CTA 2022 Historical Calendar

Busjack

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Then...

halsted.thumb.png.763529416af4019f655ac26b40ca6978.pngn ..

The current relevance:

Whole Foods Market at 63rd and Halsted to close.

60 or so years from thriving business district to wasteland.

Latoya! To see my old neighborhood in this condition.  O was shocked when they built that Whole Foods.  I guess the regentrification that was expected has never kicked in. 

10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Latoya! To see my old neighborhood in this condition.  O was shocked when they built that Whole Foods.  I guess the regentrification that was expected has never kicked in. 

What surprised me when I first saw this was all the furniture stores, and that Sears, which was the dominant business on the corner of 63rd and Halsted, is way in the background. I assume the L appears way in the back. On the other hand, I remember a 5700 series bus, although more on 69th routes.

The one saving grace is that the article says the TIF agreement says there has to be a grocery there, although I don't know how the city can, as a practical matter, enforce that. I also don't see Bezos saying that he will put an Amazon Fresh there, like he says nearly everywhere else.