West Side Express Bus Schedules

Busjack

As I mentioned, the new express bus schedules are on the CTA's site. Seeing where the runs start and end, the reasonable inference is that X9 is out of 74th and X20 and X54 are out of Chicago. The X9 shows amazing growth--at least 15 buses to maintain an all day schedule every 12 minutes on a 3 hour round trip. X54 needs at least 9 buses to maintain 15 minute all day service on a round trip of a bit over 2 hours. X20 runs only rush hour.

Because all 127 runs start and end at Roosevelt/Wabash, can't really tell from which garage it is based.

As previously mentioned in connection with deadheading, you get later service going southbound on X9. That might make sense.

The 9, 20, and 54 schedules don't seem to have been replaced.

Kedzie makes more sense for 127, but the reason I'm not saying it is definitive is that it would be more obvious if the runs started on the west side of the route. Could also be a south side bus that makes a few trips before deadheading back. (The Regional ADA plan mentioned in the Garages thread notes that the old 127 was out of 77th, but the old route had a more eastern orientation.) We'll see on Monday.

As for 156, it was Limits (Clark/Schubert) barn, but most of Limits runs were transferred to Kedzie. Those that go further north (such as 145) went to North Park. Other downtown to Belmont/Halsted routes, such as 134 and some 151s are also out of Kedzie (although apparently fewer 151s than before). Also, Madison was transferred to Chicago, even though it is closer to Kedzie. I guess that was needed to balance things out.

A driver on another group says that 37 Sedgwick will be out of North Park.

I guess it is surprising that even though this was a west side project, very little of it affects Kedzie (primarily the 21 and 52 extensions, and probably 127).

For the 127, my guess is Kedzie. Why I don't know. Just a hunch.

You're right on the money. Its out of Kedzie.

A driver on another group says that 37 Sedgwick will be out of North Park.

Confirmed too (this would've been the day I should've taken a camera), because I saw a 5800 on the #37 this afternoon.

And while I'm at it, I jumped on an X9 earlier too, and it seems to me that the drivers are going very slowly, and the local buses are catching up or even passing the expresses, which made no sense (and I lost time because of that).

Also, Madison was transferred to Chicago, even though it is closer to Kedzie. I guess that was needed to balance things out.

Probably because Madison was an old North Ave route and just about all of the old North Ave runs are now at Chicago Ave. The only exceptions I can think of that are not are 77 Belmont and 86 Narragansett which are still out of Forest Glen (they didn't go to Chicago when it opened up).

Based on their schedules, the X20 and X54 first short trips start from Chicago(X54) and Pulaski(X20). So those are out of Chicago. 38 and 127 are out of Kedzie. The X9 is out of 74th. I was unsure of the 37. Thanks for clarifying that one. You can pretty much figure out which garage a bus route is from by checking which street the short trips in the early morning or at the end the routes run at night. for example a North/south route from Kedzie garage will have those trips begin or end at Jackson because the kedzie garage is at Kadzie and Jackson.

• 1 month later...