CTA Bag Screenings

sw4400

Bag screenings  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about bags being screened at 'L' stations?

• It's a great idea. I feel safer with this.
    • It's ok, but now I have to add additonal time to get where I'm going.
    • It's an awful idea. We're not an airport! I think I'll drive/take a cab from now on.

Chicago politics at its absolute worst!!!

All the more reason for Chicago as a whole to snap out of its collective sticking its head in the sand and stop just falling into this 'oh so and so is too politically powerful to be voted out' mode by simply accepting that it's a given that certain folks are going to be reelected, Yeah it may take some time but every politician has that moment when voters no longer think he's the best choice and vote accordingly.

All the more reason for Chicago as a whole to snap out of its collective sticking its head in the sand and stop just falling into this 'oh so and so is too politically powerful to be voted out' mode by simply accepting that it's a given that certain folks are going to be reelected, Yeah it may take some time but every politician has that moment when voters no longer think he's the best choice and vote accordingly.

It was a federal grant,* so the only Chicago mindset would be "let's not leave federal money on the table."

There may be other reasons, but at the moment Emanuel doesn't seem to have real opposition.

*e.g., last sentence in RedEye.

I know the "searching" (which is more of a check) is technically "legal," but what's not legal is them arresting you for riding the system after denying a search. Unless they have reasonable suspicion that you are a threat or a specific warrant for your arrest, that's unconstitutional. Personally I think it's a complete waste of time and resources, especially since they're only doing one station a day and anybody who has actual intent of causing harm is going to walk to a different station instead of complying with a search. I'm just glad I have multiple stations on either end of my commute in case I'm in a hurry.

I know the "searching" (which is more of a check) is technically "legal," but what's not legal is them arresting you for riding the system after denying a search. Unless they have reasonable suspicion that you are a threat or a specific warrant for your arrest, that's unconstitutional. Personally I think it's a complete waste of time and resources, especially since they're only doing one station a day and anybody who has actual intent of causing harm is going to walk to a different station instead of complying with a search. I'm just glad I have multiple stations on either end of my commute in case I'm in a hurry.

On your second point, it apparently is trespass, so the arrest would be legal. See, for instance, 720 ILCS 5/21-5, Criminal trespass to State supported land, which CTA uses.

Update: I also suggest looking at 730 ILCS 5/31-1. "A person who knowingly resists or obstructs the performance by one known to the person to be a peace officer, firefighter, or correctional institution employee of any authorized act within his or her official capacity commits a Class A misdemeanor."

Again, please don't play lawyer unless you use the tools.

On the rest, as a matter of policy I would agree with you.

• 3 weeks later...

My comment about this level of security at CTA train stations is: Can we have more security at CTA rail yards so that graffiti 'artists' do not have so much access to parked "L" trains? :unsure:

Now this I can agree with because if a person can get access enough to tag up a rail car then someone can access CTA's railyards for more nefarious reasons. This is another reason this exercise with the bag screenings is a waste in the way it's being implemented.