Recent call to CTA driver test?

witeboy07

Hello everyone here, im new here and im just here to ask some questions. I am currently employed at a great job. Good pay, excellent benefits, but in a union, at the beginning of your journey on the seriority list, layoffs appear. I was laid off back in jan 2013 and at that time I applied for a PTO job. Im back at work and Im at top scale, recently i received a call from cta HQ, if i was interested still in the job post. I want to know, if its really worth it working for the cta and plus Its a part time, no way will I ever make as much as I do if I accept that. Let me know guys, my current salary comes out ranging between $56k to 120k...every year. If i move to cta and become a PTO will I lose? I also get full cover and paid by company Insurance and dental!

Yes! If I were to go to this test, What would be my chance of becoming full time?

I was asked to take the test this tuesday. But im not going..I feel comfy were I have already built my seniority...

Coming from a part time bus operator I would say you made a good choice staying where you are and making the money you're making because now the starting pay is like 15 an hr for the part timers coming in now. You're in a position at your current job where as if you were to come over now you would be making less than 45,000 a yr starting out and according to you you're already making twice as much which is great! But hey if working for the cta is something you've always wanted to do then I would say heck go for it cause there's no greater feeling than doing something you've always wanted to do trust me on that.

Coming from a part time bus operator I would say you made a good choice staying where you are and making the money you're making because now the starting pay is like 15 an hr for the part timers coming in now. You're in a position at your current job where as if you were to come over now you would be making less than 45,000 a yr starting out and according to you you're already making twice as much which is great! But hey if working for the cta is something you've always wanted to do then I would say heck go for it cause there's no greater feeling than doing something you've always wanted to do trust me on that.

If your numbers are correct, and trainman is correct that PTOs are limited to 30 hours, that would come out only to $23,000, unless overtime could almost double it.

$15 * 30 * 52=$23,400.

Damn, thanks for that info guys. I knew it was to good to be true. The only reason I had applied for that job was due to long layoff's which are normal here at my job for 1years or less. I currently just hit my 18 month union, so IM at top pay now. I never thought at working for the CTA as a main goal. But its a job and some of us are lucky to get jobs like this. But many thanks for your input guys. I make Oreo Cookies by the way.. ;)

Yeah, alot of people can't take the split shifts. They've already had people quit from this latest hire. But like MrCTA85 says if it is something you always wanted to do, then it shouldn't matter. That's the life, working the job you always wanted to do. :)