Scrapping

trainman8119

What determines when a bus is or should be scrapped???

I know insurance companies will total a car if the frame is bent...is that the case with buses ????? In some of the pics of buses about to be scrapped, they look like they could be saved with a little bit of body work (at least those that were burnt out). There is a pic of a Nova with then entire front being reassembled (the transit talk link that is currently unable to access). Same thing with that shelled out Pace bus from the same website.

I would think that it would be beneficial, especially newer equipment, if some of these buses could be saved (as in the case of the Metra engines 409 and 411 that flipped on the Rock Island and have been rebuilt).

One consideration is that the FTA sets a 12 year life for the bus, and the undepreciated part of the grant would have to be returned to the federal government or used for replacement capital. However, I don't know why some are not repaired, or appear to sit in the yard for the remainder of their 12 year life. For instance, pace2322 reported that 6173 will not be repaired, so will it just just sit there for 10 more years? Obviously, in their current states, 6047 and 6173 would have to be completely rebuilt. It is still probably the case that building one by hand is more expensive than at the factory. On the other hand, just about any high floor still on the Pace or CTA roster, except for the Nova Classics, has exceeded its useful life (unless extended by the rehab) and can be scrapped.

Other observations or questions:

• Does Pace have insurance or is it self insured? Is this a case that $600,000 of the taxpayers' money was blown on those two wrecks, alone?
  • Does this explain why some Pace 2000s are still on the street, although not listed on the Active Roster in the budget? Can't scrap an oldie because can't replace a wreck?
  • The Cannibalized thread might also shed some light on this.

Pace is self insured.And 6173 that was was very bad i need to know how to put the pic on here to show u guys.As for the 2000s its that pace need more bus then there thin there need so thats why there are running.And 2322 is oone buis to that wont be fix it had a fire on it and the frame got bend for the fire.2322 has been sitting at south since 2002 now.

i need to know how to put the pic on here to show u guys.
If you have the image file on your PC, first click New Reply at the bottom of the thread, then follow the instructions under Attachments at the bottom of that screen. I assume that you have to Browse (to fill the New Attachment box with the path of the image file), and then click Add Attachment for each. Add Attachment takes some time for the attachment to download. After composing the message, you can click Preview Post and the referene to the attachment should be near the bottom; however, the thumbnail apparently doesn't open until the message is posted.

Same thing with that shelled out Pace bus from the same website.
I drove by the S. Holland yard a couple of days ago, and that bus isn't coming back. The outside is just a burned hulk, and the left exterior is all deformed. The Pace decals and fleet numbers are all painted over.

By contrast, what's visible on 6173 from the park and ride lot looks pretty good. We're still waiting for the pictures of the front end, however.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...