why does metra not use rear cars on milwaukee north during off peak?

west towns

Metra north doesn't use the rear cars off peak making for a long walk for commuters at union. Why is this different than say the up service?

I assume you mean the front cars going inbound?

Because that's really annoying, when you get off at Union & have to walk an extra 190 feet for no reason.

There's a possibility that the CN, doesn't want people in those cars in case of a collision, but that's the only reason I can come up with.

But if I remember correctly, when I rode a Rock Island train inbound from Joliet, they also didn't use the front cars & had an extra long walk at what is laughingly referred to as LaSalle St. Station now. I remember the old station with its direct entrance to the L station.

Now I personally, won't ride in the front section of the lead car on the UP lines or any other line, not due to the fear of a collision, but I can't stand the sound of the bell's actuator.

When you're outside the train, the bell is a clear bell sound, but inside the lead section, all you hear is the loud thunk of the linkage to the clapper being actuated by the engineer.

Yup meant inbound in the cab cars. Why is it ok for up and bnsf but not metra? Are those trying safer than metra? The inconsistent policy might be an ambulance chasers dream to litigate

I guess you aren't being clear in that you are apparently referring to the Milwaukee District North Line (or maybe you did in the title).

There is also an issue of conductor coverage, in that there isn't enough passenger demand mid day to staff all 5 or 6 cars of a normal consist.

But strictures essentially said the reason. Also, there is usually a 7200 series car coupled to the locomotive, which usually isn't used off peak, because the locomotive smells it up.

But obviously, the ambulance chasers would prefer some freight train banging into a loaded cab car, rather than protecting the passengers by loading them in the middle three.

Any distinction on the UP was because that before the 6000s were received, the only accessible cars were the 8400s cab cars.

• Upvote 1

Metra north doesnt use the rear cars off peak making for a long walk for commuters at union. Why is this different than say the up service?

Pure and simple. Cars are open on a as needed basis. You would not need to open 7 cars, or even 5 (for example) on most midday trips. The designated ADA car on Milwaukee District trains is the 3rd car from the engine on trains of 7 cars or less and 4th car from the engine on consists of 8 and 9 cars. The ADA car must be open, so therefore, that car is the first open and then you go forward or back based on need. On the UP for example, even though 90% of the cars used there are now ADA accessible, the designated car is the cab car, as that was the only cars they had that were accessible when the rule was put into effect 15 or so years ago. This has nothing to do with safety or legal issues (other than ADA requirements).

• Upvote 4

.... the designated car is the cab car, as that was the only cars they had that were accessible when the rule was put into effect 15 or so years ago. This has nothing to do with safety or legal issues (other than ADA requirements).

Although my brain had gone on hold for a minute, what you say reminds me that the designated car has to be the one opposite the wheelchair sign on the platform, so history still wins out to that extent.

But what do they do if a wheelchair passenger is already taking up the securement position, or is it unlikely that the designated car would have the maximum amount of wheelchair passengers and thus the conductor would then have to open the lift on, say, the 8500 series cab car?

So if all were talking about is designated boarding locations why not try to standardize this thru system it seems signage relocations are all that is needed assuming they are accessible on platform etc. And what if their are more chairs than the designated car can handle they need to go to other cars. It just seems the policies are being used based on historic practices than on what is most important to the passenger. Why do passengers need to think gee im going on up today and their policy is ...... tjen transfering to milwaukee and their policy is ......... sounds like metra is running not for the passenger but for their convenience as we've always done it that way

• 2 weeks later...

Strange as it seems, can't think of one time in my 13 years where there were too many wheelchairs for a specific ADA car. By keeping it standard, when all cars are not open, there is still someplace where

someone in a wheelchair can position themselves without being too far away from the designated

door. In the unlikely case where that would happen, of course, you use another car.

Now if you're talking bikes.....