CTA Holiday Train

sw4400

I got a chance to ride the Holiday Train on the Orange/Brown line through-route on Friday and Saturday. (Once was planned, once was a pleasant surprise.) It looks great, as usual.

On Friday, the car I rode was a mixture of families, commuters, and students. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. One of the elves was leading some kids in songs, and most of the commuters were joining in. On Saturday, the crowd was still a lot of families, but also a lot of college-age students and young adults. A different elf from the one I noted Friday had everyone singing and laughing on this car, too. One older woman near me said she purposely missed her stop so she could stay on the train longer.

Even the operator (same one both days) was getting into the fun - announcing Santa's arrival and departure and important connections with a festive tone and comments. He seemed a light lighter and merrier than previous years. And he didn't do a lot of unnecessary chatter - which is frustrating since it overrides the music and is often hard to hear. However, he did have to keep reminding people to step away from the train when they were posing for pictures as the train was departing.

Thanks Jajuan. Make sure you get on the head car so we can talk some. The route combination isn't too hard. We make several announcments about the change. But when both sides of the Loop are in operation, only the Van Buren and Well street sides need attention. We have a quick remedy....."Transfer to the following Orange line train for Van Buren and for Wells." Of course on the weekends when they were doing track work, that option wasn't available. Lastly, we've had the Pink line running opposite to us..

That southbound Red/Purple run is the longest possible....41 stations if all the ones on the north side are open. One year I counted them in the station announcements, LOL. The northbound runs will be packed. So packed that no one can get on after Lake in the subway and the Mart on the elevated. If we really get delayed, rail control can send the following trains around us at Fullerton. Something to the effect...."The Red line train on the inside track will leave before the Red line Holiday Train on the outside track." The one's in a real hurry "jump ship" real quick, LOL.

DH

Last years Holiday Train at Linden, Purple line, Santa's favorite 'L' station.

CTAHoliday.jpg

Thank you. I will keep that in mind. And thanks for the other info. I learned a little something about how you guys handle the crowds on the busier lines when the Holiday train does those. I had wondered about that since Santa's sleigh on the flatbed car leaves less space available and knocks out two regular cars that would otherwise be available on a route that you expect to see eight-car trains instead of six transit cars.

Thanks Jajuan. Make sure you get on the head car so we can talk some. The route combination isn't too hard. We make several announcments about the change. But when both sides of the Loop are in operation, only the Van Buren and Well street sides need attention. We have a quick remedy....."Transfer to the following Orange line train for Van Buren and for Wells." Of course on the weekends when they were doing track work, that option wasn't available. Lastly, we've had the Pink line running opposite to us..

I rode the train on Sat on the Orange-Brown trip. Had a fun ride. Good job on the announcements! They were seasonal and provided transit/transfer info without being too babbling. I hope to catch it again.