Renewed Chicagocard - No balance transferred

Amtrak41

There was $2 left on the expiring card. I was issued a magnetic farecard for $2.25 (which will expire next July before I next visit Chicago). It seems to defeat the whole purpose of the card if they do not have the sophistication at the Clinton Street HQ to transfer balances.

I think you have to give more details.

At least the mag stripe cards would transfer balances if they were inserted in a transit card machine for more money shortly before they expired, in which case it would keep the old card but give you a new one, but not after they expired.

If you are talking about a real Chicago Card, i.e., one with a proximity chip, it should have reloaded itself.

As I understand it, balance transfers on a Chicago Card can only be done in person with both cards at CTA HQ. Unlike Chicago Card Plus, the regular Chicago Card is not account based so the balance can't be transferred remotely.

That's why he has to clarify more. I don't see why someone from out of town would have two Chicago Cards (proximity cards), and he mentioned "magnetic farecards."

It was a RFID blue Chicagocard within 45 days of expiration. I went to CTA HQ Monday morning to have it replaced by a Clerk at the Clinton Street HQ.

So I guess Kevin says that you have to go back.

Thanks for the clarification.

It was a RFID blue Chicagocard within 45 days of expiration. I went to CTA HQ Monday morning to have it replaced by a Clerk at the Clinton Street HQ.

Chicagocards will soon be going away in favor of Ventra cards. Thus it makes sense not to renew the Chicagocard for another 4 years. You were issued a magnetic card with an equivalent balance. When you next come to Chicago, you may be interested in getting a Ventra card which will work on CTA and Pace.

Chicagocards will soon be going away in favor of Ventra cards. Thus it makes sense not to renew the Chicagocard for another 4 years. You were issued a magnetic card with an equivalent balance. When you next come to Chicago, you may be interested in getting a Ventra card which will work on CTA and Pace.

Well, next year is complicated.

First I determine if a 3 day pass is worth it from say 10am on a Saturday to 1pm on a Monday (Amtrak 29 or 49 to Amtrak 5 or 7). Maybe so if Group-on can be had for $9.

Then layover from Train 6 or 8 to 30 or 48 2 days later on the way back.

So I have this $2.25 Magnetic farecard, useful if I take PACE, but that would leave 25c left on it if I take the 226 or 250 out to Des Plaines Hobbies and back. I can keep refilling it, though they can go bad, so I'd rather use an RFID card.

I am skeptical on how the Ventra card would work if I flip back and forth between 1 or 3 day passes at the stroke of 24 or 72 hours and revert to pay-per ride.

Either way, I have to hit the CTA machine in the Metra lobby in Union Station when I get there and bring exact change for the amount I pre-determine I want. But that has to be for the Chicagocard. The magnetic farecard will have expired, and I don't think I can transfer its balance unless I visit CTA HQ, which is not open on Saturdays.