Where is the Destination ?

trainman8119

Over the past month or so, when I get off the Kennedy about 4:20 am, there is a Madison bus headed east the never has a destination sign lit. The only thing that is lit is the run box, which Monday I noted that it was run 050 out of Chicago. During this time, only once has there been a lit destination. It doesn't matter what bus it is. I have seen Novas, 1400s, 1800s, 1900s, 2000s and today a 1000. So it is not that a single bus has a problem. Can't see the side sign, but the front is dark as well as the rear route number sign.

Over the past month or so, when I get off the Kennedy about 4:20 am, there is a Madison bus headed east the never has a destination sign lit. The only thing that is lit is the run box, which Monday I noted that it was run 050 out of Chicago. During this time, only once has there been a lit destination. It doesn't matter what bus it is. I have seen Novas, 1400s, 1800s, 1900s, 2000s and today a 1000. So it is not that a single bus has a problem. Can't see the side sign, but the front is dark as well as the rear route number sign.

My guess is that the daytime running lights are on, which would mean that the destination sign would be poorly lit. It would be less bright during the day than if all of the lights (taillights and markers) were on. The destination sign would be brighter and well lit. Next time check and see if the rear lights (tail and markers) are on. If not, then the daytime running lights are on. Because the headlights are always on (when daytime running lights are on), a lot of drivers assume that ALL of their lights are on and that is not true. It seems that a specific driver is guilty of this. The one time that you actually saw a lit destination sign was either a sub driver or someone gave that driver the bus with the lights in the proper position.

My guess is that the daytime running lights are on, which would mean that the destination sign would be poorly lit. ....

I don't think it is that. Due to the consistency (and also the rear route number box being out), the gps probably has the sign off, but isn't displaying out of service.

Note also that trainman said 4 a.m., and it sure isn't daylight yet. Also, if it was 5050,it would be the last run of the night, according to the garage page. That page also indicates that it could be setting up for route 120 or 121.

I don't think it is that. Due to the consistency (and also the rear route number box being out), the gps probably has the sign off, but isn't displaying out of service.

Note also that trainman said 4 a.m., and it sure isn't daylight yet. Also, if it was 5050,it would be the last run of the night, according to the garage page. That page also indicates that it could be setting up for route 120 or 121.

If we're talking about 4 a.m., then the setting up for 120 or 121 part would be unlikely since service on those routes starts between 6:40 and 6:45 a.m.