Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pace831

2018 Metra Budget

Recommended Posts

Direct link to the service cuts: https://metrarail.com/sites/default/files/assets/communications/handout_8.5x11_proposedservicechanges_2018_003.pdf

  • Rock Island: Evening service consolidated to 90 min frequency. One PM reverse peak Joliet express and Beverly local are combined.
  • Southwest Service: 1 weekday round trip starts/ends at 179th instead of Manhattan.
  • North Central Service: The two skip-stop trains at peak are consolidated into one trip
  • Milwaukee District - North: Two Sat. and one Sun. round trip eliminated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tcmetro said:

Direct link to the service cuts: https://metrarail.com/sites/default/files/assets/communications/handout_8.5x11_proposedservicechanges_2018_003.pdf

  • Rock Island: Evening service consolidated to 90 min frequency. One PM reverse peak Joliet express and Beverly local are combined.
  • Southwest Service: 1 weekday round trip starts/ends at 179th instead of Manhattan.
  • North Central Service: The two skip-stop trains at peak are consolidated into one trip
  • Milwaukee District - North: Two Sat. and one Sun. round trip eliminated.

RI: Also the last round trip gets eliminated. And inbound #526 gets eliminated and replaced with a new train about two hours later.

I don't know how many ride the 12:30 outbound currently, but most of them could probably leave earlier to get on the 11:45 (if they don't miss the train because of drunkenness).

SWS: From personal observation, hardly anyone rides these trains beyond 179th, so this cut isn't surprising. It isn't unusual for the train to be completely empty. Interestingly, Manhattan will now have more service on Saturday than weekdays.

NCS: This isn't really a service reduction, as long as the combined train doesn't become overcrowded. But I'd bet there is enough capacity.

MDN: The "limited stop" trips are the ones being cut. There's no need for that level of service on weekends.

Conclusion: None of these cuts are very drastic so the decision to save money makes a lot of sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pace831 said:

SWS: From personal observation, hardly anyone rides these trains beyond 179th, so this cut isn't surprising. It isn't unusual for the train to be completely empty. Interestingly, Manhattan will now have more service on Saturday than weekdays.

I don't know  if your reference was just to particlar trains, or to the SWS, generally, but if the latter, kills the rationale for the extension.

2 hours ago, Pace831 said:

NCS: This isn't really a service reduction, as long as the combined train doesn't become overcrowded. But I'd bet there is enough capacity.

The rationale for the split train was that Metra promised a certain number of trains, and the addition of stations in the Franklin Park area made service too slow. The question will be whether riders in the Buffalo Grove  area will complain again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I don't know  if your reference was just to particlar trains, or to the SWS, generally, but if the latter, kills the rationale for the extension.

I was referring specifically to ridership at Laraway Road and Manhattan on the trains that are being cut.

Some specific observations about those trains: A few years ago I took a joyride to Manhattan and back. There were no passengers going to Laraway and one going to Manhattan, who mentioned she was going home early for a medical appointment. On the return trip, no one else boarded at either stop. Another time I got on inbound at Laraway with two other people.

Even rush hour isn't that great. I once watched the two evening trains stop at Laraway. 20 people got off the first one and 3 got off the second. The parking lots tend to have a dozen or so vehicles during the day.

Saturdays are bad too. The two stops combined might get 5 or 6 riders for the day. I was at first surprised they didn't try to cut back Saturday service too, but union jobs/rules might complicate that.

On the midday round trip that is being cut, the crew changes inbound at 179th. Laraway Road is treated as a flag stop although not listed as such in the timetable.

The extension to Manhattan opened in 2006, when population growth estimates for the area were unrealistically high. The types of development that would attract Metra riders seem to have been mostly stagnant since then. There was a slight population increase, but not enough to significantly boost ridership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

I was referring specifically to ridership at Laraway Road and Manhattan on the trains that are being cut.

Some specific observations about those trains: A few years ago I took a joyride to Manhattan and back. There were no passengers going to Laraway and one going to Manhattan, who mentioned she was going home early for a medical appointment. On the return trip, no one else boarded at either stop. Another time I got on inbound at Laraway with two other people.

Even rush hour isn't that great. I once watched the two evening trains stop at Laraway. 20 people got off the first one and 3 got off the second. The parking lots tend to have a dozen or so vehicles during the day.

Saturdays are bad too. The two stops combined might get 5 or 6 riders for the day. I was at first surprised they didn't try to cut back Saturday service too, but union jobs/rules might complicate that.

On the midday round trip that is being cut, the crew changes inbound at 179th. Laraway Road is treated as a flag stop although not listed as such in the timetable.

The extension to Manhattan opened in 2006, when population growth estimates for the area were unrealistically high. The types of development that would attract Metra riders seem to have been mostly stagnant since then. There was a slight population increase, but not enough to significantly boost ridership.

**Semi un-related** I wanted to add that the Electric district rider ship has been less than normal since the schedule adjustment. Also, a few riders have complained to me that the schedule change is not well coordinated with the PACE bus schedules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, richii0909 said:

**Semi un-related** I wanted to add that the Electric district rider ship has been less than normal since the schedule adjustment. Also, a few riders have complained to me that the schedule change is not well coordinated with the PACE bus schedules.

Which Pace routes are they riding and at what times? A quick glance at the schedules indicates generally longer transfer times in Harvey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Which Pace routes are they riding and at what times? A quick glance at the schedules indicates generally longer transfer times in Harvey.

These were customers at the 211th stop. General time is now the 9:55am formerly 10:05am weekday and weekend now 1:47pm formerly the 1:57pm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, richii0909 said:

These were customers at the 211th stop. General time is now the 9:55am formerly 10:05am weekday and weekend now 1:47pm formerly the 1:57pm. 

Usually Pace makes changes after Metra does, but 357 also has the Chicago Heights pulse point that requires coordination. The new schedule did mess up the connection, with the westbound bus arriving two minutes after the train.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

Usually Pace makes changes after Metra does, but 357 also has the Chicago Heights pulse point that requires coordination. The new schedule did mess up the connection, with the westbound bus arriving two minutes after the train.

Oh ok yes... customers were very upset and I believe because of the metra change now the ridership is low... those passengers would have to wait around an hour for next train which would be pointless. Also, I've noticed less people at usual stops than before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×