Subway picture

mel bernero

Actually Transfer Stamp dates one more.* While those went out when they started issuing transfers without routes being shown on the maps (I think about 1974), in retrospect one can't really find a use for them. Of course, today, the card tracks your transfer rights.

Having a Washington-State station and somebody actually cleaning it are also relics (assuming that the guy wasn't just posing for the photographer).

Also, the idea of current management that knows nothing about transit trying to get concessionaires, as you indicate. Someone should get them a picture where there actually were businesses in the storefronts under the north side L, at least.

*I see the sign, not the machine.

Actually Transfer Stamp dates one more.* While those went out when they started issuing transfers without routes being shown on the maps (I think about 1974), in retrospect one can't really find a use for them. Of course, today, the card tracks your transfer rights.

Having a Washington-State station and somebody actually cleaning it are also relics (assuming that the guy wasn't just posing for the photographer).

Also, the idea of current management that knows nothing about transit trying to get concessionaires, as you indicate. Someone should get them a picture where there actually were businesses in the storefronts under the north side L, at least.

*I see the sign, not the machine.

You need to remember in the old days, you only had 10 minutes a zone for a transfer to be valid. The transfer stamp was a time stamp and was the L version of the operators punch in the zone box. As for the pic, I though the same thing you did, seeing the transfer stamp and someone actually cleaning a station. In the picture, the stamp is on the opposite side about chest high on the post.

Attached is a company photo taken by the CTA in 1961 from my collection.

The reason I am posting the photo is that you know you are getting old when you remember the gum, candy, peanut and soda machines that were in the Chicago subway stations.

Mel

Hi Mel;

I just turned 57 but I can just barely remember vending machines at the platform

level. :lol:

Gene King

... In the picture, the stamp is on the opposite side about chest high on the post.

Now that you mention it, I do see it. It is sort of framed by his underarm. I thought that was part of the Blatz sign.

I knew what the transfer rules were, but in retrospect they didn't seem to make sense.