Bonuses

Busjack

There was an article in the Tribune about Metra investigating if and how the Executive Director got a $56,000 bonus. The article, probably as is to be expected, doesn't have much detail, but you wonder how someone could appropriate a bonus for oneself without board approval. However, the article does indicate a history of secret bonuses and the like, and after all this is Illinois and the RTA.

Check out Greg Hinz' blog at Crains Chicago. It appears he is the driving force on this story. I can only hope that this board "probe" finds more details on him, his "generals" and perhaps just how corrupt it is believed this guy is.

Here is the link. Basically the only thing different is that Hinz says he had presented the tip to Doris, so, that basically reinforces my prior view that the Tribune isn't doing original work. The references to executive session, while proper, indicate why Metra isn't saying anything else about this personnel matter.

A lot of commenters on that blog indicate that after 20 years, it is probably time for Phil to go.

There was an article in the Tribune about Metra investigating if and how the Executive Director got a $56,000 bonus. The article, probably as is to be expected, doesn't have much detail, but you wonder how someone could appropriate a bonus for oneself without board approval.

Hmmmm.... I have to wonder why this Tribune story is written by Richard Wronski and not the Trib's transportation reporter, Jon Hilkevitch?

Hmmmm.... I have to wonder why this Tribune story is written by Richard Wronski and not the Trib's transportation reporter, Jon Hilkevitch?

Wronski is another of the 3 or 4 Trib transportation reporters (I don't know if Kyles is still on that beat). In that this seems mostly lifted from Hinz, that would seem to indicate a Hlikevitch job, but Wronski seems to be the one with the "breaking" transportation news, instead of the Monday "Getting Around."

Again, this isn't from me being inside Tribune Tower, but just observing how the articles usually are.

The quote of the day:

The Regional Transportation Authority, which under state law has financial oversight over Metra, said it has taken no role in the inquiry.

"This was something initiated by the Metra board," spokeswoman Diane Palmer said. "We're obviously watching and seeing what unfolds."

Also, Hinz was on Chicago Tonight last night and indicated that this had to do with taking vacation pay in advance. Apparently Phil, besides getting paid $270K, only has to work 41 weeks a year.

Metra Phil Pagano killed in suicide: report

By: Greg Hinz May 07, 2010

(Crain's) — The longtime chief of Metra apparently committed suicide Friday morning, just as his employer was expected to fire him for financial irregularities.

Metra abruptly canceled its board meeting Friday morning and officials did not explain why.

A report on the Web site of the Northwest Herald newspaper cited sources who said Mr. Pagano apparently walked in front of a Metra train in Crystal Lake this morning.

• Upvote 1

(Crain's) — The longtime chief of Metra apparently committed suicide Friday morning, just as his employer was expected to fire him for financial irregularities.

Metra abruptly canceled its board meeting Friday morning and officials did not explain why.

A report on the Web site of the Northwest Herald newspaper cited sources who said Mr. Pagano apparently walked in front of a Metra train in Crystal Lake this morning.

What a tragic shame.

What a tragic shame.

First, why are people taking the Chris Kelly way out? Something like this could have been worked out, and I figure not even involving jail time. Just say one made an accounting error and offer restitution.

Second, consider the irony of the head of Metra committing suicide by train, when that was one of the things Metra was campaigning against.

Unbelieveable! I was shocked when I heard that it was Pagano who was killed at that rail incident this morning.

First, why are people taking the Chris Kelly way out? Something like this could have been worked out, and I figure not even involving jail time. Just say one made an accounting error and offer restitution.

Second, consider the irony of the head of Metra committing suicide by train, when that was one of the things Metra was campaigning against.

As I posted on Facebook: it is said that suicide is the most cowardice of acts. To also put a burden on an engineer just outright makes me mad as hell. Strange how it wasn't on a Metra owned line.

I agree with Busjack regarding working things out. I am lead to believe that there is more here than meets the eye..there is more going on here than one alleged bonus and forged signature.

However, in addition to my initial feeling, which I stated above, contraer to the Board's comment, this man had no regard for the people he worked with nor the people he allegedly served...he looked into the eyes of the engineer (the worst kind of hit an engineer can experience) and delayed commuters on the line. He took his life without regard to his family, leaving them in a damaged emotional state I am sure. This was all about him, it always was. Greed got the worst of him and this is the result.

I agree with Busjack regarding working things out. I am lead to believe that there is more here than meets the eye..there is more going on here than one alleged bonus and forged signature.

I first heard about the forged signature on the 6:00 p.m. news. I wondered how he could get an "unauthorized bonus," and I guess forging Doris's signature would be one way.

As to your implication that he was engaged in other questionable acts, I guess Metra would have to call in an auditor to figure that out. They said on Channel 7 that this investigation is over, but there were the reports yesterday that Durbin had sicced the FTA on Metra with regard to federal funds. Whether anything will be done about, what is more likely, state funds, is always a conjecture in this state.

As I posted on Facebook: it is said that suicide is the most cowardice of acts. To also put a burden on an engineer just outright makes me mad as hell. Strange how it wasn't on a Metra owned line.

Not strange, he lived in Crystal Lake and stood in front of the last train inbound from McHenry in the morning. While not condoning his actions, it had less impact on service than doing it on the mainline through Crystal Lake to Harvard.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to revise my comment about "not doing jail time" by the later revelation that over his career, Pagano embezzled $450,000, according to the investigating attorney. I'm not saying that he still shouldn't have killed himself in front of a train, but it becomes more obvious why certain Illinois politicians,apparently with a large restitution obligation and presumably broke, take that way out.

Maybe I shouldn't go back to this again, but the link on the front page to the Tribune editorial on lack of accountability at Metra and the RTA set me off.

The RTA says it was doing its job, but apparently its job is to do nothing, despite the fact that it is supposed to have financial oversight. The Metra board apparently let this ride until Hinz made a big enough stink (and probably produced the forged payment requisition). After 3 weeks, the Tribune acknowledges that it was Hinz's story.

It seems like the word accountability is foreign to at least 3 of the 4 transit agencies around here.* I see that all over the place, especially with regard to CTA Tattler posters who say that such things as the NABI debacle or the reports of up to $4.69 a gallon diesel through December 2009, when the market price from November 2008 through then was less than half that, are just things I question in hindsight, and no one should be held responsible for them.

It has been indicated that the FTA is looking into the federal funds angle, but, for me to be completely repetitive, one has to wonder whether Metra is going to look for restitution from Pagano's estate, or, as someone suggested in a Tribune message board, against Ladd for apparently approving some of the requisitions.

*trainman can tell me if that also applies to the fourth, although it doesn't appears that that one has the kind of money that can be embezzled as Metra does.

It seems like the word accountability is foreign to at least 3 of the 4 transit agencies around here.* .

*trainman can tell me if that also applies to the fourth, although it doesn't appears that that one has the kind of money that can be embezzled as Metra does.

You are correct, I don't think the fourth would have the big money as Metra does, and more importantly, I don't think there is anyone there smart enough to cook up the same kind of scheme Pagano had. Also, no one there is as elitist or as arrogant as Pagano was. They are really small potatoes compared to the other 2 service boards.

There are some rumors flying around that the purge is not totally over and that some high power people still may pay the price for what went on. I'll believe that when I see it. The big cheese is headed out this week for some rah-rah and damage control. I'll take a pass on that.