F-40-PHM-2 on UP-North Line?

Railwaymodeler

This morning around 9 AM, I saw something very unusual on the UP-North line at Waukegan: An F-40-PHM-2 pushing a train towards Chicago!

Seems very strange, as the ex-CNW lines used ATS, and equipment running on it needs to have ATS shoes on the trucks. I remember when I was younger, seeing GP-15-1 UP locomotives as a pilot unit on freight trains rumbling through Lake Bluff, only because those Geeps had the ATS shoe.

Does anyone know what's up with this sighting?

This morning around 9 AM, I saw something very unusual on the UP-North line at Waukegan: An F-40-PHM-2 pushing a train towards Chicago!

Seems very strange, as the ex-CNW lines used ATS, and equipment running on it needs to have ATS shoes on the trucks. I remember when I was younger, seeing GP-15-1 UP locomotives as a pilot unit on freight trains rumbling through Lake Bluff, only because those Geeps had the ATS shoe.

Does anyone know what's up with this sighting?

Last week I spotted one at Jefferson Park on the UP-NW line OB.

I do wonder if, as long as they apparently needed loaner units then, they are killing two birds with one stone and testing the F-40-PHM-2 units on our line at the same time?

Time was the Winnebagos were only found on the BNSF Line (BN when this was true), but nowadays I find them also on the line to Antioch. The hobby shop I go to, is across the parking lot from the Antioch Metra station.

Still leaves the question about the ATS system. I was always under the impression it was mandatory to have it on equipment running on the UP-North line, but apparently either it isn't, or they got an exemption.

Time was the Winnebagos were only found on the BNSF Line (BN when this was true), but nowadays I find them also on the line to Antioch. The hobby shop I go to, is across the parking lot from the Antioch Metra station.

Still leaves the question about the ATS system. I was always under the impression it was mandatory to have it on equipment running on the UP-North line, but apparently either it isn't, or they got an exemption.

The NCS service usually ran with the same equipment as the UP.

Obviously, the trains have to run with some sort of signalling system. However, note that you said it was pushing a train, so the signal system was in the cab. One might assume that a train that was pushed in would be pulled out, but that doesn't mean that the ATS wasn't retrofitted, considering that there are now mandates for positive train control (especially after the two wrecks at 47th). Note that the FRA says that both BNSF and UP are leading the way on this

Are any engineers on this board??????

The NCS service usually ran with the same equipment as the UP.

Obviously, the trains have to run with some sort of signalling system. However, note that you said it was pushing a train, so the signal system was in the cab. One might assume that a train that was pushed in would be pulled out, but that doesn't mean that the ATS wasn't retrofitted, considering that there are now mandates for positive train control (especially after the two wrecks at 47th). Note that the FRA says that both BNSF and UP are leading the way on this

Are any engineers on this board??????

NCS service runs in a joint pool with Milwaukee District not UP.

I do wonder if, as long as they apparently needed loaner units then, they are killing two birds with one stone and testing the F-40-PHM-2 units on our line at the same time?

F40PH-2M were allocated to BN and RI when new. In 1996 when NCS was introduced two of the high numbers were transferred from RI to MD/NCS pool. This at the time included 213 which was named Village of Franklin Park. At present it is 211/2 and they are almost exclusively used on NCS.

At present allocations are, I believe:-

185-201, 205, 209, 213, 214 BNSF

202-204, 206-208 RI

210 UP - since January 2011

211, 212 MD/NCS

210 has the ATS equipment fitted along with 113, 119-121, 124-127 which are in the UP pool at present.

Not the way the car assignments look on that line, from the street.

It is definitely operated out of the MD yard at Western Avenue. When the quiet car concept was introduced in June 2011 a significant number of UP 6000 cars were transferred to MD/NCS as all quiet cars are 6000s. In return UP got a random collection of 7300/ 8200 from MD.

It is definitely operated out of the MD yard at Western Avenue. When the quiet car concept was introduced in June 2011 a significant number of UP 6000 cars were transferred to MD/NCS as all quiet cars are 6000s. In return UP got a random collection of 7300/ 8200 from MD.

I would swear that I saw a 7300 series Budd car desiganted a quiet car on the MD line.

None of this is really anything new. The UP has had Budd coaches since the Pullmans were being retired.

As for the 200 series engines, they all have ATS. Anything that runs on the Rock has to have it since south of Blue Island the line is ATS and they have had 200 series engines forever. Also the Milwaukee has always had at least one 200 series engine and that was increased to as many as 5 about when service was expanded in Antioch. The 200's have the largest fuel tanks (yes, even larger than the MP36), so with Antioch being the farthest distance, a number were moved from the Rock to take on the extra mileage. The Antioch line does not use ATS, and in fact if I recall, the only places in Metra service where that applies are all of the UP lines and the Rock south of Blue Island. The UP must be short somehow, since there have been a couple of Winnebagos there since the early part of summer, as has been mentioned.

As for quiet cars, there is no distinguishing what kind of car is quiet. There is nothing special about anything other than all the wasted paper noting that the car is suppose to be quiet. Wherever the equipment fell in the consist, if that was the designated car it got slapped a sticker and that was it.

None of this is really anything new. The UP has had Budd coaches since the Pullmans were being retired.

As for the 200 series engines, they all have ATS. Anything that runs on the Rock has to have it since south of Blue Island the line is ATS and they have had 200 series engines forever. Also the Milwaukee has always had at least one 200 series engine and that was increased to as many as 5 about when service was expanded in Antioch. The 200's have the largest fuel tanks (yes, even larger than the MP36), so with Antioch being the farthest distance, a number were moved from the Rock to take on the extra mileage. The Antioch line does not use ATS, and in fact if I recall, the only places in Metra service where that applies are all of the UP lines and the Rock south of Blue Island. The UP must be short somehow, since there have been a couple of Winnebagos there since the early part of summer, as has been mentioned.

As for quiet cars, there is no distinguishing what kind of car is quiet. There is nothing special about anything other than all the wasted paper noting that the car is suppose to be quiet. Wherever the equipment fell in the consist, if that was the designated car it got slapped a sticker and that was it.

UP lines have had Budd cars since before the mass retirement of Pullmans.

Antioch is 52.8m the furthest Metra station is Harvard (UP-NW) 63.1m

There has only been 210 this year and it has been on UP since January 2011. The shortage is due to several UP F40PH-2 having gone down south for rebuild to F40PH-3 by Progress Rail (at present 131, 135, 136, 140, 142, 145 & 148 are away, UP has 113, 119, 120, 121, 124, 125 & 210 as replacements (126 & 127 are also on UP but have been off and on for years)).

Quiet cars on UP lines are always 6000 series cars. Consists are made up so that the second car from either end is always a 6000. In June 2011 10 6000 cars moved from UP to MD and 10 Budds were moved the other way so MD had more disabled access cars.