quiet cars

west towns

According to a quick Google Search, the first and last cars on the train are to be quiet cars.

On the UP North line, the first car is often a Pullman-Standard or (More frequently) a Budd car. These cars are generally louder than newer cars, particularly the trucks when pivoting through curves or switches.

While to me, that is all part of the experience with older equipment (Many of my antique model trains are noisy too), one would logically have to talk louder to be heard in a normal conversation when coming into Northwestern Station through the curves and switches.

Can't wait to hear about it in the On The Bi Level, where someone gets chastised by train crew for loud conversation, when the car was making too much noise to be otherwise heard!

On the whole though, I like the idea of quiet cars. Consider that last time I went on Metra, from Lake Forest onward, there was some woman sitting next to me, blathering all her details about her financial particulars on the cell phone. Then had the nerve to turn to me, and snap at me to NOT to listen to her conversation, which I wasn't anyway!

On the UP North line, the first car is often a Pullman-Standard or (More frequently) a Budd car. These cars are generally louder than newer cars, particularly the trucks when pivoting through curves or switches.

Like since when? The cab cars are all 8400s (Nippon Sharyo-Amerail), and pretty much all the other cars are 6000s (Nippon Sharyo-Sumitomo). There may be an occasional 7200, or maybe even a sold and repurchased car, but the UP is about the last place one would find an old car.

Are you quite sure? Most trains I see, have at least one Budd or Pullman-Standard car on them. Usually, but not always, the car behind the locomotive, is a Budd it seems.

Many times that first car is not open for passengers though, so I wonder if they are using them as some sort of spacer, or only open them at rush hour?

Besides, if you really want to get technical, how's about that old CNW single level coach? Car 553? Oldest car on the system, and exclusive to the North Line!:lol:

While on the whole, the idea of a quieter car is a good thing, a library atmosphere type car is crazy. Mute the cells, don't yell if you're on them, turn off or down the I-Pods, etc... But no cells whatsoever??? Suppose you're going to be late for work or something and just happen to be in the quiet car? Are you supposed to walk between cars while the train is traveling at 55-60 mph to tell your boss you'll be late? And what if you're sick?

AHCHOO!!! *Cough Cough* *Nose Blow*

Passengers look at person angrily because he/she is being noisy in the quiet car.

Are you quite sure? Most trains I see, have at least one Budd or Pullman-Standard car on them. Usually, but not always, the car behind the locomotive, is a Budd it seems.

Many times that first car is not open for passengers though, so I wonder if they are using them as some sort of spacer, or only open them at rush hour?

Besides, if you really want to get technical, how's about that old CNW single level coach? Car 553? Oldest car on the system, and exclusive to the North Line!:lol:

Somehow you seem to have missed that the UP got about 150 new cars in about 2003-2005. I said that it was possible that they have some 7200s or 8200s transferred from the Milw or RI, just like the Milw had, before then, some painted cars transferred from the CNW. If you have evidence of massive painted cars on the UP, please post a picture.

All trains have to have a cab car, so the engineer can see where he is going. People have posted, though, that while the cab car had to be kept open before 2005, because it was the only accessible car then on the UP, the cab car is closed at other nonrush hour times to minimize injury in the case of a collision.

Mentioning that before 2005, only the cab car was accessible, it is generally the rule that bicycles are only allowed at the handicapped positions, when not in use. On the Milw N, which I normally ride, the schedule says 9 bikes, or 3 per accessible car (usually one 7400 and two 8500s). The UPN midday schedule says 20. That would not be possible if they are predominantly using old equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow you seem to have missed that the UP got about 150 new cars in about 2003-2005. I said that it was possible that they have some 7200s or 8200s transferred from the Milw or RI, just like the Milw had, before then, some painted cars transferred from the CNW. If you have evidence of massive painted cars on the UP, please post a picture.

All trains have to have a cab car, so the engineer can see where he is going. People have posted, though, that while the cab car had to be kept open before 2005, because it was the only accessible car then on the UP, the cab car is closed at other nonrush hour times to minimize injury in the case of a collision.

Mentioning that before 2005, only the cab car was accessible, it is generally the rule that bicycles are only allowed at the handicapped positions, when not in use. On the Milw N, which I normally ride, the schedule says 9 bikes, or 3 per accessible car (usually one 7400 and two 8500s). The UPN midday schedule says 20. That would not be possible if they are predominantly using old equipment.