Railroad crossing malfunction

MRChiCity

Hello,  I have always wondered when reporting a railroad crossing malfunction should you call the police, railroad or booth?Also when I have called the railroad to report suspected malfunctioning crossing they do not ask for a Mile post number or a crossing ID number do the railroads now have accurate mapping software?  And last but not least are train crews required to flag the crossing and if so how do they do it?  Dose the conductor get off the train walk up to the crossing, stop traffic, and signal the engineer to move forward, then once the train is in the crossing re-board? Thank you. 

Hello,  I have always wondered when reporting a railroad crossing malfunction should you call the police, railroad or booth?

Calling just the railroad is usually good enough most of the time.  But if an accident has occurred, or if there's a car stuck on the tracks, the police should also be notified.

Also when I have called the railroad to report suspected malfunctioning crossing they do not ask for a Mile post number or a crossing ID number do the railroads now have accurate mapping software? 

Not sure what you mean by "mapping software", but the sign posted on signal cabinets at railroad crossings normally has phone number of the railroad, plus the milepost number and IDOT number.  It's also helpful if you happen to know the subdivision name as well, although that's not always possible if you're unfamiliar with that particular railroad at that location.

And last but not least are train crews required to flag the crossing and if so how do they do it?  Dose the conductor get off the train walk up to the crossing, stop traffic, and signal the engineer to move forward, then once the train is in the crossing re-board? Thank you. 

That depends on the kind of malfunction involved.  On UP for instance, when a gate malfunction is reported, dispatchers will advise crews to use either an "XH"  or an "XG" procedure.   The former is applied when gates are stuck in the down position, and requires trains to travel at a restricted speed with plenty of horn and bell while going thru the crossing.   The latter is used when the gates don't come down, but the bells and flashers are activated; in which case trains have to stop, then are flagged thru per your example above.   Other railroads may use slightly different nomenclature in these situations, but the principle and practices are the same...

• Upvote 2

Hello,  I have always wondered when reporting a railroad crossing malfunction should you call the police, railroad or booth?Also when I have called the railroad to report suspected malfunctioning crossing they do not ask for a Mile post number or a crossing ID number do the railroads now have accurate mapping software?  And last but not least are train crews required to flag the crossing and if so how do they do it?  Dose the conductor get off the train walk up to the crossing, stop traffic, and signal the engineer to move forward, then once the train is in the crossing re-board? Thank you. 

Every control box for the crossing gates has a phone number painted on it to call in a problem.

Every control box for the crossing gates has a phone number painted on it to call in a problem.

Correct. Also, as metx161 points out, most cross bucks. I noted that in Lake County, there is a sign at the side of the road for most crossings with the railroad and telephone number.

• 5 weeks later...

Check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJuFpTKRtgg what do you all think? Should emergency responders be able to communicate directley with train crews? Thanks

IMO, the current practice of police and fire dept.personnel notifying the railroad during emergencies via their dispatcher is a better method.  The railroad can then relay this info to the dispatcher, who would have knowledge of all traffic in the area, and notify them accordingly that signals are being taken down, and more importantly, traffic will be stopped immediately through the area...

...That depends on the kind of malfunction involved.  On UP for instance, when a gate malfunction is reported, dispatchers will advise crews to use either an "XH"  or an "XG" procedure.   The former is applied when gates are stuck in the down position, and requires trains to travel at a restricted speed with plenty of horn and bell while going thru the crossing...

Witnessed this today before and while picking up someone from the 6:28 train in Woodstock. I left work and drove parallel to the tracks, and that's when I first noticed something odd. There were little electrical looking boxes/cabinets that don't really catch your eye normally, but they had strobe lights flashing on top of them this time. I arrived at the station parking lot at around 6:12, only to see the gates already down. I thought this was weird, since the train is usually a little late. The gates stayed down until about 6:20, when they went up and cars could cross again. Then around 6:26 they went down again until about 6:29. Finally, around 6:35, the gates went down again and the train arrived a few minutes later, making a racket with its horn. I wanted to film it, but I didn't have my good camera, and it was starting to rain a good amount.:(

Later I went out to dinner around 7 and the trains were still blasting their horns. I could hear them while I was eating.