Rail line platform length

MRM

http://chicago.suntimes.com/transportation/7/71/751147/cta-add-service-taste-chicago-crosstown-classic-gold-cup-finals

Article says:

"The CTA will run longer trains on the Red, Blue, Brown, Orange, Green and Yellow lines from Wednesday through Sunday."

What does the mean? I assumed that longer trains could be run on green and yellow lines. How long of trains can be run on each line? I though Red, Blue and Brown were at their limit. (at 8 cars?)

http://chicago.suntimes.com/transportation/7/71/751147/cta-add-service-taste-chicago-crosstown-classic-gold-cup-finals

Article says:

"The CTA will run longer trains on the Red, Blue, Brown, Orange, Green and Yellow lines from Wednesday through Sunday."

What does the mean? I assumed that longer trains could be run on green and yellow lines. How long of trains can be run on each line? I though Red, Blue and Brown were at their limit. (at 8 cars?)

well, yellow doesn't count, but normally trains are run at 8-car length. The context should've been more frequent service throughout the midday and evening hours.

8 cars are the limit, but Blue and Brown don't always run 8 cars (the message probably refers to longer trains on weekends).

But when the PR department has boilerplate, it uses it.

"will run longer trains" means that if the line runs shorter trains in non rush-hours, or weekends, trains would remain maximum length, for that line, all day. Maximum lengths for Red, Blue, Orange, and Brown lines is eight-car trains.  Maximum lengths for Green and Purple lines is six-car trains.  Management could extend Pink line four-car trains if it was deemed advisable. Yellow line trains are always two-car trains.  

Article says:

This is what cta actually sent out. The Sun-Times chose boilerplate that included the Yellow line which is of course closed. It is a mixture of additional trains and running longer trains at times when fewer cars are the norm.

Additional rail service:

Red Line

Wednesday – Friday: Longer trains will operate until 12 a.m. In addition, trains will operate with increased frequency from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Saturday/Sunday: Longer trains will operate until 12 a.m. Trains will operate with increased frequency from 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Blue Line

Wednesday – Friday: Longer trains will operate until 12 a.m.  

Saturday/Sunday: Longer trains will operate from 9 a.m. until 11 p.m.

Brown Line

Wednesday – Friday: Longer trains will operate from 10 a.m. until 11 p.m.

Saturday/Sunday: Longer trains will operate from 9 a.m. until 11 p.m.

Orange Line

Wednesday – Friday: Longer trains will operate from 10 a.m. until approximately 11p.m.

Saturday/Sunday: Longer trains will operate from 9 a.m. until 12 a.m. 

Green Line

Wednesday – Friday: Longer trains will operate from 9:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.

Yellow Line

Service on the Yellow Line continues to be suspended. Yellow Line customers can board free shuttle buses at Yellow Line stations (Dempster-Skokie, Oakton-Skokie and Howard) to travel between Dempster and Howard. From Wednesday until Sunday, Yellow Line shuttle buses will operate until 12 a.m. from Howard. 

• Upvote 2