolph Street at 2:35. That has been running since the 30th.
THE NICTD site says that it runs trains 116 and 109. 116 is from Michigan City and arrives at 12:21. As you noted, 109 leaves at 2:35.

That site also indicates that probably some time in May, they will split an inbound and an outbound train so that one train from South Bend essentially runs express between Michigan City and Chicago. The folks at railroad.net indicate that until some overhead wire work is done, the new trains probably won't run east of Michigan City.

The first passenger carrying trains were on the 30th March. I caught train #109 from Millenium to Hammond, it was formed of cars 301, 302, 303, 304, 313 & 314.

Here is a photo of the train leaving Hammond. The seating is superior to that in the Metra 1200 cars (and new cars for diesel routes). It is going to take some time for the South Shore customers to get used to flip-over seats. None of the existing fleet has them. The crew did not flip the seats on arrival in Chicago.

They actually have been running in town since the 29th. They did some testing on that Sunday, one of which was to tie on to some of Metra's new cars to see if they could work together (which they can). No suprise there, since they are actually the same car, with some South Shore additions.

Sorry about being slow to post all of this. I haven't been on the site much over the past 10 days !!!

post-93-1239215381_thumb.jpg

While I do like the new electric bilevel cars, what Im a bit disappointed with is the CSSSB decision to use these commuter cars for their service. As we all know the South Shore Line is unique in itself being the last interurban railroad system in the country. I enjoy more the single level Nippon Sharyo cars in its fleet. These new gallery style cars will give the S.S. a look similar to Metra, it will resemble just another Chicago commuter railroad. I wished CSSSB would not mess with a good thing! :)