127th Street (Or: Increased Service)

​Two issues there:

• It is only as a result of surveyors' errors that the through street east of Indiana/State is 130th instead of 127th.
  • West of Halsted, the area is covered by 348 and 359. A good chunk of 127th between Halsted and State is Calumet River swamps. Maybe there is something around 123rd, but it seems like CTA isn't interested in anything south or 119th.

Had to carry this from the "Artics or Increased Service" discussion.

I think I was alluding to utilizing Pace (or a coordinated effort between the two) on the 127th side (Crestwood - Hegewisch) since there is a potential for a market, but mainly when the line gets built. You have 348 on the south end and 359 that zig-zags its way through Pullman and Calumet, yes, but those serve almost two distinct markets. With no additional crosstown service between 2.5 miles, there lies a potential opportunity for one of the service boards to carry through service, scale back others (such as the 385), and connect the two Metra stations, the Red Line (once finished), and Hegewisch.

Again, this would be better suited once the Extension to 130th is complete; but for now there's no true reason to do so now.

I think I was alluding to utilizing Pace (or a coordinated effort between the two) on the 127th side (Crestwood - Hegewisch) since there is a potential for a market, but mainly when the line gets built. You have 348 on the south end and 359 that zig-zags its way through Pullman and Calumet, yes, but those serve almost two distinct markets. With no additional crosstown service between 2.5 miles, there lies a potential opportunity for one of the service boards to carry through service, scale back others (such as the 385), and connect the two Metra stations, the Red Line (once finished), and Hegewisch.

Again, this would be better suited once the Extension to 130th is complete; but for now there's no true reason to do so now.

​I agree that feeders to the very prospective 130th station is a topic for speculation. For instance, Pace might decide to route 348, 353, 355, and 358 into it. However, unless there is a huge industrial passenger generator in essentially the stretch between Halsted and the station, there doesn't seem to be the population density to support independent service. Maybe my proposed reroutes take care of your proposal.

I realize I'm now going into a different direction, but at one time CTA thought a 104X bus (on the expressway between Altgeld Gardens and 115th) was a good idea, but not for long. Similarly, there is no longer any South Deering service between 112th and the Ford Plant area.

Yes, it is a surveyor's error that caused the streets to be off. From what I read, the error was caused by not taking the angle of the sun correctly into the calculations.

That same error is all the N/S streets at North Ave., from Artesian west a block east of Harlem.

​One has to figure that when the Northwest Territories were laid out into townships and sections, they used links in a chain and notches in trees, not lasers or gps.Besides the one essentially along i-57, there is also one along Central Road (10200 North), as well as the one you mentioned near North Ave. and another where Lawrence becomes Gunniston (there is a stretch where the N-S street names change a quarter block north of Gunniston at the Harwood Heights-Chicago border).

Probably the most pronounced one is that the 159th St. exit on I-94 is on 162nd St. in South Holland, which is correct on a "tape measure" basis from Chicago, but is 159th St. in Harvey. If you go south on Halsted from Riverdale to Harvey, the street numbers repeat. That one also explains how Indiana Ave. becomes State St.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/20/2015 at 9:23 AM, MetroShadow said:

Agreed, This would be great one the Red Line Extension is complete. IMHO, I would go for Blue Island to Hegewisch via 127th/130th Streets. The only issue is that 130th Street is a high traffic truck route with almost no sidewalks between the Bishop Ford and Torrence. The only place that could have a stop would be Stony Island which has a traffic light. Also, the configuration of the new 130th/Torrence/Brainard intersection would be difficult for a bus stop. Perhaps a stop just west of Torrence by the Ford plant would be best.  

21 hours ago, Zol87 said:

Agreed, This would be great one the Red Line Extension is complete. IMHO, I would go for Blue Island to Hegewisch via 127th/130th Streets. The only issue is that 130th Street is a high traffic truck route with almost no sidewalks between the Bishop Ford and Torrence. The only place that could have a stop would be Stony Island which has a traffic light. Also, the configuration of the new 130th/Torrence/Brainard intersection would be difficult for a bus stop. Perhaps a stop just west of Torrence by the Ford plant would be best.  

With the proper sidewalk installation/ADA compliance and traffic calming (read: make the stretch walkable and not a war zone), it should mitigate those issues.