A charter... Straight Out of the '70s!

r-schauer

Hello folks-

Tickets are now available for an all-day charter that's STRAIGHT OUT OF THE '70s!  We'll use CTA's historically-painted 2400-series cars to tour the 'L system on Sunday, June 21st (Father's Day).  Saturday, June 27th.  The trip will leave Dempster-Skokie terminal at 9:00 am.  This charter is strictly limited to 140 participants, so visit  http://www.irm.org/events/ctacharter.html for more information and to purchase tickets now.

This excursion is a fundraiser for the Illinois Railway Museum's 2200- and 2400-series 'L cars.

Thanks,

Richard Schauer

Illinois Railway Museum volunteer

EDIT:  Changed from the 21st to the 27th due to newly scheduled track work.  5/22/15 RS

Edited by r-schauer
date changed
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Btrain..., yes it is lots of work, but (we hope) the payoff is worth it for the riders.  Donations can be mailed in to IRM (PO Box 427, Union, IL 60180-0427) and simply write where you specifically want the donation to go ("CTA 2200s" or "CTA 2400s", etc.) in the memo box of the check or within the cover letter - better yet, both.  You can also donate online via the IRM website (www.irm.org).  Click on "Museum Store" in the middle of the page.  Once in the store, click on "Donations" and then "Electric Car Department" and you'll see a list of a number of different cars/funds.  The direct link to the 2200s is http://www3.irm.org/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=1937 and the direct link to the 2400s is http://www3.irm.org/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=1936 .  The online donations work in multiples of $25.  You can do as many as you want, no limit!!  Within the store there are many other funds that can be donated to (Trolley Bus and Motor Bus Departments immediately come to mind).  Thanks again to you and everyone on this list for your continued support of IRM.  We could NOT do what we do without all of you.

• Upvote 2

Due to the issues on the Swift, the trip has been cancelled.  No replacement date has been set.  Thanks to everyone who supported the trip - refunds are in the works.

​I know that it's the right thing to do, but couldn't you have just ran the other seven lines with these cars and done the Yellow Line portion at a later date? Just maybe tell your ticket holders to keep their tickets and they'll be valid when you can do that leg of the trip, like they do with a rain out at a Cubs/Sox game for a Doubleheader?

I could see if these cars are sitting in Skokie Shops as to why the charter is cancelled, as it's unsafe to move them for the charter. But if they're in 63rd Yard or Howard Yard, couldn't the charter still go on as planned minus the Yellow Line?

​I know that it's the right thing to do, but couldn't you have just ran the other seven lines with these cars and done the Yellow Line portion at a later date? Just maybe tell your ticket holders to keep their tickets and they'll be valid when you can do that leg of the trip, like they do with a rain out at a Cubs/Sox game for a Doubleheader?

I could see if these cars are sitting in Skokie Shops as to why the charter is cancelled, as it's unsafe to move them for the charter. But if they're in 63rd Yard or Howard Yard, couldn't the charter still go on as planned minus the Yellow Line?

I'm going based on the assumption you've noticed that the trip was rescheduled.

​I don't know where the 2400s are stored, but I believe that the saved 2000s and the two 4000s were held at Skokie Shops for a while. Also, the trip was scheduled to begin and end at Dempster-Skokie, where there is parking. The other stations with decent parking and/or that have been used for IRM charters are Harlem/Lake, Forest Park, Rosemont, and Midway, all of which might not have the 2400s in their associated yards, so the charter crew would have to get up bright and early to position the train at the boarding station.

• Upvote 3

I'm going based on the assumption you've noticed that the trip was rescheduled.

​I don't know where the 2400s are stored, but I believe that the saved 2000s and the two 4000s were held at Skokie Shops for a while. Also, the trip was scheduled to begin and end at Dempster-Skokie, where there is parking. The other stations with decent parking and/or that have been used for IRM charters are Harlem/Lake, Forest Park, Rosemont, and Midway, all of which might not have the 2400s in their associated yards, so the charter crew would have to get up bright and early to position the train at the boarding station.

​I'm thinking there is no reschedule at this time, MTRSP1900-CTA3200...

EDIT....EDIT....DATE CHANGED.....SATURDAY, JUNE 27....The CTA 2400 Historical Cars shown reflecting from downtown buildings along Wabash Ave. The charter on SATURDAY,  JUNE 27, is scheduled to use these cars.

P1110839.jpg

​chicagopcclcar said the date was rescheduled to 6/27/15(posted 5/15/15)

Due to the issues on the Swift, the trip has been cancelled.  No replacement date has been set.  Thanks to everyone who supported the trip - refunds are in the works.

However, Piesciuk says the trip has been cancelled and no replacement date has been set. This post was made 5/28/15. Judging by his posts, he's either actively at IRM or a member or IRM.​

2400 Historical Cars are at Skokie so they are not available.

DH

​Thanks for the info.

Thanks Btrain..., yes it is lots of work, but (we hope) the payoff is worth it for the riders.  Donations can be mailed in to IRM (PO Box 427, Union, IL 60180-0427) and simply write where you specifically want the donation to go ("CTA 2200s" or "CTA 2400s", etc.) in the memo box of the check or within the cover letter - better yet, both.  You can also donate online via the IRM website (www.irm.org).  Click on "Museum Store" in the middle of the page.  Once in the store, click on "Donations" and then "Electric Car Department" and you'll see a list of a number of different cars/funds.  The direct link to the 2200s is http://www3.irm.org/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=1937 and the direct link to the 2400s is http://www3.irm.org/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=1936 .  The online donations work in multiples of $25.  You can do as many as you want, no limit!!  Within the store there are many other funds that can be donated to (Trolley Bus and Motor Bus Departments immediately come to mind).  Thanks again to you and everyone on this list for your continued support of IRM.  We could NOT do what we do without all of you.

​I'm thinking of donating for the 2400s when I get my first paycheck.

Dave is correct, the 2400s are at Skokie Shops which is currently cut off from the rest of the system.  Sorry I didn't explain that in my original post.  We had a couple options to still do the trip, but thought that the cleanest/simplest solution was to cancel and do it at a later date.  sw4400 is correct, I am an active volunteer at IRM.

• Upvote 1