New Bus at North Park Garage

sw4400

No, it's not a 1000 Series New Flyer.  It's not even "new" in that sense.  Sorry if that is what you thought it was, :P but it's a TMC RTS.  I got on it on the #11 Lincoln route yesterday(#4822).  This bus is obviously new to the garage though as the sticker on the windshield is a "7", not a "P".

The TMC's numbers at North Park are the 4400's(4400-4499; there may be some breaks here and there, but they have nearly 100% of this number series), the 4500's(a mix of early and late numbers here. More of the later numbers however), the 4600's(I've seen 4600, they may have a few more than that), the 4700's(I have seen in the past but not recently 4710, 4741, 4758, and 4762), and the 4800's(4822-New Addition, that's all I remember seeing as of now for this group; although I'm sure NP has a couple more 4800's)

Quick question to the Chicagobus.org members: in 1989-1990, when we first got the TMC's, were there any other noticable differences in their appearance beside the fact of no A/C?  I noticed when Kevin put their history page up on here, he mentioned when they got a overhaul in 2002, they got LED brake lights.  Did they come with some other brake lights than the circular ones they have?

When we got the TMC's, the brake lights weren't LED(?) and were very bland to look at from far distances...when the overhaul appeared, the brake lights were very bright and noticable. Keep in mind, usually RTS's have the lifts in the back of the bus, but with this model the lifts were moved to the front in order to match the specifications with the CTA.

LED brake lights are a 21st century development, but a retrofit. I believe that CTA's TMCs always had round brake lights, which would make them different from most RTSs, which had square lights (similar to the headlight arrangement in front).

With regard to appearance, repaintings have resulted in inconsistencies, such as the fleet numbers of some being in italics or reverse italics. Some have commented that the fleet numbers on the rehabbed 5800s are in a narrower font.

Various exterior parts are replaced with wear, but I don't think that affects the overall configuration.

The TMC's numbers at North Park are the 4400's(4400-4499; there may be some breaks here and there, but they have nearly 100% of this number series), the 4500's(a mix of early and late numbers here.

In 1995, when the 5800s were received and 74th finally received accessible buses, approximately 4490-4559 were sent from NP to 74th. Some of the 4480s were subsequently seen on Kedzie routes. (From about 1995 to 2001, just about all of the garages, except possibly 103rd, had some TMCs.) As a result of the rehabs, most of these have been reassigned, many back to NP, and most of 74th's are now in the 4800 range.