Buses in Movies/on TV

i8itall4u

I was channel surfing Sunday 6/17 and came across an episode of Hardcastle and McCormick. The end featured a bus chase involving two Flxible New Looks. They did the typical "jerk the steering wheel to run the other guy off the road" move. The chase ended with one of them rolling onto its side. Had they been cta buses, one would have been an 8500 and the other a 3000 (ok insert all your jokes now). I thought that was amusing.

• 5 months later...

Check out the CTA bus action from this 1975 movie! CTA 6000s throughout the movie. The bus clip starts at 6:45. Just for fun, lets see who can spot the discrepancies concerning both of the two CTA buses used. :)

http://youtu.be/qHSozzRPeUE

In the scene where they jumped onto the back of the 300 series fishbowl, you can see a newer 1000 series fishbowl (bus 1515 to be exact) going the other way. Those buses of course didn't yet exist at the time the movie was supposed to take place.

Since imdb says that the move is set in 1960, that basically raises the Hulk Hogan question "what are you gonna do/" when they filmed it in 1975? :lol: They didn't have Jay Leno's CGI then, either.

But that seems to be the correct answer to what 5750 asked. What may be more obscure is knowing that it was set in the 1960s.

BTW, imdb has various other discontinuities noted, but not this one.

Chicago13 got one of two answers! Good Job!!! As the opening of the movie shows, it was set in "Chicago 1964". So a GMC 5307 in 1964??? Not possible!!! :) That we all know of course never happened. The first of the CTA #1000 series 5307s didnt arrive until 1972. Did anyone see something unusual about bus #388? See if anyone gets that one! In another interesting story here, this may sound crazy but Im still with a curiosity over the driver of bus #1515. For years now Ive been looking over and over freeze framing the scene. It might seem nuts but I swear the driver of #1515 looks like my dad! I have quite a few facts at hand that could possibly prove this theory. #1 Of course the movie was filmed in 1975. #2. My dad began his career at CTA in 1972. #3. He began working out of North ave Garage. #4 The front dest. sign reads "#70 Division" which operated out of North ave. #5. Bus #1515 was assigned to North ave. North ave recieved GMC buses #1330 to #1524. #6. My dad frequently operated Division. #7. The image of the driver looks very much like my dad. I have a DVD copy of the movie, Im hoping there is some way I can somehow enhance the image of the bus drivers face and possibly get a more positive Id. I have no way of finding out from my dad since he is no longer with us. But it would be nice to find out for sure. And the adventure continues!!! :) @Artthouwill, yes that is Kimball/Lawerence terminal. You briefly see a Flxble on the #82 Kimball/Homan NB. I love how #388 pulls up fast with that familiar sounding brake screeching that CTA buses always did. Then when you hear the bus departing, that was the sound of the #3300/3400/3500 series Flxible New Looks. I remember the #300/400s had a loud exhaust sound to them, plus they emitted lots of diesel smoke from the bottom exhaust pipe. Those were cool sounding buses. I was fortunate to ride with my dad once on GMC #301 out of FG when I was in high school in the 80s. I went to Carl Schurz HS on Milwaukee ave. As always, you had the regular Milwaukee trips plus the supplementary school trips that only went as far as the Logan Square terminal. I saw #301 in the distance so I waited for it to pull up and low and behold it was my dad behind the wheel! :) He was doing an OT school tripper #56 to Logan Square and back to the garage. Excited as I was, I stayed with him to the garage. That would be the one and only time I would ever ride with my dad driving an old bus like #301.

.... #4 The front dest. sign reads "#70 Division" which operated out of North ave. ...

Which would bring up another inconsistency. Since they were hitching a ride to Lincoln Park Zoo, 156 might have been a possibility, since in the downtown-near north area, the GMCs were out of Limits and primarily on 153 and 156.

I can't speak of 1964, but in the early 70s, 70 Division (which ran via State and Randolph to Northwestern Station) used 5000 series very old Twin Coach propanes. Also, based on that route, they would not have ended up at Lincoln Park Zoo.

I also take it that your father was there too late to drive the trolley buses, which were retired by 1973. Before then, the primary propane bus routes out of North and Cicero were 70 and 73. Was there a slight overlap?

Which would bring up another inconsistency. Since they were hitching a ride to Lincoln Park Zoo, 156 might have been a possibility, since in the downtown-near north area, the GMCs were out of Limits and primarily on 153 and 156.

I can't speak of 1964, but in the early 70s, 70 Division (which ran via State and Randolph to Northwestern Station) used 5000 series very old Twin Coach propanes. Also, based on that route, they would not have ended up at Lincoln Park Zoo.

I also take it that your father was there too late to drive the trolley buses, which were retired by 1973. Before then, the primary propane bus routes out of North and Cicero were 70 and 73. Was there a slight overlap?

On the contrary Busjack, my dad did operate the Marmon Trolley buses. He was hired in Sept. 1972 and assigned to North Ave Garage, six months before the trolley buses were retired, he also operated the #5000 propanes for a bit as well as the #3700 for Lake st. and #8500 series Flxibles. Soon after the #1000 series GMC 5307s arrived. I do recall my dad telling me stories of him operating on the #153 driving #8500 series Flxibles which were assigned at North ave. as well as the old Keeler Garage. So my dad actually had the opportunity to drive several model buses with three different modes of power, all within his first six months at North ave. I know Im jealous!!! :)

Chicago13 got one of two answers! Good Job!!! As the opening of the movie shows, it was set in "Chicago 1964". So a GMC 5307 in 1964??? Not possible!!! :) That we all know of course never happened. The first of the CTA #1000 series 5307s didnt arrive until 1972. Did anyone see something unusual about bus #388? See if anyone gets that one! In another interesting story here, this may sound crazy but Im still with a curiosity over the driver of bus #1515. For years now Ive been looking over and over freeze framing the scene. It might seem nuts but I swear the driver of #1515 looks like my dad! I have quite a few facts at hand that could possibly prove this theory. #1 Of course the movie was filmed in 1975. #2. My dad began his career at CTA in 1972. #3. He began working out of North ave Garage. #4 The front dest. sign reads "#70 Division" which operated out of North ave. #5. Bus #1515 was assigned to North ave. North ave recieved GMC buses #1330 to #1524. #6. My dad frequently operated Division. #7. The image of the driver looks very much like my dad. I have a DVD copy of the movie, Im hoping there is some way I can somehow enhance the image of the bus drivers face and possibly get a more positive Id. I have no way of finding out from my dad since he is no longer with us. But it would be nice to find out for sure. And the adventure continues!!! :) @Artthouwill, yes that is Kimball/Lawerence terminal. You briefly see a Flxble on the #82 Kimball/Homan NB. I love how #388 pulls up fast with that familiar sounding brake screeching that CTA buses always did. Then when you hear the bus departing, that was the sound of the #3300/3400/3500 series Flxible New Looks. I remember the #300/400s had a loud exhaust sound to them, plus they emitted lots of diesel smoke from the bottom exhaust pipe. Those were cool sounding buses. I was fortunate to ride with my dad once on GMC #301 out of FG when I was in high school in the 80s. I went to Carl Schurz HS on Milwaukee ave. As always, you had the regular Milwaukee trips plus the supplementary school trips that only went as far as the Logan Square terminal. I saw #301 in the distance so I waited for it to pull up and low and behold it was my dad behind the wheel! :) He was doing an OT school tripper #56 to Logan Square and back to the garage. Excited as I was, I stayed with him to the garage. That would be the one and only time I would ever ride with my dad driving an old bus like #301.

I thought when they got off at Lincoln Park Zoo that the bus was going north and the destination sign indicated Soldier Field