Schaumburg trolley

Busjack

Pace has a solicitation for the trolley operator. Notable:

• It says that the requirement is 3 buses and one spare, or 4 buses and one spare during holiday season. But Pace has 7 trolley replicas on order.
  • The proposal provides for Chance trolleys (2000), El Dorado National buses (2006-2010) or El Dorado trolley replicas (2017). Replicas are assumed to have the same specifications as the buses. 2696 and 2766 are listed, and each has over 200,000 miles (283,000 is surprising for 2696).
  • In what seems to be a departure from other contract operations, Pace is responsible for maintenance; the contractor is only responsible for daily pretrip inspection, checking fluids, and cleaning.

Contract starts Aug. 21, 2017.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2017 at 11:15 AM, Busjack said:

Board Meeting agenda has an extension of the 905 contract for four months. I guess they didn't get the solicitation out in time.

Board Meeting video at about 22:00: Melinda Metzger said that this was to sync up the new contractor with the new buses, so it looks like the new buses are 4 months away. Maybe Aug 21 we can hop on.

• 3 months later...
16 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Hmm that actually looks pretty good. So they are getting 7 of these? First #8000's since the Orions.

14 hours ago, Pace831 said:

It looks nice. But how did they come up with #8630? I guess this is the first in the new number series

On 8600s, there were 20 Gillig Phantoms at North, and there was a Joliet trolley. Maybe they are counting after the latter, even though Pace didn't acquire it when it took over JMTD.

Other than my guess of 17500, I'm giving up on Pace numbering.

Looking at the Schaumburg Facebook pictures, there is a lot of wood on the inside, but the seats are usual Aries seats, but with beige inserts.

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

Another surprise: The one in a Daily Herald video is 8625.

According to CPTDB, same number as the old Joliet trolley. Now if there are supposed to be 7 Schaumburg trolleys, the series would start with 8624 or 8625. Unusual considering the Gilligs ended with 8619. For that matter, why was 8625 chosen for the Joliet trolley?

I think I have the explanation. The people at Pace HQ must read this forum and they just think it's hilarious to see how we react to their surprises.

17 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

According to CPTDB, same number as the old Joliet trolley.

I remember having read it but couldn't find it on Chicago Transit and Railfan.

I once saw the Joliet trolley, but that must have been in the late 20oughts.

Another oddity is that the trolley listed in the disposition list is listed as 1944. Were 1-7 arbitrarily assigned between the Chance RT-52 1920-1937 and the renumbered Downers' Grove 1951s? Or is the explanation:

23 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

The people at Pace HQ must read this forum and they just think it's hilarious to see how we react to their surprises.

44 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

For that matter, why was 8625 chosen for the Joliet trolley?

CPTDB did have an explanation for this, as it has under paratransit:

8620-8624 /5/1987/OBIOrion II 02.501

From comments on this board, apparently used in Melrose Park when it had a local service (441) similar to the Niles Free Bus.  CPTDB also has 8626-8634 as Ford Vans. Various paratransits (8410-8599) also seem to have filled the gap between the Grummans and Gilligs.

Based on @Pace831's photos of trolleys in the junkyard, I figured time to check out what was running. Yes, the new trolleys are running, and I rode 8624, which means the numbers are 8624-8630. I also saw 8625 and 8628 in service, and 8627 parked on Kimberly  (I guess going out of service).

The biggest bummer: the beige inserts are PLASTIC and uncomfortable. The driver hit the brakes hard and I had to brace myself. But didn't @BusHunter have a similar complaint about the CTA 8200s?

There was no evidence of a Transitmaster, and while there was an ADA display hanging from the ceiling, it was not in use.

There was a trolley bell clang.

56 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Based on @Pace831's photos of trolleys in the junkyard, I figured time to check out what was running. Yes, the new trolleys are running, and I rode 8624, which means the numbers are 8624-8630. I also saw 8625 and 8628 in service, and 8627 parked on Kimberly  (I guess going out of service).

The biggest bummer: the beige inserts are PLASTIC and uncomfortable. The driver hit the brakes hard and I had to brace myself. But didn't @BusHunter have a similar complaint about the CTA 8200s?

There was no evidence of a Transitmaster, and while there was an ADA display hanging from the ceiling, it was not in use.

There was a trolley bell clang.

That's unfortunate that they have those slick seats. There will be a day when a rider ends up on their rump. It's only a matter of time. Same for the CTA, but those #8200's have some sensitive brakes. I can see someone falling from a standing position especially if they are on their cell phone and not paying attention. At least they didn't put those on the "L" or you would have had droves of people in the aisles!! xD

26 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

That's unfortunate that they have those slick seats. There will be a day when a rider ends up on their rump. It's only a matter of time. Same for the CTA, but those #8200's have some sensitive brakes. I can see someone falling from a standing position especially if they are on their cell phone and not paying attention. At least they didn't put those on the "L" or you would have had droves of people in the aisles!! xD

Ony difference was there were nice brass stanchions and rails to grab.

There was a pattern embossed in the plastic, but not  enough to grab a butt

57 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Ony difference was there were nice brass stanchions and rails to grab.

There was a pattern embossed in the plastic, but not  enough to grab a butt

They must be more comfortable than the wooden seats on the old trolleys, which would make you slide sideways every time the bus turned. That always reminded me of riding the school bus in first grade.

2 hours ago, Pace831 said:

They must be more comfortable than the wooden seats on the old trolleys, which would make you slide sideways every time the bus turned. That always reminded me of riding the school bus in first grade.

Seemed like there were more longitudinal single seats than in the usual 2600. On each side, 1 on either side of the flip up seat, and one behind the rear wheel well..

51 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Seemed like there were more longitudinal single seats than in the usual 2600. On each side, 1 on either side of the flip up seat, and one behind the rear wheel well..

Looking again at the Facebook photo you linked above, I think I see what you mean. The "high floor" part has the same arrangement as a 2600, but it sounds like you are saying the front has a total of 6 longitudinal seats on each side.

8 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Looking again at the Facebook photo you linked above, I think I see what you mean. The "high floor" part has the same arrangement as a 2600, but it sounds like you are saying the front has a total of 6 longitudinal seats on each side.

If the flip up* is 3, 5. No cross seats.Essentially what is not conveyed in the photo is that the woman in the striped skirt and the man with the blue shirt and tie are sitting on the flip seat, and there is another seat between them and the step. If you look at the advertising rack, there is a narrow blue sign, and that says please reserve the seat for the elderly and handicapped. The wider blue sign is that that area is for wheelchair passengers.

*On this bus, the left seat was up and the right was down, but I wasn't counting seats.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

If the flip up* is 3, 5. No cross seats.Essentially what is not conveyed in the photo is that the woman in the striped skirt and the man with the blue shirt and tie are sitting on the flip seat, and there is another seat between them and the step. If you look at the advertising rack, there is a narrow blue sign, and that says please reserve the seat for the elderly and handicapped. The wider blue sign is that that area is for wheelchair passengers.

*On this bus, the left seat was up and the right was down, but I wasn't counting seats.

I looked at the photo again, and you can barely see the corner of the storage box over the front left side wheel well. There is apparently one seat between there and where the man is sitting, and the flip up is 3 seats. In total there are 25 seats which is 2 less than a 2600.

10 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

I looked at the photo again, and you can barely see the corner of the storage box over the front left side wheel well. There is apparently one seat between there and where the man is sitting, and the flip up is 3 seats. In total there are 25 seats which is 2 less than a 2600.

I"m still trying to work out the math. The usual 30 foot seating diagram* has 15 seats on the deck, so you are correct

It is a big hulking storage box, and the driver was in it twice during the layover. The other side was the usual wheel well with a garbage can on top of it, but with the fancy brass railing.

*Ignore the seats over the wheel wells.Possible, but never used by Pace.

• 3 weeks later...