Yellow Line Shoefly

strictures

How long would it take to build a shoefly around the washed out section to get the line back in service? After all, the MWRD's contractor will have to pay for it, along with the lost revenue due to running the bus shuttles & possibly the layoffs of the shop workers, if they can't be reassigned to other shops for the duration of the closing. Even if it's a slow zone at 5 MPH, it would be an improvement over what's going on now.

It can't be a very long section & I assume they could go through the area where the District is building the new sewage plant for several weeks without disturbing the construction, since it's probable that they've had to shut that down.

I'd think the CTA would like to get access from the system to the Skokie Shops even more than getting the Swift back in operation.

My guess would be no less than it would take to just complete repair on the damaged area.. The grade is damaged and washed/collapsed away.

You would need some sort of grade to build the shoe fly, and there may not really be room to do so anyway, as is this next to the bridge (IIRC).

Good thought, but probably not a real solution this time.

I think trainman is right. If it is any consolation, we had some very heavy rains here in San Diego that left several parking lots (and the cars parked within) under three feet of water after a flash flood.

Mother Nature reminding us who's boss.

My guess would be no less than it would take to just complete repair on the damaged area.. The grade is damaged and washed/collapsed away.

You would need some sort of grade to build the shoe fly, and there may not really be room to do so anyway, as is this next to the bridge (IIRC).

Good thought, but probably not a real solution this time.

​I was thinking more like the shoefly the CTA built over the Wood St. rail yards, just north of the 18th St. station maybe 15- 20 years ago. That was on girders. Only a single track shoe fly would be needed due to the low volume of trains & it possibly could be a gantlet, to avoid switches.

Just a thought.