A 2200 Fan Trip Open to the Public

DouglasRyan

Just saw that there is an open to the public fantrip for the 2200s. Judging by the site it looks to be a different kind of charter that the railway museum is sponsoring. With the picture on the page, I sure hope to see those cuties on the trip!? :) With these cars dwindling I think I might take advantage of this. Doesn't seem to be a usual IRM charter neither. Check it out at http://www.irm.org/events/ctacharter.html

First time poster but long time reader.

Doug

55 a person is not bad though. Its for a worthy cause. Think I read somewhere that there was a group that charged 100 a person.
Unlike fares, fare cards, transfers, Ventra media where there is all the publicity, the Chicago Transit Authority has no one to answer to in setting fees for charters.....the 2013 charter rate went up 79 percent from 2012.

They've had fantrips like this before, nothing really new. When you say "open to the public", you make it sound like it's free, which it's not... it's $55/person.

Um open to the public doesn't mean free. It just means regular everyday people are allowed to participate, but those who do just have to be willing or able to afford any relevant fee that might be charged for the event. There are special interest events that require you to be a member of a group or organization that are set up for specifically around those special events and those persons still have to pay an entrance fee to the event if they want to attend. Trade organizations for example. Members of the general public don't usually get to participate in some if the events they have for their members. You specifically have to be a member of the trade organizations or otherwise a professional in that trade to participate. And those events aren't necessarily free of any fees for the trade members to participate.

55 a person is not bad though. Its for a worthy cause. Think I read somewhere that there was a group that charged 100 a person.

How many fantrips now have been coordinated to secure a pair of #2200's for IRM? I can count at least 3 or 4. Probably the reason it's open to the public is their trying to secure more funding for the pair and they figure this is their final attempt at that. The #2200's will be retired by the summer.

I think IRM has done 4 snowflakes since 2008. I may be wrong. The private ones I saw appeared to have been small groups. Maybe just a group of friends or something which I'm sure could not have raised too much money. You are probably correct though in saying this is their last attempt. I'm sure trucking alone will be expensive. Just more the reason to support them in my opinion.