Photos & Videos: Like Fine Wine...

Nabinut

At least the inside of 2969 is reminiscent of those of any system to those of us who rode 1950s Old Looks. However, I doubt that the sign is original, since it is Helvetica, and the really good ones had, in a more industrial stenciling, NO SMOKING OR SPITTING.

I vaguely remember riding something like 2969 in the CTA system when I was a little boy out of 69th garage. What happened to the interior in picture 4? Was that bus remodeled?

This was not the CTA #2969 you 'vaguely' remember riding. This was the New York City Omnibus Lines bus #2969 a.k.a "The Honeymooners" bus.

I vaguely remember riding something like 2969 in the CTA system when I was a little boy out of 69th garage. What happened to the interior in picture 4? Was that bus remodeled?

I doubt that it was out of 69th, since that was all propane from streetcar conversion to the end of the propane era.

However, the GMC buses might be similar to the 600 series that CTA acquired from CMC (or any prior series of CMC buses), and the 600s were around until about 1972, the last of them on Lawndale routes (21, 50), although they were previously in other places.

Basically, a GMC 1950s bus was about the same wherever it was.3100 was unusual in that it had the big air conditioner on the back.

Did you misunderstand my reply, Nabinut? I was quoting the late Jackie Gleason, who made bus #2969 popular in "The Honeymooners".

Good eye that it was the exact same bus, although I believe I remember hearing about preserving it for that reason. Anyone else have any details?

Did you misunderstand my reply, Nabinut? I was quoting the late Jackie Gleason, who made bus #2969 popular in "The Honeymooners".

One of these days SW, one of these days!! POW!! right in the kisser!! NYC Transit even named one of their bus garages Jackie Gleason Depot. Bang!! Zoom!!

You gotta love The Honeymooners! Ralph Kramden is the world's most famous bus driver!

I think almost every bus operator can relate to this famous Gleason character.

One of these days SW, one of these days!! POW!! right in the kisser!! NYC Transit even named one of their bus garages Jackie Gleason Depot. Bang!! Zoom!!

You gotta love The Honeymooners! Ralph Kramden is the world's most famous bus driver!

I think almost every bus operator can relate to this famous Gleason character.

There is also a statue of Jackie Gleason AKA Ralph Kramden on the 8th Avenue side of the Port of Authoriy Bus Terminal