The CTA on MTV: Rock Videos Featuring the 'L'

Paul Fortini

You forgot the movie "The Fugitive". It features a scene in which Harrison Ford(Richard Kimble) fights the one-armed man aboard a 3200-Series Railcar.

2400s (Old Scheme) were also shown on that film on Elevated track when Richard Kimble was on a payphone with the detective, when Kimble was lying to him by saying that he was located in St. Louis, I was laughing on a part after that when Marshall crew was tracking the phone that they heard a Train background and Henry thought it was fishy after he heard "St Louis" that the train sounded like an "L" and other guy said "St Louis doesn't have a elevated Train", I thought it was hilarious. I just got done watching that on ION Channel.

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny because, its one of my Top favorite films that were shot in Chicago, used to watch it everyday, I heard "Next Stop, Balbo Station, BALBO", and it was never an "Balbo Stop". Wow, 3200s were spanky brand new on that film.

I was rescanning my TV last night, and The Fugitive was on channel 38.1 just as I hit it. In that it looked like a CTA car hit my eye, and then the Balbo announcement reminded me of this post.

Took about 20 minutes of searching on Youtube, but I found that commercial:

For those of us who don't watch television. Haven't watched a whole 30 minute show in YEARS!

Took a good look at this commercial, and it's not all shot in a 2600, perhaps the interior isn't even a 2600(it's too crowded to tell for me), but at the 0:16 mark in the commercial, the actor with the bottlecap is looking at Blinker-Style Doors which tells me this commercial, or at least that portion, was shot on a 2200-Series Railcar.

BTW: Way to spoil the suprise, Railwaymodeler!!! :angry::lol: That was why the CTA kept sending the 5000's back to Bombardier for "repairs". In the event of holdups, to make up lost time, the Rail Operator presses a button encased in a plastic dome and the 5000-Series Train turns into the silver bullet you see in this commercial, complete with the Coors Light bottles, but to avoid lawsuits about minors drinking, they'll either be empty or harmlessly filled with water.

Took a good look at this commercial, and it's not all shot in a 2600, perhaps the interior isn't even a 2600(it's too crowded to tell for me), but at the 0:16 mark in the commercial, the actor with the bottlecap is looking at Blinker-Style Doors which tells me this commercial, or at least that portion, was shot on a 2200-Series Railcar.

Yep, exterior is a 2600, interior a 2200.

Of course, neither stops at Third or Park, nor does the Red Line split on one end

And, as in any beer commercial, certainly not that number of hot babes drinking beer.

BTW: Way to spoil the suprise, Railwaymodeler!!! :angry::lol: That was why the CTA kept sending the 5000's back to Bombardier for "repairs". In the event of holdups, to make up lost time, the Rail Operator presses a button encased in a plastic dome and the 5000-Series Train turns into the silver bullet you see in this commercial, complete with the Coors Light bottles, but to avoid lawsuits about minors drinking, they'll either be empty or harmlessly filled with water.

Well, given that in Hi-Rail O gauge, MTH has made a Coors Silver Bullet train set, one could build an L line on an O gauge layout and run the Silver Bullet on it. I think their model will run on O-31 curves, maybe even O-27. Either curve would be fairly close for that scale, to L line curves.

Of course, Lionel could respond with a nod to their past in the process. Anyone remember Lionel's short-lived "Revolver" toys? These were made in the late 1980s, and were a toy car that could flip over and become a different car. Maybe Lionel could make a set of 2600 series L cars, that, with the push of a button (On a Lionel TrainMaster control), could become the Coors Silver Bullet as it did in the commercial.

Now I'm getting way into fantasy, and have pain meds going through my system right now, so I'd better stop now!

• 11 years later...
On 12/31/2011 at 4:59 PM, Paul Fortini said:

We all know that many movies feature the Chicago 'L' prominently including:

2) Blues Brothers

I just met someone who said she and her husband owned the building where Elwood took Jake after he was released  from Joliet, with the L running outside the building. However, she assured me that Carrie Fisher did not blow it up.☺️ (Not the Plymouth Hotel. Also, ignore the scene with the 2400; the single unit car on a Ravenswood train gives a better idea where it was.)