Guns Allowed On CTA

sw4400

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should passengers be allowed to carry firearms on CTA Buses and Trains?

• Yes
    • No

I think outside of your private dwelling, there should be no firearms allowed. ...

I guess you will have to weigh on Lisa to appeal that point to the Supreme Court, as it was the crux of the Seventh Circuit decision that one has the right to defend oneself on the street. As the dissent to the denial of rehearing pointed out, the Supreme Court had not yet gone that far.

Here's an example of why carrying outside your private dwelling shouldn't be allowed... can you imagine the delays on the CTA system(both buses and rail) if CPD got a call of someone carrying a firearm? Half of these jerks refuse to give names or I.D's to police holding up trains, buses, and police. I encourage those interested in an example of carrying a firearm in public to watch this(it is 16 minutes, but I would recommend watching it) Mr. Firearm carrying and refusing to give information

Here's an example of why carrying outside your private dwelling shouldn't be allowed... can you imagine the delays on the CTA system(both buses and rail) if CPD got a call of someone carrying a firearm?

I'm sure service wasn't quickly restored once they dragged Blair Holt's body off the bus.

As I indicated earlier, the only deterrent seems to be that thugs might have received the message that if they pull something on a bus, their face will be picked up on the bus cameras and broadcast throughout the area. Apparently (according to the Sun-Times) robbers on the L platforms haven't figured that out yet.

I think outside of your private dwelling, there should be no firearms allowed. Only Police and Military should have the right to carry. Hunters can in designated areas with Hunting Permits. I wouldn't want anyone with a gun, concealed or not, in a place of business. We handle money, these are desperate times... 2+2, people!!! All it takes is some down on his/her luck person to come in with their open/concealed firearm looking to get ahead a bit, take out that gun and demand money.

Twice this year, I had punk gang members come into my computer shop, point a gun at me, threaten to kill me, grab a computer and run. Fortunately, I was prepared for this: I'd noticed Waukegan, especially downtown, had an upswing in crime. So, took an older PC tower case, painted it up to look fancy, and put all defective hardware inside, with all serial numbers recorded and parts photographed. Put this decoy close to the door. First time, the punks grabbed the decoy and ran. I closed shop about 10 minutes after they were gone, as I did not want to be around when they found they grabbed a dud.

Second time, I thought ahead, and had three decoys near the door. Great way to get rid of junk! This time, they were slghtly further away, and appeared to be connected to a monitor that showed the PC on. In realiity, I routed the cable from the back behind a table, so that it appeared to lead to the working monitor. In reality, it was a dummy cable, and the monitor that as on showing somethng on screen, was connected to a small computer under my desk. Had a button that would cut AC power to that computer, mounted under my desk, so I could cut the input when they grabbed the tower. Made it easy, and didn't secure the connections to the back of them. They fell for it again!

If these punks carry guns, and commit armed robbery (Police still have not found them, or the duds, and I don't care about the duds anyway), I should be able to defend myself. I do not own a gun, nor do I intend to obtain one even if regulations or laws relax, but knowing I could if need be, would be good, and these punks might think twice, as they would probably know they could be fired at too.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

This doesn't pertain to CTA, so it's OT, but I wanted to bring it up since someday it might be brought up about Public Transit too.

An NRA task force is pushing to arm teachers and school staff with firearms. Would you really want your children in a school where guns are present? Yes, I know the whole gangs and guns crap, but we're talking teachers, principals, aides, etc..., with firearms. I've seen teachers get irritated enough with some students that they push them into a wall, throw books off their desk, etc... add a firearm at a teacher with a bad day. Do the math... Sandy Hook all over again. Concealed carry should NOT be allowed. Open carry should NOT be allowed. You want a gun that badly? Buy one, keep it for home security or take it to practice ranges ONLY! The only guns allowed outside should be hunting rifles, and only in areas designated for it. Only people that should be carrying guns openly are Police Officers, Private Armed Security Guards(e.g, Bank Guards, Armored Car Guards), Military Personnell on duty, Secret Service.

Story

This doesn't pertain to CTA, so it's OT, but I wanted to bring it up since someday it might be brought up about Public Transit too.

An NRA task force is pushing to arm teachers and school staff with firearms. Would you really want your children in a school where guns are present? Yes, I know the whole gangs and guns crap, but we're talking teachers, principals, aides, etc..., with firearms. I've seen teachers get irritated enough with some students that they push them into a wall, throw books off their desk, etc... add a firearm at a teacher with a bad day. Do the math... Sandy Hook all over again. Concealed carry should NOT be allowed. Open carry should NOT be allowed. You want a gun that badly? Buy one, keep it for home security or take it to practice ranges ONLY! The only guns allowed outside should be hunting rifles, and only in areas designated for it. Only people that should be carrying guns openly are Police Officers, Private Armed Security Guards(e.g, Bank Guards, Armored Car Guards), Military Personnell on duty, Secret Service.

Story

The answer to that would be a huge HELL no.

The answer to that would be a huge HELL no.

As I indicated above, since the Seventh Circuit has stated its final word on the subject, the only legally relevant matter is whether the state appeals it to the Supreme Court and the Supreme Court rules something else. Otherwise, the state legislature will have to pass something new coming within the guidelines suggested by the court, or there will be no restriction.

As I indicated above, since the Seventh Circuit has stated its final word on the subject, the only legally relevant matter is whether the state appeals it to the Supreme Court and the Supreme Court rules something else. Otherwise, the state legislature will have to pass something new coming within the guidelines suggested by the court, or there will be no restriction.

That much we know, but he posed a specific question that didn't get into the Seven Circuit ruling. Now if we wish to delve into that then the question becomes how much the Illinois voting population can twist the arms of the members of the state legislature who have many times in the very recent past shown themselves to be inept as a whole and make a large enough shout in their ear that says hey we want something common sense that will come within the Seventh Circuit's guidelines. Or alternatively we want Lisa Madigan to try to appeal to the Supreme Court and try to make a legal argument that convinces the Justices that Seventh Circuit's ruling was wrong for Illinois.

....Or alternatively we want Lisa Madigan to try to appeal to the Supreme Court and try to make a legal argument that convinces the Justices that Seventh Circuit's ruling was wrong for Illinois.

The Supreme Court doesn't work that way. The only legal issue is whether the two preceding cases, including the one that shot down Chicago's gun law as holding that the Second Amendment applies to the states, building on the D.C. one that somehow the historic basis of the Second Amendment is defending one's home, extends to concealed carry on the streets. The answer to that one isn't obvious.

Other than that, the legislature would have to pass something, and then someone would sue to determine if that is constitutional. But as far as any tailoring to Illinois, that would be up to the legislature.

The Supreme Court doesn't work that way. The only legal issue is whether the two preceding cases, including the one that shot down Chicago's gun law as holding that the Second Amendment applies to the states, building on the D.C. one that somehow the historic basis of the Second Amendment is defending one's home, extends to concealed carry on the streets. The answer to that one isn't obvious.

Other than that, the legislature would have to pass something, and then someone would sue to determine if that is constitutional. But as far as any tailoring to Illinois, that would be up to the legislature.

I know the Supreme Court is a federal court sir so 'wrong for Illinois' admittedly was a poor choice of words. I was speaking along the lines of making some form of legal argument that the State should be able to craft some form of commonsense protections that aren't influenced greatly by legislators in the pocket of the more extreme figures of the gun lobby. And one example of those protections would include the option say no to this rampant push they're making for concealed carry on the streets and in public places across the states if the populace so elects a majority of legislators holding that position.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some more proof that your firearm should be left at home, not with you when you go places. Concealed carry, Open carry... how about carry it to a secure location in your house and leave it there??? Thankfully nobody was hurt, but if something like this happened in an enclosed, packed environment like a CTA bus or train, imagine the injuries and possible fatalities...

Story