CNG vs Electric

Was reading a few articles about CNG and it doesn't seem too bad vs. All the headaches of electric especially in the bus market. The price of cng is a little over half the price of fuel so its cheap. It burns pretty clean. When you factor in the CO2 emissions it takes to manufacture and use, it's just a little worse than electric. Electric vehicles reduce emissions by 33 percent versus cng at 26. 

Even automobile cng use has risen by 56 percent higher sales last year due to the price of fuel. 

Seems like the Pace cng buses just whiz by. No problems or concerns. At my company we have cngs. No issues by me. It's too bad cta is gun shy of purchasing such equipment. Fires in propane buses of the past fuel such fears, but the electric buses have risks too. The batteries are very flammable so in a way its the same risk as gas.  The prices vs electric to purchase a vehicle are much lower. Pace should put a heavier emphasis on cng. We will see how their electric bus adventure turns out. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Was reading a few articles about CNG and it doesn't seem too bad vs. All the headaches of electric especially in the bus market. The price of cng is a little over half the price of fuel so its cheap. It burns pretty clean. When you factor in the CO2 emissions it takes to manufacture and use, it's just a little worse than electric. Electric vehicles reduce emissions by 33 percent versus cng at 26. 

Even automobile cng use has risen by 56 percent higher sales last year due to the price of fuel. 

Seems like the Pace cng buses just whiz by. No problems or concerns. At my company we have cngs. No issues by me. It's too bad cta is gun shy of purchasing such equipment. Fires in propane buses of the past fuel such fears, but the electric buses have risks too. The batteries are very flammable so in a way its the same risk as gas.  The prices vs electric to purchase a vehicle are much lower. Pace should put a heavier emphasis on cng. We will see how their electric bus adventure turns out. 

I took note of what Melinda Metzger said at the Pace board meeting today when she said Pace wanted to be zero emissions by 2040.  To me, that is different from being all electric ny 2040.  So hopefully NW and S can REMAIN for the foreseeable future.  We will see how Pace plans for the other garages, but we know Plainfield will be set up for electric buses.   We know N will be also.

Apparently CTA has decided to make 3 and C the first garages to be all electric.   To that end, I say they should purchase st lead 5 electric artics.

On 8/17/2022 at 4:41 PM, artthouwill said:

I took note of what Melinda Metzger said at the Pace board meeting today when she said Pace wanted to be zero emissions by 2040.  To me, that is different from being all electric ny 2040.  So hopefully NW and S can REMAIN for the foreseeable future.  We will see how Pace plans for the other garages, but we know Plainfield will be set up for electric buses.   We know N will be also.

Apparently CTA has decided to make 3 and C the first garages to be all electric.   To that end, I say they should purchase st lead 5 electric artics.

DASH has 4 or 5 XE60's and they're amazing. My usual bus route leaves from the Pentagon, so I've seen them operate on the highway, regular streets and even apartment complex roadways. Handles exactly like a regular artic, but the acceleration is out of this world (and the brakes are also equally good to match). I've had bus drivers take those buses and drive like they drive for Greyhound. Super quiet as well, you hear more noise of the wheels on the ground than you do the engine. When I get on mobile, I can add some pictures