Last Days Englewood-JPK-Howard 1993 (VIDEO)

chicagopcclcar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Ripwki0IY&feature=youtu.be

It was 1993, a VHS video, the last days for the CTA North- South route, the Englewood, Jackson Park, Howard. The CTA was about to make a major swap....pairing the Dan Ryan with the Howard and pairing the Engelwood and the Jackson Park with the Lake Street line. The last weeks featured temporary rollsigns hung at the front door chains. All rollsign windows were blank. I promised this video for Busjack who said the rollsigns were not real. Both routes have the chain rollsigns. "A" and "B" on one side.....All Stops on the other side. Others will enjoy the equipment of the 1993s.

X89mgwT.jpg

I wonder what's the point of having a CTA sign board on an MTA train? Lol

Certainly not real. By the time such a sign (Helvetica with lower case) would have been used, that reading would have been on all roll signs. The only hanger I remember is for a train going to the 61st St. yard instead of all the way to Jackson Park.

• Upvote 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Ripwki0IY&feature=youtu.be

It was 1993, a VHS video, the last days for the CTA North- South route, the Englewood, Jackson Park, Howard. The CTA was about to make a major swap....pairing the Dan Ryan with the Howard and pairing the Engelwood and the Jackson Park with the Lake Street line. The last weeks featured temporary rollsigns hung at the front door chains. All rollsign windows were blank. I promised this video for Busjack who said the rollsigns were not real. Both routes have the chain rollsigns. "A" and "B" on one side.....All Stops on the other side. Others will enjoy the equipment of the 1993s.

X89mgwT.jpg

Life before the current Red and Green lines was pretty cool, from what I've seen in the video. Sadly, I wasn't born yet, and the closest CTA got within this again was with Red Line South reconstruction last year.

On that last Saturday I rode both the Englewood Howard train and the Lake Dan Ryan train before the switch.

IIRC, the first Sunday morning with the new pairing didn't go to well. A Jackson Pk/Lake train derailed while switching tracks near 16th and almost at the same time a SB Howard Dan Ryan train was rear ended by another train in the new section of the tunnel connecting the State St subway to the Dan Ryan branch at 18th.

On that last Saturday I rode both the Englewood Howard train and the Lake Dan Ryan train before the switch.

IIRC, the first Sunday morning with the new pairing didn't go to well. A Jackson Pk/Lake train derailed while switching tracks near 16th and almost at the same time a SB Howard Dan Ryan train was rear ended by another train in the new section of the tunnel connecting the State St subway to the Dan Ryan branch at 18th.

I remember the day of the switch. I was on the fourth train behind that Red Line train that was rear ended. I remember sitting in the railfan seat of car #3038 right at the new entrance into the subway for two hours before we were allowed to move.

I no longer have one of the "HoDar-L.E. Jack" brochures that CTA was passing out 22 years ago in summer of 1992 to prep riders for the swap, but one thing I do remember them saying in those brochures among the reasons given for doing the big swap was that with the new Midway Line (color names weren't yet implemented and I still remember CTA saying on the maps that the colors were for clarity and not to signify line names :) ) also coming the same year of the swap, the elevated tracks downtown would be overrun because they supposedly weren't designed for the number of trains the new line to Midway would add to what were already serving the rail lines on the Loop Elevated under the old rail route configurations. This was in addition to the stated reasons that the Dan Ryan ridership had grown to greatly outnumber what was on the Lake Street portion, and the same had become the case on the Howard stretch compared to that on the Englewood/Jackson Park stretch making it more sensible to put the two heavier rail branches together as one route and the two light ones together.

• Upvote 6

To extend upon what I mentioned about color names yet instituted, in those last days of there being a Lake-Dan Ryan rail route and Howard-Englewood/Jackson Park (this is actually the order in which CTA put the official name of the Howard route in those days despite trains displaying 'Englewood-Howard' or 'Jackson Park-Howard') the system maps showed the Skokie Swift line, what is today the Yellow Line, with an orange color instead of yellow due to the Midway line not yet existing. Once the Midway L opened in October of 1993, eight months after the south end swaps that are the central topic of this thread, system maps began showing Skokie Swift with yellow since the new Midway line was shown with the orange color.

• 6 months later...

From what I can rememberL

Englewood Jasckson Park Howard

Ashland/63 - A station

Racine - A Station

Halsted =A

Harvard - A

Wentworth -A

Stony Island - B

University - B

Cottage Grove -B

King Drive - B

61st - B

58th - A

Garfield - B (Until 1981 when Jackson Pk branch closed due to bridge over IC having cracks. Became AB)

51st -AB

47th - AB

43rd -AB

Indiana -A

35th- AB

Cermak - B ()closed in 1973

Roosevelt = AB

Harrison - AB (I believe in early 80s became a B only station)

Jackson,MonroelWashington.Grand,Chicago, Clark - AB stations

North/Clybourn - B station ( I believe when Harrison converted to B. this station converted to A)

Fulleton, Belmont - AB

Addison - B () A trains stopped at Addison on days Cubs played at home)

Sheridan - A

Wilson = AB

Lawrence = B

Argyle - A

Berwyn - B

Bryn Mawr - AB

Thorndale - A

Granville - B

Loyola, Morse - AB

Jarvis - A

Howard AB

All stations from Roosevelt south became all stops when Green Line created. All stops north of Roosevelt kept their A or B or AB status during rush periods for a short period of time.

From what I remember: Lake Dan Ryan

95th, 87th, 79th, 69th = AB stations

63rd - A

Garfield -B

47th- A

35th = AB

Cermak-Chinatown - B

Adams/Wabash, Madison/Wabash,Randolph/Wabash, STate/Lake. Clark/Lake. Clinton =AB

Halsted - B

Ashland -A

California - B

Kedzie - A

Homan, Pulaski,Cicero, Laramie, Central, Austin, Ridgeland, Oak Park, Harlem - AB

All stations became all stop when west end of route linked with Englewood Jackson Park and south end of route linked up with Howard.