GPTC BRT

Busjack

• 1 month later...

If I read their schedule right, they're planning to give details of routing, route name, route alignment details, frequency, and type of buses used some time this June. Road and station construction it looks like they want to start some time in Sept with completion some time in the April-June timeframe of next year and full route launch soon after station construction and installation is complete. Oh and their presentation slides describe this service as BRT-lite. So sounds like it's going to be similar to CTA's J14.

10 hours ago, jajuan said:

Oh and their presentation slides describe this service as BRT-lite. So sounds like it's going to be similar to CTA's J14.

Aside from whether any vehicular traffic would be affected, Broadway is a state highway (Ind. 53), which limits what the city can do there, also it affects 3 cities (Gary. Merrilville, and Crown Point).

8 hours ago, Busjack said:

Aside from whether any vehicular traffic would be affected, Broadway is a state highway (Ind. 53), which limits what the city can do there, also it affects 3 cities (Gary. Merrilville, and Crown Point).

Oh yeah I saw that. That apparently was what GPTC referred to when it made reference to its partners.

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

The BRT is planned to have 20 minute frequencies. Supposedly the GPTC Board will decide the final south end routing at the November meeting. It looks like they're aiming for a system re-numbering, and a launch of the BRT next summer.

http://www.gptcbus.com/board_files/Nov 3 2016.pdf

Presentation on possible south end routing.

5 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

Presentation on possible south end routing.

What's notable is that it is basically to get people from Gary to Merrillville and maybe Crown Point, as opposed to saying anything about redeveloping Broadway in Gary, which was supposed to be the original impetus.*

On the naming, I'm surprised they didn't use CTA alliteration, such as Broadway Belch. Pace Pulse got voted down.

______

*Reminds me of a derogatory interpretation of MARTA.

Just now, Busjack said:

What's notable is that it is basically to get people from Gary to Merrillville and maybe Crown Point, as opposed to saying anything about redeveloping Broadway in Gary, which was supposed to be the original impetus.*

The emphasis in that presentation was basically just to decide the south end routing. The goal of redeveloping Broadway within Gary is already understood and has been addressed elsewhere. This route needs to go to at least Merrillville on the south end, as BRT can't be successful if it's strictly a local service.

7 minutes ago, Busjack said:

On the naming, I'm surprised they didn't use CTA alliteration, such as Broadway Belch. Pace Pulse got voted down.

The name that was chosen, "Broadway Metro Express", is the one I would have voted for. It's catchy while still describing exactly what the service is.

2 hours ago, Pace831 said:

The emphasis in that presentation was basically just to decide the south end routing.

Even if so, the board meeting seems to have a broader scope, and the intent to get to the destinations I mentioned seemed manifest.It looks similar to if a proposal were to send the X49 to Old Orchard (especially given the alternative of feeders in Merillville and Hobart)..

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

GPTC is launching the Merrillville Shuttle (Route R5) tomorrow, about a month in advance of the Broadway Metro Express launch. The service runs every 40 minutes, weekdays. This is the first route in the new numbering convention. 

http://www.gptcbus.com/routes_files/Rte R5 - Merrillville Shuttle.pdf

Some Board Meeting updates as well:

• Lakeshore routes were funded by City of Hammond and Lake County, preventing elimination.
  • Agreement with "Token Transit", which is an fare payment phone app.
  • Broadway Metro Express launches on February 19th.
  • The Ivy Tech South Broadway Shuttle had the naming rights purchased by Ivy Tech College, and is also starting on February 19th.

http://www.gptcbus.com/board_files/Jan 4 2018.pdf

NWI Times article:

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/gary-public-transportation-preparing-february-launch-of-broadway-metro-express/article_36bb40b5-7ff2-59c7-bb07-bdd56f2d3283.html

• Thanks 1

Going through all of this, I also noted:

• Token Transit lets a rider show the phone to pay the fare, something the Ventra app doesn't do on CTA or Pace.
  • GPTC was going to cancel Lakeshore South if Hammond and Lake County didn't kick in (via a link in the linked NWI Times article).
  • Part of the  Broadway project is farmers' markets along rhe route.

• 2 years later...

UPDATE: Starting Tuesday, Sept. 8, the Broadway Metro Express route is extended south to the Lake County Government Center and will also serve the Ivy Tech and Purdue campus in Crown Point. It is back to the 2001 routing of the old Route 17 South Broadway Express when it was extended to Downtown Gary from 35th.

https://www.gptcbus.com/broadway-metro-express/

• Upvote 1