Your bus view

newmember

Hello,

I am actually doing a report in which I have to do bus observation, specifically how does the age affect the use of space on cta bus. And others like how do people behave in the bus, their gestures where people sit, what they do, how they interact, where they get on or off. I rode on the bus and noticed a pattern. But everyone has their own interesting story and I want to know how people observe from their point of view. It's be very helpful if you will cooperate.

Thank you

Hello,

I am actually doing a report in which I have to do bus observation, specifically how does the age affect the use of space on cta bus. And others like how do people behave in the bus, their gestures where people sit, what they do, how they interact, where they get on or off. I rode on the bus and noticed a pattern. But everyone has their own interesting story and I want to know how people observe from their point of view. It's be very helpful if you will cooperate.

Thank you

When riders sit down on a bus as it fills coming from a terminal, they tend to sit by themselves versus next to somebody else. On buses with single file seating like the ex TMC's, #1600's or 1991 Flxible metros those seats would be filled first. When there are no more of those seats left then they would sit by themselves on the other seats. Lastly all seats left where they would sit next to somebody would be taken. Also most seniors sit in the front and younger people tend to sit in the rear.

Hello,

Thank you

I guess I am a quirky one. I tend to sit on the left side (driver's side) most of the time. On the Novas and the Pace NABIs, I try to sit directly across from the exit doors (on the Pace 40ft NABIs there is more leg room). If those seats aren't available I try to find any open left side seat facing forward first, then the perdendicular seats last. Depending on the length of the ride I will choose a window seat (longer ride)or the aisle seat (shorter ride). If I have to sit on the right side, more often than not I choose the aisle seat. If the bus is relatively full with most seats taken, I may sit next to a smaller person or I will stand. Hope this helps.

Thank you all for helping. For the seating, how it is arranged in the bus you are talking about? It sounds different from waht you are describing, the on I take is different, well it's CTA ofcourse.

Not even a given series is consistent.

To start, each has some longitudinal seats over the rear wheel wells and the wheelchair areas. There usually are two wheelchair positions at the left front, behind the wheel well.

Most of the rest of the bus is 2 by 2, but on the Novas, a couple of seats near the rear wheel well face backwards. Also, in the Novas, one set of seats is between the driver and the front wheel well, because of the "big nose" at the front of the bus. Novas lose about 5 seats (two against the rear wall, and a couple on the left side) because the engine is in a compartment that looks like a closet without an interior door, going up the left side of the bus.

However, starting in about 2009, there were more longitudinal seats; the bus is pretty much all longitudinal.

BusHunter is basically discussing when the buses had 2 by 1 seating, i.e. on the right side there was only a single seat, while on the left there were (in the 4400s and 5300s) the two wheelchair positions, and then front facing two seats in a row. The theory was to pack more standees. All of the series BusHunter describes are now gone.

The only buses that had what us old timers would call conventional seating (2 by 2 throughout) were the 4900s, which were not accessible, and also are not now in revenue service, although they seem to remain as work or fire department buses.