Heads Up, Rare Appearances, 3200s In State St. Subway

chicagopcclcar

Here's another photo opportunity for you, 3200s on two private charters this coming weekend, making northbound moves down the southside incline on both days, Saturday, Oct. 13 at about 1250 and on Sunday, October 14, at about 1100. Both runs go all the way through the subway; Saturday to Davis St. on the Evanston and Sunday to Kimball on the Ravenswood, but that's old hat, LOL. Times are approximate as the final schedule and bulletins won't be made before Friday. But since 3200s don't make it into the subways, that's kinda rare. Both charters are associated with the Science & Industry Museum.

DH

But since 3200s don't make it into the subways, that's kinda rare.

Actually, they were assigned to the Red Line for a short time about 10 years ago(March 17, 2003 according to Chicago-L.org). Units 3401-3402, 3411-3412, 3431-3432 and 3439-3440 were assigned for a time with the Brown Line getting 2681-2682, 2769-2770, 2825-2826, 2853-2854 in addition to the normally assigned 2989-2998 at that time.

post-10-13498938003034_thumb.jpg

Actually, they were assigned to the Red Line for a short time about 10 years ago(March 17, 2003 according to Chicago-L.org). Units 3401-3402, 3411-3412, 3431-3432 and 3439-3440 were assigned for a time with the Brown Line getting 2681-2682, 2769-2770, 2825-2826, 2853-2854 in addition to the normally assigned 2989-2998 at that time.

I remember when I rode the #3200's when they were testing those out on the Red line when they were new. They were still using the Jackson Park Howard configuration back then and they came down the old Roosevelt incline. There were just the four cars, #3201-04, attached to #2600's. I remember how quiet those were in the subway. Something I'll never forget. We'll I guess we'll get that opportunity again when the #5000's run down the Roosevelt incline once again next year.

Schedule-wise, the two weekend charters were quite the opposite. Saturday saw the weekend bridge lifts combined with half the Loop trackage closed due to construction bring elevated service to its knees. I don't know if it was due to the size of the boat flotilla or if one of the bridges carrying the "L" tracks had a problem. I don't know if a four car Brown-Orange northbound train can fit in between the Wells Street bridge and Tower 18. If it can't fit, when that bridge raised, all the following detoured Green line trains and rerouted Pink line trains would be halted by the blockade. We actually encountered the backup out on the Green line at 26th St. Then the Lake Street bridge was raised compounding the problem. Fortunately once the bridges were lowered, the traffic jam on the elevated cleared within the hour. While devoted railfans know that one of the curved routes at Tower 18 is known for the ability to "reloop Brown line trains on the Loop", in the event of a problem with a Wells Street bridge raise, we learned that there is a remotely controlled crossover just west of Clinton (Green/Pink) in place to turn Green and Pink line trains in event of trouble with a Lake Street bridge raise. Our weekend charters used that crossover to change directions several times. A similar crossover will be built on the north side approach to downtown in the future.

The Sunday charter went smoothly and actually ended ahead of schedule. We saw the 18th Street bridge in the up position as we scooted by on the South Side 'L', so whatever traffic jams that had developed were well on their way to being cleared up. Plus, we traveled beneath the downtown in the subway, lucky us, this time. And Sunday's schedule saw us turning at Clark Tower onto the Ravenswood branch headed to Kimball. We stayed away from the reroutes farther north from Wilson through Granville.

When both charters travelled to Cottage Grove on the East branch, the role of the 1893 Columbian Exposition was detailed including the part played by the South Side 'L'. Some interesting observations included 2400s and 5000s stored at Midway yard. Howard yard also had some 5000s. Ashland yard is virtually empty, a six car train of work motors and a quad of 2400s was all that was on site. The Sunday charter stopped at Clark & Division giving participants a last look at the station.

DH

• Upvote 3

David -

Thanks for the hospitality. Both my son and I had a really good time. It was only the second time my son had rode the CTA, and he really enjoyed the trip.

Unfortunately I had to leave for home after the lunch break due to some impending bad weather out by Plainfield (a mention of tornado warnings and Plainfield sets up a panic in my wife). It was best to head home at that time.

But anyway, it was still a good time. I forgot how dark/dim the lighting is at Clark and Division when compared to the other stations.

Also, I've got to find a picture I took of the 61st yard. There were what I thought were a couple of single trucks (not road vehicles, but the two wheel trucks from underneath a car body) parked in the yard. They didn't look like trucks from off a car, but rather something that would actually be used for something. No idea what they were. Maybe you could identify if I post a picture later?

Thanks again,

Terry

David -

Thanks for the hospitality. Both my son and I had a really good time. It was only the second time my son had rode the CTA, and he really enjoyed the trip.

Unfortunately I had to leave for home after the lunch break due to some impending bad weather out by Plainfield (a mention of tornado warnings and Plainfield sets up a panic in my wife). It was best to head home at that time.

But anyway, it was still a good time. I forgot how dark/dim the lighting is at Clark and Division when compared to the other stations.

Also, I've got to find a picture I took of the 61st yard. There were what I thought were a couple of single trucks (not road vehicles, but the two wheel trucks from underneath a car body) parked in the yard. They didn't look like trucks from off a car, but rather something that would actually be used for something. No idea what they were. Maybe you could identify if I post a picture later?

Thanks again,

Terry

You are very welcome, glad you two had an enjoyable time. And glad you liked the unscheduled stop at Clark & Division.

And sure, post the picture and post any others you think viewers here might enjoy seeing.

Dave

David ... below are some photos from the charter. Sorry for some being blurry ... not my best efforts..

At the 61st yard ... no idea what these were/are used for ... maybe just extra parts? Just seems odd that they are painted rather vibrantly ...

8095567001_296e9817cb.jpg

8095572022_b196ed2c2d.jpg

Waiting for the charter at Library ... quite an overcast day to start ...

8095581127_6f1b6a698f.jpg

8095586632_77beb71c49.jpg

And at Clark and Division ...

8095587139_66d93d79f4.jpg

8095592412_864e177cdc.jpg

Thanks

Terry

David ... below are some photos from the charter. Sorry for some being blurry ... not my best efforts..

At the 61st yard ... no idea what these were/are used for ... maybe just extra parts? Just seems odd that they are painted rather vibrantly ...

8095567001_296e9817cb.jpg

8095572022_b196ed2c2d.jpg

Waiting for the charter at Library ... quite an overcast day to start ...

8095581127_6f1b6a698f.jpg

8095586632_77beb71c49.jpg

And at Clark and Division ...

8095587139_66d93d79f4.jpg

8095592412_864e177cdc.jpg

Thanks

Terry

My first thought would be that these might be "shop trucks." Most yards keep several sets of trucks around that are placed underneath equipment when that equipment's regular trucks come in for repair. 61st St. yard is actually a branch of the Skokie Shops and work equipment is the only items stored there, so these are probably for use with work equipment. They do seem to have motors. The horizontal bars might also support trolley beams for the third rail pickups. And the wheels seem larger than CTA revenue rolling stock trucks.

I like the Clark & Division photos as they clearly show the narrower tube dimensions. The subway tubes north of the River crossing were hand mined as opposed to the larger tubes south of the crossing that were mined out by drilling machines called "biscuit cutters."

DH

If you live in Chicago & you ride the CTA, you probably think that it's a mode of transportation to get from Kimball to 95th/Dan Ryan. Well, this past weekend i had the pleasure of being invited to the Muesum of Industry & Science Train Tours that gave an indepth look at one of the many wonders of Chicago, Rapid Transit or "The L". With the commentary of Transit Advocate & Historian David Harrison, i was taught the history of Rapid Transit in Chicago & the City it's self. I just wanted to extend my gratitude to Mr. Harrison & The Museum for putting on this tour that was informative & educational for everyone of all ages. If you catch the 2012 Holiday Train, you might just hear a familiar voice this season, so watch out.