Beer ads on the CTA

dann

This weekend after attending BluesFest, my wife and I went home via the Blue Line and on cars 2985-2986 I saw a wrap ad for Coors Light and inside the cars there are more Coors Light ads. While my wife and I personally aren't against seeing any beer advertising on CTA vehicles, I seem to recall that a few years ago the CTA instituted a ban on beer advertising because, according to some South Side activists, such advertising glorifies beer drinking and alcohol abuse. Does anybody else recall the CTA issuing a ban on alcohol advertising?

This weekend after attending BluesFest, my wife and I went home via the Blue Line and on cars 2985-2986 I saw a wrap ad for Coors Light and inside the cars there are more Coors Light ads. While my wife and I personally aren't against seeing any beer advertising on CTA vehicles, I seem to recall that a few years ago the CTA instituted a ban on beer advertising because, according to some South Side activists, such advertising glorifies beer drinking and alcohol abuse. Does anybody else recall the CTA issuing a ban on alcohol advertising?

Whatever CTA banned (which apparently also included violent video games), they went back on it, and decided that they need the money.

See the Press Release on Chicago Transit Authority Amends Advertising Guidelines, which mentions "including lifting the ban on advertising alcoholic beverages on rail cars and at certain rail stations."

Edit: Did the cars turn into the Silver Bullet Express, like in the commercials? Or were the commercials fraudulent? :o

Edit: Did the cars turn into the Silver Bullet Express, like in the commercials? Or were the commercials fraudulent? :o

If I recall, it was nowhere near the Silver Bullet Express, but there were plenty of ads depicting it inside the train.

There were two commercials depicting heavy rail rapid transit from Coors. One is on Youtube, called "Catch the train". May or may not be Chicago, but shows what could be a CTA L station, with the Silver Bullet stopping.

The other one, with the split-identity CTA L cars, a few brief shots of the exterior show the lead car transforming into the Silver Bullet steam locomotive.

Come to think of it, then I suppose the Catch the Train commercial has to be in Chicago - New York is out, as they've had a ban on steam power in city limits for over a hundred years!:P

There are photos of buses from back in the day with beer ads on them.

In the day, I remember Drewery's beer

In fact, beer was one of the mainstays of exterior bus advertising cards. I remember on suburban ones signs for Hamms. In fact, I might have been so deluded as a child that after wearing off putting baseball cards in the spokes, for that motorcyle effect,* I "decorated" my bike with parodies of beer ads.

Now, all CTA has (at least on the front) is The U.

________

*No, I didn't care if it sounded like an DD or Cummins.