"Metra CEO can't rule out possibility of increasing fares"

Amtrak41

When are the fools that run public transit going to realize that you raise fares once a year a small amount, so you don't have to terrify the riders with that once every 3 year large increase?

A 10¢ - 15¢ raise for each one way fare & a corresponding raise for the monthly tickets won't be great, but it's a lot better than hitting people with a 75¢ raise for a one way ride every 3-4 years.

Then bring back the bonus on 10 ride tickets.

In Chicagoland, do they time various fare hikes to not occur on election year ?

Some proportion of METRA riders are Chicago city residents. Rahmy's primary and election is 2015. Quinn could well be tossed this year.

Sort of ironic.

Other than Rahm saying he cleaned up Metra by putting Oberman on the board, he has nothing to do with it.

The only Rahm promise that was on the table was that CTA fares would not rise, but then he said that was only the $2.25 cash fare, as every other fare was hiked during his term (like passes,Ventra surcharges,etc.).

I said this is no news because other than the one year when Metra didn't raise fares, and then had a double shot the next year (and elimination of 10 rides for 9), Metra always says this. And then fares go up $0.25 per ride.

I might have mentioned this before, but my fare is $7.25 when I ride Metra during the school year. I usually give the conductors $8, so I get 75 cents back. However if I can quickly find a quarter, I just give them exact fare. I know one conductor thanked me for the exact fare. Assuming my fare goes up by 25 cents, I'm going to be giving them $8 most of the time. It's kind of a shame, because I've met some nice conductors during my first semester.

I might have mentioned this before, but my fare is $7.25 when I ride Metra during the school year. I usually give the conductors $8, so I get 75 cents back. However if I can quickly find a quarter, I just give them exact fare. I know one conductor thanked me for the exact fare. Assuming my fare goes up by 25 cents, I'm going to be giving them $8 most of the time. It's kind of a shame, because I've met some nice conductors during my first semester.

From those numbers, I assume you are in Zone I, which would be Zion, Grayslake, Crystal Lake, Elburn, or Manhattan (no I on the other lines), or otherwise riding 45 miles a trip. I also assume that you aren't paying the $3 surcharge for when an agent is available.

More than likely, it would only go up to $7.50, but anyway, are your school trips so infrequent that a monthly wouldn't pay?

The other point made by the Auditor General was that by keeping the steps between each zone equal (50 cents a zone C or beyond) those past zone E were proportionately underpaying.

From those numbers, I assume you are in Zone I, which would be Zion, Grayslake, Chrystal Lake, Elburn, or Manhattan (no I on the other lines), or otherwise riding 45 miles a trip. I also assume that you aren't paying the $3 surcharge for when an agent is available.

More than likely, it would only go up to $7.50, but anyway, are your school trips so infrequent that a monthly wouldn't pay?

Correct. I board at Crystal Lake, and the ticket booth closes at 12:55 PM (my train is at 3 PM). Last semester, I rode every Wednesday.

I've only looked at a 10 ride ticket though, and my schedule this semester may be different to a point where I might not ride much at all.

Correct. I board at Crystal Lake, and the ticket booth closes at 12:55 PM (my train is at 3 PM). Last semester, I rode every Wednesday.

I've only looked at a 10 ride ticket though, and my schedule this semester may be different to a point where I might not ride much at all.

As Metra learned pretty quick, and O'Halloran said he was going to change but was forced out before doing so, eliminating the 1 free ride on the 10 ride ticket made the tickets pretty much worthless, from a marketing standpoint. Your money is better off in your pocket.

• Upvote 1