Grumman Flxible.

jesi2282

Did anyone know that PACE operated the Grumman Flxible? I know PACE operated them for a few years, Does anyone have photos of this bus?  (I've only seen one photo of it when it ran #307 Harlem.)

I don't have any photos of such buses. However, many of those Grumman Flxibles ran in Pace West Division service until 1993 (often in substandard condition), when they were replaced by the 2200-series Ikarus 416's.

They had about 205 of them, starting with the 8200 series. They were taken off the street when NYC had the problem with suspensions cracking, but apparently were inspected and reinstated. Were also in South and Northwest at some time (I remember some with huge 355 Lansing via Sibley roll signs). A lot of transit authorities wouldn't buy the Grumman 870s after the NYC experience, but would later take the Metros.

Pace use to run those buses on route 290 which passes by the building I live in. I did take a few slides of those buses on that route. I really liked the large destination signs that were easy to read.  

That was when those Grumman Flxible 870's still had mechanical roller destination signs. Later in their lives, they were replaced by first-generation electronic flip-dot destination signs (some of them from Vultron Trans Dot, most from Luminator).

• 7 months later...